The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 15, 2011, 06:30 PM   #1
dsa1115

Wisconsin Passes Concealed Carry-Awaiting Gov. Signature

Now it moves on the the Wisconsin House.

Last edited by Al Norris; June 22, 2011 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Title change to reflect reality
Old June 15, 2011, 06:58 PM   #2
Crosshair

Kewl. If it passes I hope they recognize ND or UT. Boss and I don't like having to unload and secure our stuff before we hit the state line.
Old June 15, 2011, 07:51 PM   #3
JGON

As long as you have "training", a concealed carry permit from another state will be valid. Hunter's safety is considered adequate training.

I'm excited for this to happen. It is expected to pass around here, and it's about damn time!

JGON
Old June 15, 2011, 08:04 PM   #4
dsa1115

Assuming this gets passed by the Wisconsin House, my home state of Illinois will have the distinction as the only state that continues to deny it's citizens of the right to defend themselves.
Old June 15, 2011, 08:27 PM   #5
Crosshair

Quote:
Assuming this gets passed by the Wisconsin House, my home state of Illinois will have the distinction as the only state that continues to deny it's citizens of the right to defend themselves.
As my friend from Illinois is fond of saying; *sarcastic voice* Don't you blame me for the idiots in cook county." */sarcastic voice*
Old June 15, 2011, 08:31 PM   #6
Patriot86

If Wisconsin passes CC, that brings Illinois one step closer to having more ammo in the various lawsuits working their way through the courts. By god, I might just see CC in all 50 states in my lifetime.
Old June 15, 2011, 09:01 PM   #7
Tom Servo
Staff

Good news! Does anyone have the actual text of the law?
Old June 15, 2011, 09:34 PM   #8
bitttorrrent

yep, that is awesome.

Illinois next. Can't possibly resist as the only state in the union that is not on board.
Old June 15, 2011, 11:07 PM   #9
Hazborgufen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitttorrrent
Can't possibly resist as the only state in the union that is not on board.
That seems to be an overly optimistic view of Chicago politics. And you must realize that if it wasn't for Chicago / Cook County, CCW would probably already exist in Illinois.

I don't know enough about Rahm Emmanuel's current gun policy, but I do know he isn't exactly on our side of the issue. I wouldn't go counting your chickens just yet.

That said, hooray for Wisconsin!
Old June 15, 2011, 11:48 PM   #10
Falcon642

Great news for Wisconsin, and for all of us. If all 50 states allow CC it will be much easier to get national reciprocity passed.
Old June 16, 2011, 05:16 AM   #11
Davey

Quote:
I don't know enough about Rahm Emmanuel's current gun policy, but I do know he isn't exactly on our side of the issue. I wouldn't go counting your chickens just yet.
He hasn't come out hard against us...yet. The fact that the new Chicago PD superintendent is from New Jersey is rather ominous.

Last edited by JohnKSa; June 19, 2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: ..
Old June 16, 2011, 02:15 PM   #12
SMITH910

I can't wait for this to go through, about damn time is right! Anyone know when it goes to the House?
Old June 16, 2011, 03:07 PM   #13
lilwillie

It goes to the House on Tuesday..

Eagerly anticipating the completion and then my application being sent.

Yesterday I stopped at a local gun store to browse for a proper .22 pistol to save a little money on just afternoon shooting we do often.....The business was packed full of guys looking at handguns. Most mumbling "about damn time" and many just pleased with things going the way they want them too.

I think the silent majority in Wisconsin are very pleased right now.
Old June 16, 2011, 03:24 PM   #14
Mr. James

Outstanding news. Unlike his predecessor, Gov. Walker will actually sign such a measure.

Congratulations, Wisconsin. It's been a long hard slog!

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old June 16, 2011, 11:01 PM   #15
HoraceHogsnort

Can Illinois be far behind?
Old June 19, 2011, 02:20 AM   #16
TenRing

Congratulations! Almost there.

Good news for Wisconsin residents and the rest of us who travel through that state.
Old June 19, 2011, 06:09 AM   #17
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Quote:
As long as you have "training", a concealed carry permit from another state will be valid. Hunter's safety is considered adequate training.
So if I take my Washington CCW and my Iowa Hunters Ed card I can carry in Wisconsin if this is signed into law? Would Appleseed also count then?

I suppose a direct link to the writing would be helpful, I can't seem to find it on Google.
Old June 19, 2011, 04:43 PM   #18
SMITH910

The gun store clerk told me today, after the assembly passes it (with possible changes) then the Governer would/could change it and once it gets passed back and forth with what the final say is on how it will be able to be gotten (ie, with just a hunters safety card, with a class certificate, etc.) then it will get signed. Could be a year before the first guy walks out with the CCW after it all FINALLY goes through. We'll see.
Old June 19, 2011, 10:03 PM   #19
C0untZer0

I don't see it having an effect on Illinois per se, but it may be used by ISRA and other Second Amendment rights groups to pressure the few remaining recalcitrant lawmakers.

I think it depends how it is spun.
Old June 20, 2011, 04:04 PM   #20
markj

Good luck, hope it passes.
Old June 21, 2011, 02:10 PM   #21
Daugherty16

I never could figure out why a state like Wisconsin - great hunting, not that large a population, good percentage of folks still living rural lives, best cheese anywhere (except Tillamook, OR), lots of open space and a kick-ass football team - didn't have widespread support for CCW long ago.

Or maybe it did among the citizens, but thank goodness the saintly elected legislators knew what was really good for the people?
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.
Old June 21, 2011, 02:34 PM   #22
Patriot86

Two reasons:

#1 Madison WI
#2 Milwaukee WI

Thank god unlike Chicago and Illinois, the people living in more rural areas of the state have the power to outweigh those dwelling in the major cities.
Old June 21, 2011, 03:10 PM   #23
TexasFats

That is great for Wisconsin. As for "National Recriprocity", be careful what you ask for. If that law passes Congress now, the next thing that we will see is Holder, Lautenberg, Schumer, and company trying to pass an implement "National Standards" for getting a Concealed Handgun License. Now, what would those requirements and fees look like? We would be much better off pushing for more agreements at the state-to-state level than for a Federal Law. Remember, when the Feds make one law, then they will eventually make all of the rules.

Sauron lives, and his orc minions are on the march.
Old June 21, 2011, 03:57 PM   #24
Scimmia

Quote:
Or maybe it did among the citizens, but thank goodness the saintly elected legislators knew what was really good for the people?
I've been told by someone on another forum that was involved in the CCW pushes in 01, 03, and 05 that the people they talked to just didn't really care about carrying concealed.

Quote from Monkeyleg:
"We who were working the gun shows for those six years heard most gun owners say they didn't care about CCW, as they didn't want to carry a gun. If they had wanted it, we would have had it in 2001, or maybe even in the 1990's. (The bill was first circulated for co-sponsors in 1991)."
Old June 21, 2011, 09:29 PM   #25
Scimmia

Since nobody has mentioned it yet, the Assembly passed the bill today with no modification. This means it just needs to be enrolled and it will be on the Governor's desk.