The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 26, 2015, 12:43 PM   #1
weblance

New Lee 38 Die Damage?

I just bought a Lee Classic Turret Press Kit, and got my first set of dies ~38 Special. I will state now, I have absolutely NO reloading experience, but Im a quick learner, and pay attention to details, so I have every confidence I will do fine.

When inspecting the dies, I noticed a dimple on the Bullet Seat and Feed Die. Is this normal, and intended, or is this NEW die damaged?

Old September 26, 2015, 12:47 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Damaged. Call Lee's customer service.
http://leeprecision.com/contact-us.html
Old September 26, 2015, 12:49 PM   #3
jdscholer

Looks to me like it's been dropped/dinged on that spot. Could probably be carefully repaired to preform satisfactorily, or returned and replaced by Lee. jd
Old September 26, 2015, 12:55 PM   #4
jaguarxk120

Why do you have to "fix/repair" a new item?

You don't buy a new car and then have to fix it before driving do you.
Old September 26, 2015, 01:42 PM   #5
reddog81

That doesn't look normal but probably won't effect the function. That part of the die just helps guide the bullet into die. I'd try it out first and smooth it out with sandpaper it there are any burrs.
IMO Trying to send it back is going to take more time than just working with it and using it as is...
Old September 26, 2015, 03:16 PM   #6
Ifishsum

I am sure that Lee would replace it for you, as it is not normal. But unless it dings the case mouth as it enters the die, it won't affect function so if you're in a hurry to get loading, a light sanding/filing (if necessary to avoid touching the case) should work fine. I agree you shouldn't have to fix a brand new die but stuff happens and sometimes it's easier and quicker to just deal with it rather than sending it back....
Old September 26, 2015, 04:18 PM   #7
g.willikers

Quote:
Why do you have to "fix/repair" a new item?
You don't buy a new car and then have to fix it before driving do you.
Only if it has Lucas electrics.
Old September 26, 2015, 04:43 PM   #8
jaguarxk120

As the Lucas rep. once told me-- "We build to the customers Spec's."

Like anything in this world today --you get what you pay for!!!
Old September 27, 2015, 07:22 AM   #9
stubbicatt

Nah. My 6 volt Lucas electrics with magdyno work well.

The die is damaged, but the burr can be filed or sanded out. That portion of the die as someone else said doesn't do any work, but the burr or ding could interfere with the cartridge going in.
Old September 28, 2015, 04:27 PM   #10
alexcue

I'd send them a note on their website with the pic attached. They'll get back to you within hours.

I had a bad Shellholder, and sent them a pic. I got it 3 days later in the mail. The response said the pic showed it all.
Old September 29, 2015, 12:08 AM   #11
Sport45

If the ding was there because I dropped the die I'd just file, sand, or stone it out and move on.

If it came from Lee (or anyone else) that way I'd think about sending it back and then file, sand, or stone it out and move on.
Old September 29, 2015, 04:15 AM   #12
noylj

Call Lee. They will almost certainly just send at least a new die body and you'll keep the old one.
From the picture, I doubt that it will even cause any problem. That part of the die should not contact the case at all.
It got dropped on something and dinged, but the only real important part of a seating die is the seating plug--which should fit the bullet well enough to align the bullet.
Old September 29, 2015, 07:22 AM   #13
jaguarxk120

If you can return that die set to the store and buy another brand of die set.
Old September 29, 2015, 11:40 AM   #14
mikld

"Ca-Ca occurs". Even the highest priced dies can be dropped and dinged on a corner like the pic. so the "why fix new stuff?" argument don't fly.

Being a lifelong machinist mechanic, I would remove that small ding with a fine round stone. Why wait a for a warranty replacement when I could have that die in 100% usable, new looking shape in 10 minutes? I've been reloading with Lee equipment for nearly 30 years (since 1969 if you count Lee Loaders) along with other manufacturer's dies. My Lee dies give me no more problems than my Redding or RCBS or Herters or Pacific dies...

Any time Lee is mentioned on a forum, the Lee Haters crawl out to condemn Lee equipment...
Old September 29, 2015, 11:09 PM   #15
briandg

I hate lee, but there generally isn't anything I can say about their dies.
they function properly. they are usually dimensionally correct. They are no better or worse than some other brands that I have had. RCBS and redding, however, are what I prefer.

Send them an email, call them, whatever, you will probably be sent a new die without hesitation. You will probably not be asked to return the old one.

But, as has been said, I'd rather just keep it and stone off the nub if there is any. Dies have to be tweaked frequently, and to me, this isn't an issue. Especially since the die itself has no bearing surfaces.