The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 9, 2001, 04:36 PM   #1
B9mmHP

I have a double action that must have a 30/50lb trigger pull on the first shot, once it goes to the single action it is fine and shoots great. Is there anything I or a gunsmith can do to ease the pull down to at least 15/20lbs?
Old January 9, 2001, 09:02 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Any gun is amenable to trigger work. But remember that those pistols have small light hammers, and that firing a round takes a certain energy. Reducing the hammer springs may result in misfires. Before starting any work on the springs, I suggest you buy spares so if you ruin one you will have another.

The FEG is pretty simple, and a lot like the Walther PP (though parts are not interchangeable). The Makarov is a bit more complex but not beyond the ability of a knowledgeable person.

If you want to try with the FEG, which uses a coil hammer spring, try rolling the spring on a belt sander to thin it a little rather than cutting off coils. You might also use a Dremel tool drum to smooth up the face of the trigger; many of those guns have trigger grooves so sharp as to actually be painful in DA use.

The Makarov uses a flat mainspring (hammer spring), and you might try trimming a bit on the sides (not the flats) of the hammer spring part.

If possible, do a little work at a time, then test fire. When you are happy with the result, fire at least 200 rounds with your favorite ammo or a mixture of the ammo you use. If you get misfires, install that spare spring and either try again or forget the idea.

P.S. I doubt the pull is really 30-50 pounds. It is more likely the 15-20 you say you want.

Jim

Old January 10, 2001, 01:22 PM   #3
B9mmHP

Thanks Jim. I will try what you suggested. I enjoy tinkering around when I have some idea where to start.
30/50lb I know, but it sure feels like it when trying to get that first shot off.