The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

View Poll Results: Should I sell the AR?
Yes, this insanity will end and prices will drop. 30 33.71%
No, too much chance that you can't buy another one. 41 46.07%
I don't know. 18 20.22%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 9, 2013, 02:56 PM   #26
Hairbag

This is not a storm it's not blowing over. Hold on to that AR I could see if you had more but selling the only Ar you own is not a good idea. You can always save money a build a bolt gun later you MAY not ever be able to replace your AR

Last edited by Hairbag; January 9, 2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old January 9, 2013, 03:06 PM   #27
Iron Man

In black rifles I have one AR-15, two AK-47s, one GSG five, and a matched set (2,000 made) of a Sig 556 and a Sig 522 with matching serial numbers. If I were to sell anything it would be the set of Sigs. I would probably sell those for $5,000.00 if someone offered.
Old January 9, 2013, 03:44 PM   #28
BerdanSS

It's an M&P.....if you can at least get a good deal out of it, by that I mean what ever a good price for a used one was six months ago...and you don't want the thing anymore, then sell it. If someone offers you MORE than good price, and you don't want it anymore....go for it full throttle.

The two things I understand the least right now:

#1 the assumption that since pretty much every dealer is taking advantage of people, that the the gun you have now is "worth" any more than what is was when you bought it.....they aren't. Hey I'm all for getting what you can. If someone offered me $100 more than the "book" value for a gun....sure. But I'm not going to do the whole "I have it, you don't and cant get it right now else where due to fear buying....How much cash do you have and your car keys" stuff.

#2 Why in the heck is everyone acting like what ever is being pushed for is a done deal?!

Sorry there is really three

#3 Also why is everybody under the assumption, that any new Ban or law abiding citizen control act will be ANYTHING like the previous ones? They WON'T. It was proven, studied, admitted, undeniable FACT that the '94 Clinton AWB did NOTHING to reduce gun crime. Therefor, they will most likely go for all or nothing on a complete ban, and use the results from the previous one as motive that these "killing machines" must be completely removed from society to magically stop all "gun violence".. If they get it through they will most likely tell you to shuffle into line and drop them in a dumpster...with HEAVY fines and or prison sentences if you don't. It's happened everywhere else in the world....don't assume it won't here.
Old January 10, 2013, 09:28 PM   #29
Ben Towe

I'm keeping it. Went out and shot it today, that sealed the deal. That, and me and a buddy have decided to give 3 gun a try this spring and an AR is pretty much required.

Many thanks for all the replies!
Old January 10, 2013, 10:03 PM   #30
en-frame

I'm with you droptrd. The idea of selling one of my firearms... I can't come to terms with that
Old January 11, 2013, 12:15 AM   #31
uradaisyifudo

Seems as though everyone has kept a pretty cool head on this forum, not buying into the hysteria. I am not overly optimistic we will not see some legislation limiting our rights to lawfully own firearms. If you want to own and ar, and it reads like the op does and has made up his mind not to sell, I would not sell either. IMO we will likely see legislation limiting magazine capacity, so hang on to the high capacity mags too. I'd like to believe common sense would prevail, but I don't. As long as the ammo tax goes toward building more quality public shooting ranges I won't complain as much at check out. Shooting ranges and maybe history lessons...
Old January 11, 2013, 01:28 PM   #32
RC20

If you like it and want to be sure to have one (at least for the price you bought it for) keep it.

If you want the rifle and really don't care if you have an AR sell it, it won't get any better timing wise.

The ban will probably let you keep it, but might prohibit selling it (or with severe restrictions).
Old January 11, 2013, 04:03 PM   #33
bbqbob51

I voted "I don't know."

I have been wanting an AR15 for several years now and I finally had the money this past summer. I bought a nice Windham Weaponry SRC really couldn't be happier with it. I also have a S&W 15-22 and considered selling them at a profit. I thought for about 5 seconds and decided to keep them. You can do what you want.