The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2013, 09:21 PM   #1
hunterschade

how to make a rimmed cartridge rimless

I am new to this form but not new to firearms. For a long time now I have wanted to build my own wildcat cartridge. I was thinking of taking a .45 long colt and necking it down to a 9mm opening. I think that this could be a hot little round and would be great for a carbine. But the only problem is that as you all know, the long colt is a rimmed cartridge and although I could still use it in a rifle, it has the potential to jam A LOT with rim lock. So I was just wondering if there was an easy way to remove the rim to make it a rimless cartridge that would work with a rifle better. Also, I know that doing this is expensive, but no one has really give me an estimate, how much does it really cost to have your own personal bullet made and a gun to fit it?

Thanks ~
Hunter
Old January 10, 2013, 09:46 PM   #2
hk33ka1

Perhaps use a cut down .308 Win case as the parent instead?
Old January 10, 2013, 10:40 PM   #3
Newton24b

460 rowland case would be interesting for this.

however as you think youd like to do a carbine, why make it semi auto?
Old January 11, 2013, 09:59 AM   #4
griz

Sounds like a shortened version of the 358 Winchester.
Old January 11, 2013, 10:04 AM   #5
mavracer

google 357 auto mag
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old January 11, 2013, 01:32 PM   #6
oldpapps

In the early 70's I tried to make up some .35 MAS brass (a weird French auto pistol). I chucked up some .357 mag brass (mostly for more length to work with) and spun them on a file to get the head I needed. After trimming and sizing (a lot) they would fit. I loaded cast 121gr round nose 9MM bullets and I think it was unique powder. They functioned, more or less. But it wasn't worth all of the work. I gave that pistol to the Sheriff for display. Black enamel paint and all.

Turned rimmed brass into rimless.

I think I would start with a rimless case and make what ever changes very simple to do. Also, check out the problems, real or not, with the 22 Jet. Never had one but they looked interesting, then with the bad stories, I looked to other toys.

Be safe,

OSOK
Old January 11, 2013, 02:54 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

Start with .44 Auto Mag or .45 Winchester Mag, instead.

Or...
Contact Quality Cartridge. They'll make anything you want ...with reasonable minimum order quantities (though, tooling costs for something new might make your head spin).
Old January 11, 2013, 06:26 PM   #8
Scorch

Check the dimensions you want to achieve against existing cartridges, it will save you a lot of time and headaches. 45 win mag is already the size you want, and it is rimless. As someone else noted, it sounds like you are trying to reinvent the 357 Auo Mag.
Old January 11, 2013, 08:54 PM   #9
Two Old Dogs

OLDPAPPS I can find no reference to a cartridge called .35 MAS or a pistol to shoot it. Please provide further information on both the cartridge and the pistol. I'd be interested to study the history of this cartridge.
Old January 11, 2013, 09:56 PM   #10
oldpapps

Two Old Dogs,

Not sure just what it was. I got it from the Sheriff I was working for.

It was a simple blow back auto loader with a single column detachable magazine. Mag release on the bottom of the grip. Reminded me of the cheap little Berettas only this was not in .32 or .380 auto. The bore was about .35 cal (I used soft cast 9MM bullets). The brass, well I didn't have any so I did my best to make it. Thicker/fatter than standard 9MM and longer. The finish was black paint on steel, could have been a alloy. All marking were in what I believe to be French. On the side of the slide in larger letters was "M.A.S. 35" and I never found a serial number. The grips actually felt good, hard black rubber with worn checkering molded in. I figured it to be a pre WW2 French made weapon. I dough that it would pass any military standards, a guessing speculation.

As I remember I ended up with 3 cases that would chamber and loaded them 2 or 3 times each. I ended up single feeding them. Didn't trust that pistol enough to load very warm, they were weak loads. I don't trust junk guns very much.

This was early 1970s and that Sheriff is long dead now, Nice guy too.

So what was it? I always called it a MAS 35. I know I don't have any photos but may have some data. I'll look around. Don't hold your breath, I'm a pack rat.

Enjoy,

OSOK
Old January 11, 2013, 10:21 PM   #11
oldpapps

Two Old Dogs,

OK, I'm getting old/er. I found a listing. See:
Pistolet automatique modèle 1935A (Automatic Pistol Model 1935A) or Modèle (Mle.) 1935 A

For the life of me I thought and still do, that the mag release was on the butt.

Looks like I have higher standards for pistols than the French did in the 30s.

The "7.65mm French Longue, 7.65 mm Long, 7.65mm MAS, 7.65×20mm, and 7.65L) was a straight, rimless cartridge used in the French Modèle 1935 pistol" was something I couldn't just pick up in the sporting good section of Red X in the summer/fall of 1972.

Thinking about it now, it's a wonder I didn't kill myself pushing .355 bullets down a 32ish caliber barrel! Oh, to be young again......

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Time for meds, BP and take sugar readings.

Enjoy,

OSOK
Old January 11, 2013, 10:26 PM   #12
oldpapps

hunterschade,

Sorry for hijacking your thread.
I was giving an example of how I had ground off a rim to make a rimless case and, well, it just got a way from me. Sorry.

Enjoy,

OSOK
Old January 13, 2013, 11:19 AM   #13
Two Old Dogs

OLDPAPPS: Using a .355" bullet I'm surprised you got a MAS Model 1935A to chamber at all.

I have formed cartridge cases for the Model 1935A and its succcessor, the Model 1935S in three diffferent ways:

Using .32 S&W Long, turn off rim, cut extractor grove and trim to length.

Swaging .30 carbine cases to .337" after reducing rim to .337" and
trimming to length.

Lathe turning .30 carbine cases to .337 after trimming to length.

All of the above produce usable cases that will function in the Models 1935A and 1935S.

Tags
cost , custom , rim , rimless , wildcat