The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 9, 2014, 11:46 AM   #51
Carmady

The Sterling Arms 302 .22LR auto might be a sporty pocket plinker, but then again it might not.
Old October 10, 2014, 01:04 AM   #52
weblance

All you need to do is look at post #29 and you will see a picture of one of the very few, truly reliable, small 22 pistols. Its certainly not the smallest 22 autoloader ever made, but it does fit the pocket, and wont let you down.
Old October 10, 2014, 02:36 AM   #53
OkieCruffler

I'm going to catch some heat from this but I can handle it. I traded into a little Jimenez 22 that has just been great now for 1200 rds. So far it has fed everything from sub sonics to hyper velocity with the exception of Stingers. As long as I keep it clean it just keeps on keeping on. And I've been pleasantly surprised by the accuracy, under 2" at 21 feet. Would I recommend one to a friend? Maybe not. But I don't think they are near as bad as their reputation.
Old October 10, 2014, 08:47 AM   #54
tynman

Carmandy yes thats more like the one I had.
Old October 10, 2014, 05:04 PM   #55
Cheapshooter

Quote:
All you need to do is look at post #29 and you will see a picture of one of the very few, truly reliable, small 22 pistols. is look at post #29 and you will see a picture of one of the very few, truly reliable, small 22 pistols.

Or all he needs to do is find one! Or maybe look for a gun that is still in production, not one that hasn't been made in 15 years.
A quick look through several gun auction sites shows the only ones listed sold five years ago.
So if the OP has the time to search, and wait, he might luck into one..... Someday.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 10, 2014, 08:27 PM   #56
giaquir

If not already said.
"Go buy a used Ruger MKII and ask your
children to hand it down to their children
and so on etc....
Old October 11, 2014, 01:27 AM   #57
weblance

Quote:
Or all he needs to do is find one! Or maybe look for a gun that is still in production, not one that hasn't been made in 15 years.
A quick look through several gun auction sites shows the only ones listed sold five years ago.
Im not quite sure where you are looking, but in the last 2 weeks, there have been four 2214s on GunBroker, including a very rare nickle plated 2214. I bought a 2214 yesterday on GunBroker for $399, there currently is one available on GB, and there is a 2213 for sale on GunsAmerica. Very easy gun to find, if you just look.

My GunBroker 2214

Old October 11, 2014, 06:40 AM   #58
darkgael

Pocket

Pocket pistol.

Lots of suggestions here just don't meet that criteria.

I know that the OP stipulated a semi-auto....I was rowing that boat myself a few years ago. Despite claims about marvelous reliability for some of the true pocket pistols, I never found one that would shoot through a magazine without an FTF of some sort. (Never tried a 2214. Nice looking gun)
I ended up with a revolver, a S&W 317 Airlite snubbie....great gun.
Old October 11, 2014, 09:19 AM   #59
tynman

I will go to my LGS and check out what they have in new before I get any used 22lr. But again Im in NJ and I put in for my permits 6 weeks ago and they told me there was a 4 month wait... So I have time to look.

I do like the S&W 2213 silver and I also like that flip up barrel on the Beretta too. So I just have to see what will be easiest found.

But please keep showing me different ideas in semi-auto.. Cause it is very hard to find 22lr if you dont know the names of the manufacturer.
Old October 11, 2014, 11:58 AM   #60
weblance

Heres another one I have thats been very reliable, and a lot of fun. Its a Taurus POLY PLY-22. Its NOT the Taurus PT-22. Its a Tip-up like the Beretta. I have both, the Taurus, and the Beretta, and the Taurus has been very reliable, better than my Beretta, holds an extra round, has better sights, and when I bought mine, was almost $100 cheaper than the Beretta...

This next one is just on the edge of "pocketability" but is worth mention. Its the Bersa Thunder 22. Its construction is fairly unique, its one of the very few 22 pistols that has a steel slide, making it very durable. It has a nice Double Action trigger and also has been very reliable. You can find older versions listed as the FireStorm 22

This last one is the New Walther/Umarex PPK/S Replica. Its Zamac constructed, which is a Zinc alloy. Zinc has been used for many years for cheap "Saturday Night Special" type pistols, and has a bad reputation for low quality. IF engineered correctly, a pistol made from Zamac can last a very long time. There are quite a few current pistols that have Zamac construction, and they have good reliability, and longevity. The Sig Mosquito, Walther P22, GSG/Sig 1911-22 & Colt/Walther 1911-22 are all Zamac pistols, and reports are favorable as far as durability.

