The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 21, 2008, 12:48 PM   #1
jdowney

What to do with powder?

I inherited some blackpowder that I don't want, already have plenty of cartridge arms to shoot. So I understand that I can't legally resell powder, but can I give it away?
Old November 21, 2008, 12:52 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

How much is some?
TF
Old November 21, 2008, 01:04 PM   #3
jdowney

five pounds plus a partial can, probably dates from the 70's or 80's mostly.
Old November 21, 2008, 01:56 PM   #4
Pahoo

I'm sure there are a lot of "BuckSkinners" in your area that would just love to have this powder. True B/P is getting harder to get and some folks have to work hard at locating some. You can give it away and don't know why you couldn't sell it. However, do not try and ship as the effort would not be worth it. Sounds like you are not familiar with any M/L groups in your area. Just ask around and you will find some. If all else fails, just dump it out back by sprinkling it around.

Be Safe !!!
Old November 21, 2008, 05:15 PM   #5
mykeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo
...don't know why you couldn't sell it
You must have a federal tax license to sell black powder. It's a BATFE regulation, and thus a federal offense if you do so. No loophole on amount either. In a recent thread on The Muzzleloader Forum a member published a written discourse he had had with BATFE in which he asked about selling a pound to a friend at a match who had forgotten his. Bottom line was that BATFE considered that 'being in the business' of selling black powder and thus a federal tax license was required. It did not matter whether the seller was making a profit or not, just the act of selling it without the license was a violation.

Many people have attempted to interpret the 'being in the business' statement as a loophole that allows straw sales of small amounts in a casual manner. However, the agent pointed out that BATFE considers any sale as 'being in the business' regardless of the circumstances. And they got the legal resources to make it stick.

Bottom line: no, you cannot sell, trade or barter black powder without a federal tax license ($300/year). You may give it away, or loan it in expectation of reimbursement in kind only.

Clubs or groups of individuals may make a group purchase, with each member paying for his share, and one member being the collection and distribution point, but the arrangement must be in place before the member makes the bulk purchase.
Old November 21, 2008, 06:59 PM   #6
Hoss Fly

I just wish you was closer to me
Old November 21, 2008, 07:12 PM   #7
Pahoo

Quote:
It did not matter whether the seller was making a profit or not, just the act of selling it without the license was a violation.
mykea
Good to know and thanks for the heads-up !!!

Be Safe !!!
Old November 21, 2008, 07:24 PM   #8
hillbille

who was the guy out west who was wanting donations of muzzleloading rifles for kids? he posted quite a bit back this summer and fall, I'm sure he would love to have it and maybe even give you a donation slip for taxes, if that would be legal. It was roaring bull he is still a member but he is from texas, you might still get with him he may pick it up? I know the kids would appreciate it.
Old November 21, 2008, 09:02 PM   #9
RoaringBull

Hey it is me. Yes I would love to have it but can't make a trip to New Mexico now to get it. Where in New Mexico are you? I do have relatives in Albequerque.
Old November 21, 2008, 09:11 PM   #10
jdowney

I'm a couple hours east of Albuquerque, but I go there once a month, sometimes a bit less, sometimes my wife goes when I'm away at work. Anyway, you're welcome to it, I can either drop it off with your relatives or perhaps just hold it til the next time you visit them. I pass through Las Cruces very often too if that helps at all.
Old November 21, 2008, 10:05 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

If you ever go a bit north of Phoenix, there's the Ben Avery range which is used by the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association. You can always drop it off there and ask for a tax receipt.

However, I think the best thing you can do is to hook up with a black powder shooter who will introduce you to the hobby. You might not want to get rid of it so fast afterwards.
Old November 23, 2008, 10:59 AM   #12
60's Refugee

Black powder isn't cheap anymore. Also, it can go bad with age or improper storage. I'd bet that someplace in your area is a Civil War or other living history show event. Take it there, see the sights, then give it to a unit and say "Thanks for the show"! Everyone wins!

Harry
Old November 24, 2008, 06:23 PM   #13
hillbille

black powder does not go bad with age, it may draw moisture but once dried out again it will be good to go. Pyrodex and all the imitations due have a shelf life though.
Old December 6, 2008, 09:20 AM   #14
laocmo

My Dad used all his old powder to fertilize his tomatoes. Wonderful stuff, made them grow to humongous size.
Old December 6, 2008, 10:45 AM   #15
4V50 Gary
Staff

It's the nitrates that made the tomatoes grow. Go to a black powder club and give it away. Attend a Friends of the NRA meeting and offer it as prize.