The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 21, 2002, 11:08 PM   #1
Captain Bligh

Sears M 200

Today I bought a Sears M 200 in 20 gauge for my 14 year old to hunt with. It seems like a real solid gun in good condition. I wasn't able to figure out how to remove the bolt mechanism. Doesn't seem to come out like my 870. Does anybody have any tips?

RJ
Old December 22, 2002, 05:37 AM   #2
LF&Co. MG

For a Sears Model 200 I have two guns listed in the Blue book. One is a Mossberg G4. The other is the Winchester model 1200. I've never had either weapon but perhaps someone who does will be better able to help you. As a generic takedown, I would remove the mag end cap, then remove the barrel. The bolt may come out the front of the receiver at this point or you may have to remove the trigger mech. As I said, I've never had either model gun, but I've never found Mossberg or Winchesters designs too complexed (simple works). Hope this helps.
Old December 22, 2002, 07:53 AM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Where's the safety? If it's on top of the receiver, it's a Mossberg, front of trigger guard, Winchester.

Either manufacturer will send you a user's manual or Harley may be able to email you disassembly instructions.

I'm going to move this to Harley's forum.
Old December 22, 2002, 08:34 AM   #4
Captain Bligh

The safety is no the front of the trigger guard which made me think "Winchester." The bolt looks "Winchester." I took the barrel off but couldn't get the forearm/bolt assemble to slide out. Maybe I need to drop the trigger group first?

Randy
Old December 25, 2002, 08:37 PM   #5
XTARHEEL

Your gun is basically a Winchester 1200 (1300). The only difference I can see with mine is where the rear of the receiver meets the stock. The winchester comes to a shallow "V" shape whereas the Sears is straight up and down. I worked in the Sears sporting goods department while in college in the early 70's and sold a bunch of these guns. They came in various grades some with plain wood and barrels others with vent ribs and impressed checkering. Some even had a PolyChoke type adjustible choke. If you drift out the two pins that hold the trigger housing group and remove it, the bolt whould come right out the front of the action.