This new PPK/S Replica has an UNUSABLE Double Action trigger pull, but does have a very nice Single Action pull, and a very nice hammer spur, so since its just a plinker for me, I just cock the hammer for the first shot. It has been 100% reliable with almost 3,000 rounds, and I see no signs of wear. Some owners of the Black pistols have commented that the finish is fragile, but mine is nickle, and the finish seems durable enough.

There is a new version of this pistol, the Walther PPK/S COMPACT. It has a 7 round magazine, as opposed to the 10 shot magazine mine has. I havent seen this pistol yet, but it seems to have the same slide length, but a shorter grip. That would make it fit the pocket a little better.

Last edited by weblance; October 11, 2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old October 11, 2014, 02:03 PM   #61
weblance

Currently two 2214s on GunBroker...
Old October 11, 2014, 02:11 PM   #62
Carmady

Here's a Titan II, different from other Titan II .22s. I've never seen one.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542802
Old October 11, 2014, 02:46 PM   #63
Cheapshooter

[QUOTE]Currently two 2214s on GunBroker...[QUOTE]
???

Just did a search on Gunbroaker. This is what came up.
Quote:
Quote:
You Searched For
Keywords [remove]
Smith
and
Wesson
Categories [remove]
Pistols
All Items
Auctions
BuyNow!
There are 0 items that match your criteria.
Also by Google search for S&W 2213 all that comes up are links to various gun auctions from two or more years ago.
But I'll keep looking, because now I want one!!!
Old October 11, 2014, 02:58 PM   #64
tynman

weblance what is the differences from the two taurus? The PT-22 and the POLY ply-22?
Old October 11, 2014, 03:00 PM   #65
tynman

Carmady yes that is a nice pistol. I would like it in stainless.
Old October 11, 2014, 03:01 PM   #66
tynman

Cheapshooter slow down... Let me get one first.....LOL Other wise we will bidding up each other which will only be good for the seller not us the buyer....
Old October 11, 2014, 03:10 PM   #67
tynman

Im liking this taurus... And Im going to say the LGS will have it or be able to get it for me...

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...rumbseries=SF1
Old October 11, 2014, 03:34 PM   #68
Cheapshooter

The Poly, as the name implies, has a polymer frame. Great little guns, but I think the OP perfers a metal frame. The PT-22 has a steel frame.
Actually, looking at the Taurus website they don't call any of them a PT anymore.
Just Model 22 followed by letters denoting various options like Model 22BGR(bleed, gold accents, Ridgewood grips), or Model 22BR(bleed, Ridgewood grips), or Model 22PLY.
http://www.taurususa.com/gun-selecto...=SF1&toggle=tp
Old October 12, 2014, 01:10 AM   #69
weblance

Ok... I guess I will do it for you...

So there you go guys... 3 of them currently for sale...
Old October 12, 2014, 01:47 PM   #70
cohoskip

You want small? Look at the Beretta Tomcat. It's tiny and superbly made...

NRA Life Member
Old October 12, 2014, 08:41 PM   #71
Cheapshooter

Well, I did find this interesting little mouse gun at a gun show today. A hundred bucks, well, I couldn't talk him into eating the sales tax, so $106.25 OTD.
Iver Johnson TP22

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=18

I'll try to get a pic of the actual one I bought later.
Old October 13, 2014, 08:04 AM   #72
Microgunner

"You want small? Look at the Beretta Tomcat. It's tiny and superbly made..."

The Tomcat is. 32ACP. The OP is looking for. 22lr.
Old October 13, 2014, 09:32 AM   #73
Cheapshooter

Quote:
You want small? Look at the Beretta Tomcat. It's tiny and superbly made..
Got the wrong cat. The Bobcat is the rimfire version previously mentioned as the 21A
Old October 13, 2014, 01:45 PM   #74
weblance

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynman
Im in the market for a semi auto 22lr pocket pistol. I would like it to be a reliable pistol that isnt picky on the ammo you feed it.
That is something the Beretta Bobcat is not. Mine wont make through a mag with a failure. Its clean, oiled and has a polished feed ramp. 4 different magazines, same result.
Old October 13, 2014, 02:23 PM   #75
Cheapshooter

Quote:
That is something the Beretta Bobcat is not. Mine wont make through a mag with a failure. Its clean, oiled and has a polished feed ramp. 4 different magazines, same result.
Have you also tried numerous brands, and types of ammo? I know that isn't the easiest thing to do in the days of Armageddon, but a good number of otherwise excellent misfire pistols are very picky about what you feed them.