The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 2, 2016, 10:31 AM   #1
Boogershooter

Has anyone seen the recent video of the shooting in peru?

I just saw the video on tmz sports. Sorry Iman not able to attach the link here but it shows one armed citizen run off 3 armed robbers. It shows the citizen shoot a robber at just a couple feet and you can barely tell the bg was hit. After they start fleeing one of the bg's shoots the citizen in the stomach. You can immediately tell he's hit. Funny part of the story is the good guy is a mma coach. I would love to know the details of what the good guy was using and then what he was shot with. Anybody know?
Old June 2, 2016, 03:51 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=pxOjBvaFhzU
Old June 3, 2016, 06:40 PM   #3
Claude Clay

stomach... looks like he places his hand over his side.

hope the bullet went through and he just needed 2 patches.

Make a fire for a man and you warm him for the night
Light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life
Old June 3, 2016, 08:28 PM   #4
KyJim

Most remarkable is the waitress who calmly flips through her orders as her customers are getting robbed at gunpoint. She only reacts when the shooting starts. I don't know if that means she is completely clueless or it's just another robbery in a long list of robberies.
Old June 3, 2016, 08:34 PM   #5
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Most remarkable is the waitress who calmly flips through her orders as her customers are getting robbed at gunpoint.
Outside the gated resorts...
Old June 3, 2016, 08:45 PM   #6
Boogershooter

Thanks Aguila for posting that. The whole thing seemed to happen so fast several people didn't know what to do or just oblivious to what was happening. Glad no bystanders were hit, just the ones playing with guns. It seems to be a pretty decent display of marksmanship from what I can tell.
Old June 3, 2016, 09:59 PM   #7
A pause for the COZ

I noted that also about the waitress. She knew what was happening and it did not even phase her until the shooting started.

Inside job maybe????
Old June 3, 2016, 10:27 PM   #8
JohnKSa
Staff

Here's a little more information about the shooting. Apparently there were two defenders.

http://perureports.com/2016/05/30/ky...ner-shot-lima/
Fedotov and another customer drew their personal guns and opened fire. ... The shootout left one of the assailants dead and two patrons injured, including Fedotov. The Russian Muay Thai trainer suffered a bullet wound in the abdomen and is currently being treated.

The other two assailants escaped on motorcycles.

The owner of the restaurant told El Comercio that this is the sixth time his business has been held up by armed gangs.
Doesn't sound like a place where I'd want to hang out.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/5/30...ootout-in-peru

The defender in the video is expected to recover.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/6/2/...-down-in-first

One witness suggests that Fedotov began shooting because he expected to be killed when his CCW was discovered.
Old June 3, 2016, 10:42 PM   #9
kilimanjaro

If you expect to be killed, it's a good time to draw and fire.
Old June 4, 2016, 09:49 AM   #10
Double Naught Spy

Kudos to the other customer who relieved Fedotov of his pistol and took off after the assailants. He at least seemed to make sure they weren't coming back.
Old June 4, 2016, 07:54 PM   #11
dakota.potts

Interesting. I had not expected Peru to be a place where a person could carry a firearm.

Apparently in Peru, a license is required for each gun and requires a background check, psychological evaluation, and shooting test. After these are passed and you have your license, the license to own that firearm functions as a license to carry it also. I am also reading that they can only carry rounds lesser than 9mm parabellum and no hollow points.
Old June 4, 2016, 08:54 PM   #12
JohnKSa
Staff

In South America you can do virtually anything if you have enough money and/or know the right people.

My guess is that acquiring a permit takes a LOT of one or some of both.
Quote:
I am also reading that they can only carry rounds lesser than 9mm parabellum and no hollow points.
This kind of legal restriction is precisely why Glock makes .380ACP versions of the Glock 19 & 26 (25 & 28).
Old June 5, 2016, 12:54 AM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa
Quote:
I am also reading that they can only carry rounds lesser than 9mm parabellum and no hollow points.
This kind of legal restriction is precisely why Glock makes .380ACP versions of the Glock 19 & 26 (25 & 28).
And why Imbel in Brazil makes a .380 ACP version of the 1911 Commander.
Old June 11, 2016, 10:49 AM   #14
Slotback

I believe that down there 9mm is considered a military round and civilians are not allowed to possess it.
Old June 11, 2016, 11:37 AM   #15
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Apparently in Peru, a license is required for each gun and requires a background check, psychological evaluation, and shooting test. After these are passed and you have your license, the license to own that firearm functions as a license to carry it also. I am also reading that they can only carry rounds lesser than 9mm parabellum and no hollow points.
Pretty much the same rules for a licence here, except we also have a written test on the Weapons Act.

The plus side is that there are no calibre limitations on handguns, so 9mm, .40, .45 etc all OK.

What are people's thoughts on just walking down the central aisle?
What could have been done differently/better?

On the one side, taking cover and firing from there would increase the risk of hitting bystanders (none of whom were hurt it seems), but it increases the risk of getting shot, which he was.
Old June 11, 2016, 01:50 PM   #16
JohnKSa
Staff

Pretty rough situation. Taking cover (at least in the area where he was shot and fell down) would have amounted to ducking behind people.

If there's cover, it makes sense to use it. Without a layout of the restaurant and without knowing where he was seated when he drew and began firing, it's hard to say what he should have done.
Old June 11, 2016, 02:34 PM   #17
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Without a layout of the restaurant and without knowing where he was seated when he drew and began firing,
He seems to have been in the back area to the right and only appears to shoot once far closer to them in the main thoroughfare through the restaurant.. Perhaps taking up a position behind the low wall at the back and surprising them (which he did, anyway) when they got closer to that area as it had few customers...

Like you say: a tough call. 3 against one on top of that!! My 6-shot snub would have been an issue there!!