The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 17, 2012, 10:03 AM   #1
TPAW

Greased Mags Need Cleaning?

I would like to soak greasy mags in a bucket to get the grease off. What should I use?
Old November 17, 2012, 10:48 AM   #2
Sparks1957

How did the mags get greasy in the first place?

If they're new, I clean them by disassembling then, and wiping them down inside and out. I put the lightest oil coating possible on the springs, and re-assemble. That is enough.
Old November 17, 2012, 11:03 AM   #3
carguychris

If these are new mags, and they're packed in a slightly sticky, pasty, yellowish, and foul-smelling preservative, it's most likely cosmoline, the same stuff used to preserve vintage military rifles.

Cosmo can be removed using a variety of common solvents such as brake cleaner, mineral spirits, or acetone, but IMHO the easiest and cleanest way to remove it is to dip the parts in boiling water. Disassemble the mags and set any plastic parts aside. You'll want to do this outside and either boil the metal parts in a pot that you never use for cooking, OR put the parts in a metal or glass container and then fill it with boiling water. The cosmo will melt off and float to the top of the water; stir the parts gently to make sure you get it all. Thoroughly dry and oil the metal parts afterwards and reassemble.

All that being said...

I'm generally with Sparks1957. I usually don't do the full-blown cosmo removal treatment on new mags; I just disassemble them, wipe everything down really well, lightly oil, reassemble, and call it good.
Old November 17, 2012, 11:26 AM   #4
Amsdorf

It's always interesting to me to see how different manufacturers handle things. When I bought my Beretta 92A1 a few months ago I cleaned the pistol itself and lubed it up, but didn't think to touch the magazines.

I was having lots of problems with it during the first session.

Took a look at the magazines and ... coated with heavier than usual oil which was rather thick.

Cleaned the mags thoroughly and applied light lube (Ballistol).

Not a single problem since.
Old November 17, 2012, 12:39 PM   #5
Stressfire

Quote:
When I bought my Beretta 92A1 a few months ago I cleaned the pistol itself and lubed it up, but didn't think to touch the magazines.
Weird. Got mine in '10. Shot 2 mags without a hiccup straight from the box. Mags weren't greasy at all, both came with the pistol. The latter was pretty gummy though
Old November 17, 2012, 03:40 PM   #6
drail

I can't believe no one has suggested tossing them in your dishwasher.
Old November 18, 2012, 11:16 AM   #7
BlueTrain

Someone, probably Ruger, had a magazine advertisment showing a revolver in the dishwasher. The only problem with that is waiting until you have a full load.
Buy War Bonds.
Old November 19, 2012, 08:08 PM   #8
Edward429451

Quote:
get the grease off. What should I use?
Dawn dishwashing detergent.
Old November 19, 2012, 10:28 PM   #9
K1500

The ad was for Colt when the stainless 1911's came out. Great ad.
Old November 20, 2012, 11:10 PM   #10
medalguy

If you're working with milsurp mags, I would fully disassemble them one at a time and wipe everything down with mineral spirits, dry with a clean towel, and reassemble. I say one at a time because often the parts won't fully interchange between mags. This way you don't have any issues with this. Wipe the outside only with a very light coat of oil, something like CLP, and again wipe until nearly dry. I don't use any oil on the inside because it simply holds dirt.