The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 13, 2009, 11:35 AM   #1
Super-Dave

Franchi vs Stoeger

If I was looking to buy a cheap benelli inertia rip off, Which am I better off getting the Franchi or the Stoeger?

George Orwell
Old April 13, 2009, 12:23 PM   #2
Waterengineer

You will get different opinions, but, IMHO, Franchi every time. If nothing else, it will lose money slower. Again, IMHO, Franchi has a following (to create a secondary market) and Stoeger does not.
Old April 15, 2009, 02:03 PM   #3
bejay

I would just get wich ever one you like the best the franchi may be a little nicer but dont think it has much of a following anymore when comparing the I 12 to the 2000 I doubt their will be much of a secondary market for either. a quick search of auction sites should show this also. if franchi would just bring back the 48al in 12 guage im sure they would regain popularity.
Old April 15, 2009, 02:39 PM   #4
RetiredLawman

The current Franchi is not made by Luigi Franchi. It is made by a Beretta owned company as of ten years ago. The newer Franchis are not of the same quality as those made by the Luigi Franchi Co. For an economy gun, I prefer the 2000 due to price.
Old April 15, 2009, 02:51 PM   #5
Waterengineer

Bejay:

Opinons are nice but back up is better. You should do the research and document with facts. And, in fact you are quite wrong.

Review the facts below. The Franchi resale market is well and alive compared to Stoeger 2000. Below are auctions that have closed with sales of Franchi I-12, Franchi AL 48 and Stoeger 2000.

In fact, with my quick 15 minute excercise I could only find one "2000" for sale on the used market.

There are many conclusions that could be made. One is with a limited number of Stoeger 2000's on the used market, they should go for a premium due to scarcity. That is of course, there is a market for a used Stoeger.

In summary, each of the Franchi guns goes for a premium, in the range of 25-percent to 60-percent when compared to the cost of the used Stoeger 2000.

My personal belief is that you are anti-Franchi and more of a Stoeger guy. That is OK and I have no problem with that but, dude, back it up with facts.

In full disclosure, I own none of the guns discussed in this post.

Franchi AL 48

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=126099774

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=126528796

http://www.gunsamerica.com/960268429...6_with_box.htm

Franchi I-12

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=123356180

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=125819132

Stoeger 2000

http://www.gunsamerica.com/946150724..._2000_12GA.htm
Old April 15, 2009, 04:41 PM   #6
jmr40

Or it could be that Stoeger owners do not sell their guns. Never had a Franchi. They are probably fine guns. I did have a Stoeger for about 2 years and it ran perfect for me. I only sold it after I ran across a deal on a Benelli M-1 that I could not pass on and I did not need 2 guns so similar. As far as resale value. I sold my Stoeger for $50 MORE than I paid for it new. Can't beat that.
Old April 15, 2009, 06:10 PM   #7
RetiredLawman

The Franchi 48 is the best gun I've ever had. I bought the 2000 as a backup. My 48 is around 45 years old and still going strong.
Old April 15, 2009, 07:21 PM   #8
Old Guard Dog

I like my Mossberg pumps for most things, but I would much rather carry my Franchi I-12 all day long small game hunting. It is lighter, slimmer, and just feels better for this type of hunting. The only thing I don't like about it is the safety. I like the tang safety on the Mossberg much better, especially with gloves on in cold weather. I bought it used, at a good price, and will probably keep it forever.
Old April 16, 2009, 06:05 AM   #9
bejay

waterengineer I suggested he buy wich ever one he likes the best not sure how that would make you think im anti-franchi and the 48 is a popular gun and the only franchi ive hunted with.

but it is pretty clear that the original poster is comparing the 2000 to the I- 12 wich neither of wich is highly sought after and your links show that.

personaly if I was buying one of the above I would probably buy the 2000 for 2 reasons one being lower price to begin with, and second being slighly lighter weight.
Old April 16, 2009, 03:03 PM   #10
FrozenTundra

I just bought the M2000 after doing alot of reading. Mainly bought it based on price, as the overall reputation for reliability seemed about the same. If anything there was some mention of the bolt-handle flying out more often on the I-12, but again, that's just what I picked up from the various forums and articles.

If I was going to buy one to look better, for the difference in jumping up to the Franchi, I'd probably have just ponied up a little more and gotten a used Benelli.

I followed all the various advice that can be found on the forums about breaking it in properly before ever shooting, and so far have shot two rounds of sporting clays without any issues.