The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 22, 2010, 01:35 PM   #1
hooligan1

151K Makeover (lipstick on a pig)

I've got this little project: 151K Mossberg .22 automatic.. This rifle has been in my families gun cabinet since I was in elementary school. My dad was supposed to fix the rifle,( it needed a new inner magazine tube) and I guess it eluded him as he was a busy man until a stroke rendered him wheelchair bound and almost speechless, and he has since passed 7 aug 2002. Everytime I walked by this cabinet and saw this rifle, I thought of my father and his committment to the shooting world, I decided to take it out, fix the magazine and give it a makeover. I'm no collector,as all my rifles must kill to pay their keep, so to speak, if I can't shoot it, I don't need it. Now I've went ahead and ordered the part it needed and installed it, I also took it upon my self to "pretty it up some" in the stock department,(Mossberg didn't spend a lot of time Fit And Finishing this rifle) mainly at the buttplate area. It took me a while but I brought her back, to a rifle my father would of been proud to carry. It's walnut stock had been covered with something from the factory, It took a while to remove, and underneath it all was a beautiful riflestock! Here's some pics, I hope you can tell what a chore it was!! ( I enjoyed every minute of it really!!

Last edited by hooligan1; February 4, 2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old August 22, 2010, 01:42 PM   #2
hooligan1

Here's the lipstick fellas!!

Last edited by hooligan1; February 4, 2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old August 22, 2010, 01:55 PM   #3
EdInk

The picture of it drying in the sun light is gleaming. Very nice.
Old August 22, 2010, 06:34 PM   #4
rickyrick

that's Cool.

I have that exact same rifle(lipstickless version)....don't know its origins or even how it wound up in my possesion. but it is crazy accurate..

think it needs one them there magazine tube thingys. I never actually thought about replacing it just been kinda dealing with it.

nice job.
Old August 22, 2010, 07:57 PM   #5
hooligan1

Numrich Gun Parts!!! they got it dude!!!
Old August 23, 2010, 09:40 PM   #6
elkman06

Another outfit that may have it. I have found them verrrry helpful and even moreso knowledgeable.
http://jackfirstgun.com/ Rapid City, SD. They had a stock and various oddball parts that I didn't think I would find.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old August 24, 2010, 08:36 AM   #7
Bigfatts

The 151 wasn't one of my favorite models, I like the 46 series myself. But as long as you're shooting a Mossberg rimfire, you're on the right track. If you need parts for them, your best friends will be the Havlins. Www.havlinsales.com
Old August 25, 2010, 07:07 AM   #8
hooligan1

I don't need anymore parts!! I do have some more pics though!!

Last edited by hooligan1; February 4, 2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old May 20, 2011, 05:00 PM   #9
Low Twelve

Mossberg 151M (a)

Just got my first Mod. 151M (a) I would say that it is in near new condition. I don't have an owners manual for it and see that there are a variety of sight configurations that I'd like to have explained. Three options on front, two on center and peep for rear. Does anyone know where I can get a manual for this? Thanks
Old May 20, 2011, 06:39 PM   #10
hooligan1

Jeeze man, I would try Mossberg first, then maybe Numhrich, I really can't tell you exactly. Is there something that you are looking for, in particular?
Old May 20, 2011, 09:06 PM   #11
fastlead

Guys, here's a site that specializes in Mossberg parts-Havlin Sales and Service. They are in Missouri. May have the owner's manual and probably the other parts you might need, including sights.
I have 2 46B rifles. They are in excellent condition. I like those, too. Just recently sold a mint 151K here in Indiana. Mossbergs have always been underrated. The made so many different models and variations that they would be a ripe field for collecting and fairly reasonable, also.
John
Old May 20, 2011, 09:59 PM   #12
karlb

There is just something about the old Mossbergs that I love. I have a 46M and a 144.
Old May 21, 2011, 07:16 AM   #13
hooligan1

We took my 151 to the range and shot it, just after I posted the thread. Let me tell you, it shot like a dream, never any jamming, accurate, easy to disassemble, and now it looks nice! I won't be selling or trading this one off anytime soon.
Old May 21, 2011, 10:46 AM   #14
rickyrick

Hey I remeber this Thread, LOL.
Good Job!!!