The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 26, 2010, 07:12 PM   #1
physikal

Lead bullets in kimber custom II?

So I just purchased a Kimber Custom II 1911. It is used and supposedly "broke-in". Is it a bad idea to shoot lead bullets through it? If so is there anything to take into consideration when cleaning it?

The lead bullets I was considering purchasing were at Cabelas and supposedly had another metal w/ in them. I think they were called silver something. 58 bucks for 500.

I'd just hate to ruin such a nice gun. Any advice would be appreciated. I started off by purchasing some Raineer copper plated bullets until I know about the straight lead bullets.
Old June 26, 2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Don P

And how much damage would a lead bullet do to a handgun? Lead is softer than FMJ and plated. Cheapest bullet to use when re loading. Use it shoot it clean it shoot it some more
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 26, 2010, 07:24 PM   #3
physikal

I was just curious because I've heard rumors about not shooting lead through glocks.

Just wanted to make sure it didnt gunk up the internals or anything that it may be finicky with. Thanks!
Old June 26, 2010, 07:29 PM   #4
Jim243

I kind of went ouch, when I read the title of your post. I am a fan of Kimbers.

Most 1911s are fussy as to what they eat well, so it is going to depend on the shape and design of the lead bullet. If it looks like a hard ball, full metal jacket type bullet, there should be no problem. You will need to clean the barrel for lead buildup more often, but since we are talking about 850 fps as a general rule for 45 ACP there should not be any excessive buildup. (you will note is said "should" but there can be).

The shape of the bullet will determine how well it feeds, not the content. I would first go with only purchasing 100 of those bullets and try them out first. If they work well then go for the 500 or 1000.

Just my view on it.
Jim

Not all Glocks have standard rifling, and those that don't will not stablize soft lead bullets, that is why it is not recommended to use lead bullets in a Glock.

Last edited by Jim243; June 26, 2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old June 26, 2010, 10:03 PM   #5
vranasaurus

Quote:
Not all Glocks have standard rifling, and those that don't will not stablize soft lead bullets, that is why it is not recommended to use lead bullets in a Glock.

It has nothing to do with stabilizing or not. The problem with lead bullets and Glocks (or some HK's and anything else with polyganol rifling) is that polyganol rifling is prone to leading. If you don't clean out the lead regularly is can build up and eventually cause problems.

I'm also pretty sure that all glocks come from the factory with polyganol rifling.
Old June 27, 2010, 09:11 AM   #6
Sevens

All Glock pistols do come from the factory with polygonally rifled barrels. Most (all?) H&K pistols also.

Most folks don't shoot cast lead bullets through Glock pistols because of all the hype and rumor associated with it. Some people do. I have myself, 200 grains bullets from a 10mm through a G29. (but I haven't done a lot of this)

Kimber uses a traditionally rifled barrel and will work fine with cast lead bullets if the pistol is able to feed them.

The bullets with "silver something in 'em" bought from Cabela's were probably Oregon Trail LaserCast bullets. These are supposedly cast with a harder alloy which will work better with a hotter load.

Cast lead bullets are a whole new adventure in handgun reloading.
Old June 27, 2010, 11:17 AM   #7
Edward429451

I never seen so much disinformation in one thread before! Listen to sevens and forget everything everyone else said.
Old June 27, 2010, 12:28 PM   #8
more forty fives

Don't worry about lead bullets.I shoot lead in my custom II all the time and it eats them all I have not run into any shape that would not feed.Even the little button nose SWC from Missouri bullet.It's all in the OAL. 4000 so far good cheap fun.
Old June 27, 2010, 02:00 PM   #9
Jim243

Edward, can you be a little more specific. If I mis-stated something, I would like to know.

Thanks
Jim
Old June 27, 2010, 08:27 PM   #10
Ozzieman

I have a Kimber Royal Custom and for every jacketed bullet I shoot, I shoot 100 lead. My Kimber has had thousands of rounds and no problems.
My suggestion is to try Penn bullets, free shipping and they are hard enough to shoot out of a 45 long Colt in a Ruger Blackhawk at over 1000 FPS with no leading.
They will also make bullets with several different diameters to fit your gun better.
I like his 200 gr round nose flat point best with the diameter of .451. My Kimber seems to have a tight barrel.
I use the same bullet for cowboy action shooting in Long colt but use the .455 Dia.
500 of these are only $38.
Also a medium load of 231 powders gave me the best overall accuracy.

http://www.pennbullets.com/45/45-caliber.html