The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 1, 2014, 10:45 AM   #1
sadams

Rifle powder for shotgun loads

I know, as fast burning powders, that some pistol and shotgun powders can be used interchangeably, and that rifle powder burns much slower. I know that it would be a terribly bad idea to load rifle cartridges with fast powders, but could you get away with loading shotgun shells with rifle powder? Obviously not optimum, but for short range, home defense type use where accuracy, trajectory, etc are not a concern, would it be safe? I have alot more IMR 4895 and 4064 than I will ever use for rifle loading. Just wondered. Thanks
Old October 1, 2014, 11:01 AM   #2
griz

No. Rifle powders in that range burn at too high a pressure to be usable in a shotgun. My guess would be that you couldn't even make a load that would reliably get the shot out of the barrel without exceeding safe pressures.
Old October 1, 2014, 12:58 PM   #3
Jimro

IMR 4895 and 4064 are not suitable for any shot shell loads.

I'm sure you can find someone willing to trade pound for pound with a suitable pistol/shotgun powder in your local area.

Jimro