The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 30, 2008, 01:16 PM   #1
si vis pacem, para b

EMP advice

I have the opportunity to purchase a used emp for 899 it is in pristine condition with an extra mag I just want any advice I can get before I make this purchase. The price seems a bit negotiable so what would you consider a great price? I also know that there were a few lemons when they first came out so what serial numers should I stay away from? Any advice will help.
Old April 30, 2008, 02:50 PM   #2
Shadi Khalil

i dont know about the SS# but that sounds like a hell of a deal, is it NIB?
Old April 30, 2008, 02:51 PM   #3
Shadi Khalil

ok, not new but still sounds good..
Old April 30, 2008, 02:54 PM   #4
DaveInPA

That price is fantastic. Jump all over it.
Old April 30, 2008, 03:14 PM   #5
KyJim

I've seen prices up around the $1,200 range for new EMPs on the gun auction sites (also a couple at just over $1,000).
Old May 1, 2008, 04:21 AM   #6
BanditSRT8

That's a STEAL on one of the absolute finest subcompact 9mms made.

Worth every penny I spent of the 1050 retail price... and at this price, you'd be crazy not to get it.
XD9 SC 2 tone | Glock 19 "Cogan Custom" | HK45 | HK P7M8 | HK P30 | Kimber Eclipse Pro II | Springfield EMP | Glock 19 TALO Limited Edition | S&W 1911 Doug Koenig Edition Bi-Tone | EAA Witness Elite "MATCH" | XD40 Service V10 ported "Custom" | Ruger LCP | S&W M&P15 w/EOTech | GSG-5 L | FN FS2000 w/EOTech
Old May 1, 2008, 12:22 PM   #7
ranburr

You and I are in the same part of the country. That may be agood deal elsewhere, but not here. That is about $100 overpriced for a face to face in this area.
Old May 1, 2008, 12:36 PM   #8
jimbob86

What is wrong with it?

That's $150 less than I paid for mine......... is it STOLEN?

Mine took 400 rounds of FMJ to break it in before it would feed hollow points.... maybe the original owner did not want to buy the 8 or 10 boxes of ammo to to do that..............
Old May 1, 2008, 12:44 PM   #9
Tom2

With a name like that, why arent you getting a Luger instead?
Old May 1, 2008, 01:26 PM   #10
JBriggs

Don't know about serial #'s, but I have never had aproblem with the two I own and they are far apart as far as serial numbers go. If it has not been broken in yet, expect to be frustrated for the first two hundred to three hundred rounds. I was very frustrated with my first one until I had fired three hundred rounds through it. However, after the break in, they are sweet sweet pistols. I trust both of mine and carry one or the other quite often. I have owned many compact 9mms and eventually sold them. I plan on keeping both my EMPs as long as I live. I have yet to find another compact 9mm that shoots as well with such a short barrel. I have to give Sprinfield deserved acclaim for the match barrel. You will also find that it handles recoil very well, so much so that alignment for the second shot is quick. The only other 9mm compact I like, but not near as much as the EMP, is the Para Carry LDA.
Old May 1, 2008, 08:08 PM   #11
si vis pacem, para b

Banditsrt8
Quote:
Worth every penny I spent of the 1050 retail price... and at this price, you'd be crazy not to get it.
Thats funny my wife says I am crazy for spending that much money on another gun. Wife.... "don't you already have a gun?" me....um yeah I'll see you after work I love you.....

So I got it. This thing sure is sweet. It is so much nicer sitting on my coffee table than it has looked on any of the pictures posted by other members. I was able to get it for $875.00 I sure hope this little guy lives up to the hype. Hows that for stimulating the economy now I have to buy bullets for it bring it to the gun range buy oil for it. This purchase will definately stimulate the economy more than if I had bought a new television or computer made in china.... That would not stimulate our economy at all. Thanks for all of your replies.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Old May 1, 2008, 08:19 PM   #12
si vis pacem, para b

jimbob86
Quote:
That's $150 less than I paid for mine......... is it STOLEN?[
No I got it from a gun shop, apparently the guy who they got it from puchased it from them a few months ago. He buys and sell with them pretty often, I have dealt with them previously and they have never failed me. This gun does not have a single blemish on it he could have told me it was brand new and I would not have known the difference.
Old May 5, 2008, 02:39 AM   #13
si vis pacem, para b

I shot it woo hoo

I got it out to the range this weekend boy it shoots nice. I brought it home and told my wife how much I liked it, then she wanted to take it to the range. Next thing I know she tells me she likes it much more than her gun, a sub compact xd, she has tiny hands and has trouble gripping a double stack magazine. I don't really know what that means. Is she going to commondeer my new gun or does she want her very own. Either way I am going to end up back at my local shop talking to them about another gun. If you are sitting on the fence with this gun spend the money you won't regret it.
Old August 5, 2008, 08:43 PM   #14
WhittTX

Quote:
Mine took 400 rounds of FMJ to break it in before it would feed hollow points....
Well I am glad to hear that as I went to the range this weekend to try the nib EMP that I gave up a perfectly good first edition PPS for. A had no problems with any FMJ I tried including some old stuff that I had laying around for 20 years out of curiosity. After 100-125 rounds I tried some Speer Gold Dot and had nothing but failures to feed every one to fourth round. Full clip, partial clip, made no difference. Patience and another several hundred rounds will tell...........
Old August 5, 2008, 09:25 PM   #15
Unregistered

"I am breaking in my 1911" is doublespeak for "My gun is a jam-o-matic and I don't want to admit it".

I would not buy a suspiciously-priced micro 1911 without being able to test shoot it first. I think you may be buying someone else's lemon.