The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 26, 2014, 09:29 PM   #1
Cheapshooter

McMillan stock, or not, age?

On another thread I described my hunting rifle. A Remington model 700 7MM Magnum. In the configuration I got it in I don't know BDL, or ADL. It has what I have been told recently a McMillan fiberglass stock. I got it over thirty years ago with this stock on it. It was a semi flat copper-brown color with metallic specks. A blind magazine, and the inside of the approximately 1/8" thick fiberglass shell is filled with a Styrofoam like substance. It is extremely light in weight. Just wondering what this stock actually is. As mentioned in the other thread, this set up is my most accurate rifle.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 26, 2014, 10:39 PM   #2
jmr40

Photos will help. The good news is that 30 years ago there were no cheap synthetic stocks. If it is not a McMillan it could possibly be a Brown Precision, possibly others. Chet Brown and Gale McMillan were the first synthetic makers and were in business by the mid to late 70's. Garrett was there at that time too. I'm not sure when MPI, Manners or Bansner started making stocks. All of them make quality stocks, McMillan is by far the biggest, with the most options.

If your rifle has a blind magazine it is an ADL.

My first synthetic stock, bought in 1982 or '83 was made by a company named Garrett Acculite, (no longer in business) for a Remington 700 ADL. 30-06.

The better synthetics use layers of either fiberglass or kevlar cloth laminated together like plywood through the action area and grip. The outer shell of the stock is also made of the cloth with a gel coating on the outside and a foam interior. The action area is them milled out just as you would a wood stock.

The laminated cloth gives extreme strength with very little weight. Kevlar is the lightest, and most expensive.

Most cheaper stocks are injection molded plastic. B&C and HS_Precision claim to be made from fiberglass, but they use chopped fiberglass like attic insulation mixed with plastic and just pour the mixture in a mold in their cheaper stocks. Not a very strong stock. They corrected that by adding a metal insert for strength, but add a lot of extra weight.
Old October 26, 2014, 11:29 PM   #3
Cheapshooter

Quote:
If your rifle has a blind magazine it is an ADL.
Wasn't sure if the blind magazine of the ADL was just the stock design, and maybe an after market stock without the inletting for the floor plate would accept a BDL action.
Does Remington have a website with serial numbers related to year of manufacture?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 27, 2014, 12:00 AM   #4
jmr40

This website is pretty accurate for rifles. The date code is on the barrel. Shotguns often do not have the barrel that it left the factory with, so the info isn't always right with shotguns. Would be rare for a rifle. Note that the same code is sometimes used more than once for years. But the 700 didn't exist prior to 1962, so if you see the same code for 1975 and 1946, you know it can't be 1946.

Also, they did not date stamp barrels 1999-2001.

http://remingtonsociety.com/rsa/questions/barrelcodes

ADL is Remingtons designation for blind magazines.
BDL is their designation for guns with a floorplate.
DBM is the designation for detachable box magazines.

No more, no less.

If the gun left the factory as ADL or BDL it could have been converted. I've seen people go in both directions with custom guns.

Over the years Remington has made dozens of configurations of both ADL and BDL. Not so many DBM's.

Many folks get hung up on many other details. MOST BDL's came with a certain set of features. Same with MOST ADL's, but not all. There were so many different variations of each that the method of unloading is the only real difference.

The SPS, CDL, LTR, Classic, Mountain Rifle, Sendero or any other gun ever made a floorplate is just a variation of the BDL. They even made a SS ADL version of the Mountain rifle for 2 or 3 years.
Old October 27, 2014, 12:56 AM   #5
old roper

Lee Six and Chet Brown made the first fiberglass stocks.
http://firearmshistory.blogspot.com/...te-stocks.html

At one time Lee Six made stocks for Remington back in the 80's and he helped Mel Forbes set up his stock making for his light rifles. I'm guessing stock may of been made by High TecK Specialties it's company that Mark Bansner purchased in the 90's and you could custom color them and Metallic was big back then. I send mine out to hot rod paint shop and good paint job cost more than paid for stock.
NRA Life Member