The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Closed Thread

Old December 6, 1998, 10:41 PM   #1
Rich Lucibella
Staff

We'd like to thank Mac Scott and Doug McDougall of Scott, McDougall and Associates for their help in making the Gunsmithing Forum such a success. Mac's been posting from day one and has done a great job for us. We are in his debt.

Fortunately, for Mac, business out in California is booming and his online time has been greatly reduced. As a result, he's requested that we replace him as Moderator...our loss. We look forward to seeing Mac's posts as often as possible and wish him and Doug the very best. Don't forget to stop by and visit their site at http://www.colt380.com/ .

Fortunately for us, George Stringer has agreed to head up The Smithy and we'd like to welcome him as our newest Moderator.

George's gunsmithing career began some 23 years ago during his 12 year hitch with the Marines. Since then, he has practiced his trade in North Carolina, Indiana and, most recently, Kentucky. He's been a frequent visitor to The Firing Line of late and we are proud to have him on our team.

A bit more about George's work may be found at http://www.stringerguns.qpg.com/ .

Rich

Old December 6, 1998, 10:57 PM   #2
Rob Pincus

Welcome George.

Anxious to hear from you. Perhaps we could have some insight from you on reasonable turn around time from Gunsmiths (not to put you on the spot or anything..but it makes for more interesting conversation than "how do I put my doohicky back into the thingamabob slot??")

I'm right near the Kentucky border in Middle Tennesee are you anywhere near Bowling Green?

------------------
-Essayons
Old December 6, 1998, 10:57 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Welcome aboard TheFiringLine GunDoc!

4v50 Gary
Old December 6, 1998, 11:27 PM   #4
ShadedDude

Glad your here!

------------------

Mouse Assassins inc.
Old December 7, 1998, 12:54 AM   #5
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Thanks, everyone. I think this will be very enjoyable. I've liked this site since it came on line. Rich and the rest of the guys have done a great job here and I'm happy to be able to be a part of it.

Rob, the turnaround time in anyone's shop can depend on several things. In my shop it stays at 3-4 weeks except for Dec-Feb when it increases to about 6. But, for me, what it hinges on is the amount of work in the shop at the time and parts/special tools delivery. For instance if you send me a .22 rimfire to be rechambered for a .478 ShoulderWhacker chances are it will take me 6 to 8 weeks just to get the reamers. Basically though it's just work volume. I always tell prospective clients what the time interval is when first discussing the job and like everyone else, I try real hard to get it back to them within that time frame. If something happens and it doesn't appear that I'll be able to, I let them know. George

And the secret is to bend tab A before attempting to insert into slot B.

------------------

Old December 7, 1998, 12:58 AM   #6
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Sorry Rob, I forgot. I'm in Earlington KY. About 108 miles due north of Nashville and around 70 miles northwest of Bowling Green. George
Old December 7, 1998, 02:35 AM   #7
Rob Pincus

Damn! I broke Tab A a long time ago by hammering on it with an old Llama .45....

anyway, the main problem I have with "mail away" gunsmiths is that they will (to expound on your example) accept that .22 into their shop before they have the reamers, why not just take a deposit and let the customer enjoy his last days with the .22? Sounds like you let people know where they stand up front, which the best anyone can ask for.

If the weather keeps up I may jump on the Duck and head up to say "hello." If you get a chance email me some directions to your shop.

again, welcome.

------------------
-Essayons
Old December 7, 1998, 09:35 PM   #8
Bushwhacker

Okay OKay Rob,
I guess you're trying to tell me I should have saved up my $$$ and brought the Para-Ord P-12 instead of the *&^%$ LLama I got and now got to have George do a tune-up on.

Old December 7, 1998, 09:38 PM   #9
Rob Pincus

Actaully, Flyer, that was the closest I've come to giving a Llama .45 a compliment, ie- at least you can use it as a hammer.

------------------
-Essayons
Old March 3, 2005, 09:52 AM   #10
Harry Bonar

Congrats - George Stringer

Dear George Stringer:
Your posts reflect a great amount of experience and wisdom. Congratulations sir!
Old March 3, 2005, 10:19 AM   #11
Dave Sample

Nice to have a gunguy aboard! Hope you enjoy your new Job!
Old March 3, 2005, 12:28 PM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

Uh...

Harry? Dave?

That happened almost SIX years ago...

Digging deeply into the archives, I see.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 3, 2005, 08:22 PM   #13
Dave Sample

Duh..........................so sorry...................what can I say? I couldn't even spell computer 6 years ago and now I is one.......................
Old April 19, 2014, 05:17 AM   #14
billhook

Bumped into this, FWIW:

http://yellowfootprints.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=11787
Closed Thread