The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 23, 2015, 06:51 PM   #1
Tom Servo
Staff

Warlock or Spectre?

I've got one of the 22/45 Lite models, and I'm looking for a silencer. I really like the weight and balance of the Warlock. I'll probably also be using it on a 10/22.

I understand the Spectre is rated for .22 WMR and such, but I'll just be using this for .22 LR. Is there any reason I might consider the Spectre instead?
Old April 23, 2015, 07:30 PM   #2
Theohazard

The Spectre is a decibel or two quieter on average than the Warlock is, but that's a difference that will be pretty meaningless in real life.

The real reason for you to get the Spectre is that it has stainless steel baffles instead of aluminum ones; that means you'll have a lot more options when it comes time to clean it, so cleaning could potentially be a lot easier.
Old April 23, 2015, 07:36 PM   #3
Sharkbite

Tom,

I got a Warlock II about a year ago, for much the same reason...22LR only and lightweight.

Heres my thoughts. For a vary rarely used can the Warlock cant be beat. It really doesnt change the balance of the pistol AT ALL.

However. If you are going to shoot it a bunch, cleaning it is a pain. For that reason im going ahead and getting a Sparrow as my next can. I think the Sparrow is a better can then the Spectre. The disassy is super easy, even after its really gunked up

If I had to do it over again...id have gotten the Sparrow to begin with. I dont think the weight of it on the end of my 22/45 would have been a big deal and cleaning would be SO much easier.
Old April 23, 2015, 09:43 PM   #4
el_chupo_

I have both, and a Sparrow. I shoot all three on lighter pistols (22/45 lite, P22, SR22), and while you notice the extra weight, it is not a big enough difference to matter, and others that have shot it feel the same.

The Warlock is a great can, and it was bought to be a light-weight, limited use can. I would buy it again, but it wouldnt be my only .22 can. For that, I would probably go Spectre, even over the Sparrow. Or a Griffin Checkmate, though the Spectre with the click together baffles is easier to assemble.
Old April 23, 2015, 10:02 PM   #5
Sharkbite

Quote:
For that, I would probably go Spectre, even over the Sparrow.
Why Spectre over the Sparrow? Im going to order one this month
Old April 23, 2015, 10:50 PM   #6
Theohazard

I've used both the Spectre and the Sparrow quite a bit, and each has advantages over the other.

The Sparrow is the easiest to clean of the two. The Sparrow is also easier to disassemble when dirty. In fact, there's no .22 silencer on the market (as far as I know) that's easier to disassemble when dirty. The Sparrow is also shorter.

The Spectre is a tiny bit quieter on a pistol. Also, the Sparrow has a very noticeable first-round pop, especially on a pistol, whereas the Spectre has almost no first round pop at all. The Spectre is also thinner.

Both are excellent cans.
Old April 24, 2015, 12:41 PM   #7
el_chupo_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite
Why Spectre over the Sparrow? Im going to order one this month
If it was my only can, I like the lack of FRP on pistols, and the slightly smaller diameter.

If I were getting a second can to go with a Warlock, I would get the Sparrow. And, that is exactly what I did - I got the Sparrow and Warlock at the same time, and the Spectre later as my dad wanted a can as well, and he likes the Warlock.

Both of the them are great, easy to clean using the same methods, to include Dip, pin tumbling, or brushes and picks.

I went Sparrow for the ease of disassembling when gunked up, and it will spend most of its time on SBR .22s with higher volume.

Dont think you have anything to worry about with either, and as Theo states, both are excellent cans.
Old April 24, 2015, 02:20 PM   #8
Sharkbite

Minimizing first round pop is high on my list. That may have just pushed my off the Sparrow and onto the Spectre.

In fact im going to call my crack dealer (aka local NFA shop) and see if they have one in stock.
Old April 24, 2015, 03:44 PM   #9
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite
Minimizing first round pop is high on my list.
Yeah, many people don't care about FRP, and in that case the Sparrow is probably the best .22 can on the market. But if your host has a short barrel and you really don't like FRP, I would recommend you get a different can.
Old April 24, 2015, 04:17 PM   #10
Sharkbite

Theo.

I use mtpl hosts in 22lr. My current handguns are a 22/45 and a 1911/22. FRP is important to me.

Any other recommendations besides the Spectre II?
Old April 24, 2015, 05:19 PM   #11
Theohazard

The AAC Element 2 is very quiet, rated up to .22 mag and .17 HMR, has very little first-round pop, and has stainless steel baffles. But because of its baffle design it requires a tool to take it apart and to push out the baffles.

The new stainless Surefire SF Ryder is intriguing, but I've only played with the aluminum version and I've shot neither one.

The Tactical Solutions Axiom has titanium baffles and uses the same super-quiet baffle design as the Element 2, but it has a sleeve around it to aid in disassembly, kind of like the Sparrow except it's one piece with a small slit down one side. It seems like an awesome design that combines the Sparrow's ease of disassembly with the Element 2's and Spectre's low first round pop. But unfortunately I've never shot one or taken one apart when it was dirty.

I've got 3 NFA items I'm planning on getting in the near future (two of them are just waiting on the Form 3s to clear), but I plan to get a .22 can at some point. And when I do, it will be a toss-up between the Spectre, the Ryder, and the Axiom. The Spectre is known to be an awesome can, but by that time the Ryder will have enough reviews out there that I should have enough information to make an informed decision. The Axiom would be a gamble; in theory it's the perfect all-around mix of disassembly, quietness, low FRP, durability and weight, but it's not popular enough for there to be enough objective reviews out there.
Old April 24, 2015, 05:43 PM   #12
Sharkbite

I think im going to play it safe. My dealer has a Spectre in stock. Looks like another form 4 wait in my future.

Thanks for the help
Old April 24, 2015, 08:24 PM   #13
Theohazard

No problem, my friend. Yeah, as of now the Spectre is definitely the safest choice and probably what I would pick with the information that's out there at the moment.
Old April 26, 2015, 06:50 PM   #14
Deja vu

I went with the AAC Element 2. I use mine on a Ruger 22/45 a Ruger 10/22 clone by tactical solutions and a walther P22.

I could not be more happy with it.

I have 4 NFA items (3 silencers) each one is cool for there own reasons.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old April 26, 2015, 07:36 PM   #15
Tom Servo
Staff

I read up on the specs for the Spectre, and it's rated for .22 Hornet. I have an old Savage in that load, and...and...

Looks like I'll be going with the Spectre then.
Old April 28, 2015, 05:37 PM   #16
Deja vu

Quote:
I read up on the specs for the Spectre, and it's rated for .22 Hornet. I have an old Savage in that load, and...and...

Looks like I'll be going with the Spectre then.
that is a very good reason to get a spectre!

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...