The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 24, 2010, 04:43 PM   #1
absolutpowerwheels

Gastinne Renette

I need help researching a Gastinne Renette triple barrel gun. Can someone help me or give me an idea of who to talk to track down some more information about it? I can give a better description of the gun later and pics if needed.
Thank you.
Old July 24, 2010, 05:52 PM   #2
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Is this similar to what you're looking for? I didn't see any "triple barrels" for them, though.

http://rock-island-auction.ammoland.com/3000.html

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old July 24, 2010, 07:36 PM   #3
Bud Helms

We have a forum for research. Let's go there for some help.
Old July 24, 2010, 07:50 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Gastinne Renette was in business in France from 1793 til 2003 and dealt in about every sort of gun imaginable. They also had shooting galleries for the ordinary sort of target practice right on up to "dueling" with wax bullets.

So provide that detailed description and those close clear pictures of the gun and its markings if you want some help.
Old July 24, 2010, 08:49 PM   #5
absolutpowerwheels

I don't have any pictures this second but i will post them soon. Where is the forum for research? The gun is roughly 57 inches long. The barrels are 40 inches in length. Two barrels are side by side with the third in the center of the gun directly below the top two barrels. All three barrels are fired by a single cap. It is a muzzle loader style with the packing rod attached to the gun. It is marked down the center of the barrels with Gastinne Renette for the Paris Emperor (although that is the translation i believe from french). It also has the marking "Exhibition 1855". It has a mount for a tripod with a spring to take the shock of the recoil.
Thanks
Old July 24, 2010, 08:58 PM   #6
Jim Watson

I don't have any pictures this second but i will post them soon. Where is the forum for research? The gun is roughly 57 inches long. The barrels are 40 inches in length. Two barrels are side by side with the third in the center of the gun directly below the top two barrels. All three barrels are fired by a single cap. It is a muzzle loader style with the packing rod attached to the gun. It is marked down the center of the barrels with Gastinne Renette for the Paris Emperor (although that is the translation i believe from french). It also has the marking "Exhibition 1855". It has a mount for a tripod with a spring to take the shock of the recoil.

That IS unusual. The British and Americans had punt guns, huge single shotguns mounted in the bow of a small boat and meant to wipe out a whole flock of ducks at once. Maybe the French had rather fire off three barrels at once into the flock instead of one big one. But I don't know for sure. It will make a fascinating pictoral, though.