The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 14, 2002, 04:28 AM   #1
Vim Fuego

Getting rid of mould lines on synthetic stock

I've got a Savage Mk. II in a synthetic stock and it has a mould line down the middle of it. It doesn't bother me that much but I want to get rid of it if I can. How should I go about it? I was thinking sandpaper would be fine but it might leave the area of the stock that was sanded looking a lot different from the rest of the stock. So, has anyone done this before?

Last edited by Vim Fuego; October 14, 2002 at 09:34 AM.
Old October 14, 2002, 07:48 AM   #2
HSMITH

I used a razor blade and EXTREME care to take it down just a hair, then a file. I used a double cut fine bastard, pulled as if it is a drawknife and it was pretty easy. Don't use a single cut as it will jerk off to the side when it gets a "bite", and skip the razor blade as it is just too darn tricky.

The file is going to leave the least width flat spot of anything, but there will still be a flat spot. The best way I could think of would be some sort of soft media blasting, you could blast the entire thing to get the right texture match and not remove any material where you do not want to. I have no access to a blaster so I am just guessing.
Old October 14, 2002, 11:03 AM   #3
Nannuk

I just used sandpaper on my Savage stock. I used veeeery fine sandpaper on a foam block and worked very slowly. Then, when I was finished, I then worked the sanded area with my hand. I just rubbed vigorously and was able to make the sanding lines disappear. Try a small section yourself and I think you will see what I am talking about. The rubberized coating seems to me rather soft, hence why you can work the sanding lines out.

Nannuk
Old October 14, 2002, 11:17 AM   #4
Ledbetter

Try this:

Mask the area on either side with tape, leaving the mould line in a very thin uncovered strip. Working in an irregular pattern, sand the line away with 200 grit sandpaper on a dowel, being careful not to sand through the tape on either side. Remove tape and blend as required.

Regards