The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 7, 2009, 06:54 AM   #1
CajunBass

My Wife Returns to the Hunt.

Most of the old timers here remember, but for the benefit of the new folks, two years ago, about this time of year, my wife, Misty, suffered a near fatal ruptured brain aneurysm, while on her first deer hunt. Through the grace of God, and with the help of a first class rescue squad, paramedic flight crew, and the doctors and nurses at Inova hospital in Farifax, she survived and continues to improve to this day.

A few weeks ago, she received an invitation to attend a deer hunt through Sheltering Arms Hospital in Richmond (where she did her rehab). The hunt would be a traditional Southern deer hunt, with hounds and buckshot. I asked her if she wanted to go, and she responded "YES!"

She immediately claimed my new Mossberg 20 ga as "her" gun. We checked it out with buckshot, got her a "hunting coat" and waited.

The hunt was held a couple of days after Thanksgiving. Since we live in Fredericksburg, and the hunt was being held down in Providence Forge (New Kent County), we got up early, and drove down. When we arrived at the club house we found a warm greeting and the wonderful smells of breckfast being cooked. The typical jokes ran back and forth.

We checked in and drew our stand. Since she's disabled, and still new to hunting I elected to stay with her on her stand. The club, I'm sorry I never did find out which one, had great facilities and we were able to drive right up to the stand so she didn't have far to walk (she uses a walker). We got her situated and I parked the truck and walked back. We got our guns loaded and waited.

It wasn't long before I heard the tailgates drop, and the dogs hit. For the rest of the morning there were dogs running all around us, and shots were ringing out, but we never saw a deer. Misty bless her, kept asking me what was going on, commented on this and that. I'd "shhhhhhhsh" her, and in a few minutes she'd ask me something else. Praise God, she is still with me to ask questions. I just grinned and answered her and told her "be quiet" again. It was kinda like hunting with a kid.

I thought sure when lunch time came she'd want to go home. She was cold and her back was hurting, so I figured she'd want to pack it in. Not at all. We went back to the club house, had a great lunch the fellows from the club had prepared. At least six deer had been killed, including a pair of eight pointers, and one big six pointer.

I asked her if she wanted to go home, and she looked at me like I was from Mars. "Of course not" she replied. So we went back for the afternoon drive. Again we didn't see anything, but heard a couple of good chases. As evening came on she finally said she was getting really cold, so we packed up and went back to the club house and checked out and drove home.

Nope. No big buck killed. Just a good time and an opportunity to praise God for His mercy and His grace.

Misty on stand that morning. She was getting pretty cold by this point.

And a couple of deer killed that morning on the first drive.

John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old December 7, 2009, 07:24 AM   #2
DRice.72

This was the first post I read this morning. What a great story to start the week with! Thank you for sharing that Cajunbass. Its nice to know that there are people in this world who care enough to do something like that. It sounds like you two had a good time.
Old December 7, 2009, 07:50 AM   #3
SilentHitz

Just proves what most of us hunters knew all along, it's not the kill that always makes the hunt fun! Glad you had a good time, and to hear the wife is doing better Bet she puts some meat in the freezer before the season is over...survivors are like that...yes they are!

God bless you both...but he already has.

http://k5fv.com/
Old December 7, 2009, 07:56 AM   #4
Remingtonvadeer

GOD BLESS YOU BOTH! Also Very happy to hear an see she made it threw.Give her my best wishes, I also am In the fredericksburg area, maybe you can give a new comer some hunting areas around and tips! would be Great!, But Anyways I am very happy she is ALL better!! AN may she keep on hunting! God bless you both!
Old December 7, 2009, 10:21 AM   #5
camper4lyfe

That's an absolutely awesome story.
Old December 7, 2009, 02:21 PM   #6
bswiv

As you know if you read any of my posts my wife is always along for the hunting and fishing, been that way for 30 years.

When I read your post, especially the part where you simply sat and took care of her, two things came to mind. The first was kind of self centered in that I got a little sick thinking how I would deal with not having Louann around and how I just don't know how in the world I could enjoy sitting in the woods knowing she wanted to go and yet was physically unable to do so.

The other was that we need good examples in this world far more than we get them and it seems to me you & your wife just set one. Thank you.......
Old December 7, 2009, 03:31 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Congrats to the leaps and bounds your bride has made in getting back from such a devastating blow.
And I admire your determination to see her thru it too!

Following a multi step phone call and then a returned call from a Ms.Bowers. I learned the hunt takes place at New Kent (county?) Forestry Center... Those who cooked the food, dressed the game and otherwise volunteer are current and retired employees of the forestry center.

Ms.Bowers has the link to this post as she was interested in any feedback for this undertaking!

Brent
Old December 7, 2009, 04:03 PM   #8
koolminx

I am very happy that your story is turning out so well! Congrats on her recovery!
Old December 7, 2009, 04:15 PM   #9
SSGF109

Women and guns are a scary combination!
Old December 8, 2009, 07:55 PM   #10
James R. Burke

Great to hear your story. My wife is my hunting partner, and she got me back into deer hunting. I had some major problems with my heart, and kind of lost my interest in it. She must have sensed it, and said she would like to learn, and go with me. I guess me teaching her how to deer hunt , and what to do, and look for etc. put the drive back in me. That was three years ago. She has taken two since then, and I have taken the three biggest in over forty years of hunting. Best hunting partner I have ever had, and your story makes me feel even better. It is not about killing. Harvesting what you are hunting is a bonus, the times you have doing it, and what you learn are far more important in my book.
Old December 8, 2009, 08:07 PM   #11
DiscoRacing

I wish that I would have seen just one buck this yr... which I did not
Old December 8, 2009, 08:14 PM   #12
fisherman66

That's wonderful news (even if there's no meat). Fresh air and holding a rifle is sum of the best rehab there is, at least fer the soul.