The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 21, 2015, 01:27 PM   #51
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
The 6 shot .327 SP101 should be a popular option, but apparently some are scared off by the supposed scarcity of the round.
Local gun stores always seem to have it in stock up here. The only issue is that it always seems to be the small boxes of defensive hollow-points. Soft-points can be found for half the price (or better) but it usually involves gun shows or ordering online. I've actually never seen it in FMJ.
Old August 28, 2015, 01:47 AM   #52
mrt949

Just put money down on 2 sp101 's
22 lr & 357 mag 4.2
Old August 28, 2015, 02:28 AM   #53
A pause for the COZ

I have been doing my part. Buying a few boxes of 327 and some 32L.
Have to tell you. Thats real hard for me.
Not a big fan of paying $27 for some thing I can reload for under $5.
Figure if we dont buy some they will quit selling it. So a figure its my Caliber tax.
Old August 28, 2015, 08:35 AM   #54
RJM

I've had sp101's in .357/38 in 3" barrels and 2 1/4" barrels, both spurless and with the hammer spur...all have been pretty good revolvers and the gun handled the .357 well. I wound up trading or selling them off over time though. My favorite version was the 3" barreled version and found it to be a fun range gun. I think the 2 1/4" versions are a little too short for the .357 for me.

My favorite is the 3" barrelled .327 federal magnum that I have kept and most probably won't get rid of. This round in this gun is really perfect. It's my main carry gun nowadays and I take it camping, boating, to the range, sits on the nightstand...ect. It's basically my go-to handgun. The fact I can shoot pretty much any .32 round out of it makes range time fun, plus the .327 fed mag has plenty of power for self defense. It's really a great revolver when chambered for the .327 and I'm glad I was an early adopter of the round.

If I were going to get another sp101, I would probably pick up the 4" barreled .327 fed mag version they have out now. That gun would make a pretty good range gun with it's adjustable sights.

Hogue rubber grips make this gun feel better than the stock grips, although I don't find the stock grips to be all that bad.
Old August 28, 2015, 10:06 AM   #55
4V50 Gary
Staff

Rugers builds things tough. I liked the old Security/Speed/Service Six series. My only concern about the SP101 is the ejector rod that has the center portion milled out. Other than that, it along with the GP series is a worthy successor to the Security/Speed/Service Six model.
Old August 28, 2015, 10:11 AM   #56
Doyle

Quote:
My only concern about the SP101 is the ejector rod that has the center portion milled out.
I noticed that on mine when I took it apart to do a spring change. Very odd. Instead of the rod sliding within a sleeve, it slides along a tab the sits inside that hollowed out rod. I guess the biggest "functional" difference to a user will be for ejecting stuck cases. I'd assume that you'll need to be a little more delicate with the hollow rod - i.e. if you have a stuck case then use a cleaning rod to push it out rather than trying to push it with the ejector rod.
Old August 28, 2015, 12:14 PM   #57
weblance

Quote:
I have been doing my part. Buying a few boxes of 327 and some 32L.
Have to tell you. Thats real hard for me.
Not a big fan of paying $27 for some thing I can reload for under $5.
Figure if we dont buy some they will quit selling it. So a figure its my Caliber tax.
Thats funny. Im doing the same thing. I have around 700 rounds of 327 stashed. I figured I would also be getting brass this way. I dont reload, so factory ammo is my way, but reloading is in my future, and when I start, I will have some brass.
Old August 29, 2015, 10:11 AM   #58
wpsdlrg

I'll put in my two cents.

I've had two SP101's.....a 3" 38 spl. one. made in 1989 (the first year of production).....and a 2.25" 357 mag, made in 1994. Both were very solid, well made and functioned 100 %. I love the modular design and the solid frame. I also really liked the looks of them.

However, both of my SP101's were disappointments. First, I found that the sizing of the chamber throats was all wrong. Apparently this is common with Ruger revolvers. This was true of BOTH guns. The chamber throats were very tight, smaller than the barrel groove diameter. (Chamber throats should always be 0.005 - 0.002 LARGER than groove diameter.) Accuracy problems, leading, etc., were the results of this. So, I recut the chamber throats.

Next, the forcing cones on both SP101's were poorly done. Ruger uses a 5 degree angle for the forcing cones, which is only good for jacketed bullets. Cast bullets virtually require a 10 degree or greater cone angle. Further, the cone on the 2" 357 gun was absurdly deep (over 1/2") and couldn't be recut without leaving a step, which is terrible for accuracy/ leading. The cone on the 3" gun was considerably better....and I was able to fix this one.

Lastly, both guns had slightly over-torqued barrels. By coincidence (or not), both SP101's shot consistently 4" or so to the left at 10 yards, even off a rest (and yes, multiple shooters, different ammo, etc. etc. were tried). Never was able to completely solve this one. It obviously would have required realigning the barrels - but by this time, I was a bit discouraged with the Rugers.

So, in the end, after all of the effort....the SP101's went away. Even after the effort I made with them, they still never shot as well as my S&W K-frames, which required no tweaking. A BIG disappointment for me, because I wanted an SP101 for a long time before I got one......and I REALLY wanted them to work for me. I never seriously considered contacting Ruger about these, as the guns were older production. Perhaps I should have tried that route.

Anyway, I post this story simply by way of telling my true experience with the SP101's. I will NOT bash Ruger, nor would I ever presume that all SP101's would have the same issues. In fact, I would like to have another SP101, IF I could be sure in advance that I wouldn't have to deal with these problems. I consider the SP101 to be a great design and a great revolver, unfortunately (in the case of the two I tried)....let down by poor execution.

As I said, very disappointing. But, I've moved on.
Old August 30, 2015, 08:40 PM   #59
Jbotto

Quote:
LarryBG wrote:
I've had the SP101 in .357 Mag. It is a strong and well made gun. With some polishing and/or springs changed, the trigger improves greatly. Than said, it is too heavy for pocket carry and if I'm going to belt carry I can carry a larger gun with more than a 5 shot capacity. To me, it's like an awkward teenager trying to fit in.
I consider it a Jack of all Trades, Master of none. I bought it as my first handgun when I turned 21. I've easily put over 3000 rounds through it. It's been my daily companion for three years as a carry gun. Yes it's heavy, no it doesn't work in the pocket, yes there are better guns with more capacity to have on your belt or in your waistband. Overall I like it. It has served me well with a pair of Badger boot grips. I am sick of carrying it and have fallen in love with a different carry gun. I can't bring myself to trade it for it though... so I think I'll have it until I die. I plan to put a full sized grip on it when the day comes that it is replaced as a carry gun and use it in the woods and on the range. I think it handles .357's well as I shoot only 158gr LSWC's through it and occasionally some full power self-defense ammo.

Yes, there are many like it, but this one is mine...
Old August 30, 2015, 09:39 PM   #60
sliclee

firepower

A .45 acp doesn't come close to the awesome fire power of a .357 magnum 125 grain Federal HP cartridge at 1425 fps.
If you want enjoyment go to the movies.
If your testing loads for protection of your home and family you want awesome,recoil to your shoulder body and hand.