The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 16, 2012, 11:00 PM   #1
coolbreezy

would anyone else do this?

i was thinking of selling my sw 629-1 3" incher w/ the original combat finger groove wood grips and my 29-3 8 3/8" with the original stocks (both in good condition) for a preferably 4" colt anaconda. i love my smiths but ive absolutely lusted after the anaconda for the longest time and i really want one bad. would be selling myself short getting rid of my n frames for one gun? my justification is that anaconda is quite rare and prices are going up, while the smiths seem plentiful and steady in the cost department. also how is the durability of the anaconda? does it compare with my redhawk? any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
S&W highway patrolman 28-2/ Springfield mil spec 1911 (semi custom)/ Sig P220 match elite .45 acp/Kimber micro 9 stainless/ Remington 870 tac14/ Taurus pt22/ S&W 629-1 3" .44 mag/ S&W 629 PC V-Comp/ Beretta M9/ Stevens/Savage 311A 12 ga double bbl/ Magnum research Desert Eagle XIX .44 mag/ S&W 460 xvr/ Glock g40 10mm longslide/ H&K usp compact .45 acp/ Ruger SuperBlackhawk Lipsey Edition/ S&W 686+ 3-5-7 talo edition
Old October 16, 2012, 11:26 PM   #2
jglsprings

Do what you want. It is your money.

I count on guys like you to supply cheap used guns to the market place.

Commas save lives...
Old October 17, 2012, 01:23 AM   #3
10-96

No, I don't think I would. Sure, you'll have your Colt, but what'll you do when the day comes when you look around and say, "Dang, I wisht I had one of those Smiths"?

I might put one towards the trade, but not both. You'll likely never again get a 29 for the price you got either of yours for. Yeah, personally, I would do a partial trade- somebody out there is sure to have finance options.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old October 17, 2012, 07:00 AM   #4
Hal

Hal's pat pending "Should I" list of questions:

1.) Do I like it.
No - then sell it at any reasonable amount.
Yes - then go to number 2.

2.) Do I need the money?
Yes - then sell it after going through everything that fails question 1.
No - then sell it later or not at all.

2b) Is it paid for and/or is it costing me money to keep it?

3.) If I sell something I like, how much will it cost to replace it?
3b) How long will I be without it while I save up to replace it?

4.) Can it be replaced or is it a one of a kind - family heirloom sort of thing.

5.) If I sell it, is it the right time to sell so I can get the maximum amount for it?
5b.) Is now the time to buy what I want with the funds, or, should I wait for a "low" point to buy?
(Eg - it's Fall & it's hunting season. hunting guns are in a "high point". Come early April w/tax time closing in,,,prices willl be way down)
Eg 2 - the new model year for cars just started. A real "deal" on a current model year vehicle is hard to come by. Closeouts on last years models offer a better value potential. Come late Winter, if any year old models are still on the lot,,,,,they will be a good buy since the dealer will really want them gone)
Old October 17, 2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Venom1956

I wouldn't anacondas aren't much if any bit better then a 29 also you have colt lockwork to think about. I'd rather have two model 29s running strong then one Anaconda waiting to be re timed.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old October 17, 2012, 01:39 PM   #6
DFrame

The Anaconda is FAR from fragile(Built like a tank is more like it). Don't know where that myth got started. If you Like the Anaconda go for it. If you're not really ready to part with your S&Ws DON'T. I love the Anaconda and also love the 3 inch 29. Your choice your money. Perhaps you should just save up your money until you can buy it outright.
Old October 17, 2012, 06:18 PM   #7
Venom1956

I never claimed they were fragile. I simply said re timed. I am currently waiting for two Colt's I have to be re timed. pretty sure 'early 2013' was my estimate. Granted Colt doesn't work on either model anymore. So perhaps their turn around would be faster.

I'm just offering my opinion.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old October 17, 2012, 06:35 PM   #8
orionengnr

I might sell the 8 3/8" S&W, but not both.

I am not sure that your assessment of current and future values of pre-Lock S&W N-frames is correct...especially P&R revolvers. They have been steadily increasing in value since I bought my first (which was only about 8 years ago).

I don't know all that much about the Anaconda, but my impression is that the one you really want is the Python. Those seem to be the ones that are in demand.

I've also read enough posts (from people whose opinions I trust) on Colt revolvers' tuning/timing, and how there are not too many people left who are truly knowledgeable and able to fix and tune them...and (just like WWII veterans) fewer ever year.

Your money, do as you will. But I would do some more homework if I were you. Good luck, and happy hunting.
Old October 17, 2012, 07:08 PM   #9
coolbreezy

thank you all for the replies. orionengnr, you are correct when you say that i do not have an firm grasp when it comes to gun value. i am in the dark when it comes to that aspect. i will say that i have penchant for finding great deals on used firearms. I've decided that i am just going to keep my smiths and if have the money and a good deal on a anaconda shows up then it was meant to be. until then i will wait..
S&W highway patrolman 28-2/ Springfield mil spec 1911 (semi custom)/ Sig P220 match elite .45 acp/Kimber micro 9 stainless/ Remington 870 tac14/ Taurus pt22/ S&W 629-1 3" .44 mag/ S&W 629 PC V-Comp/ Beretta M9/ Stevens/Savage 311A 12 ga double bbl/ Magnum research Desert Eagle XIX .44 mag/ S&W 460 xvr/ Glock g40 10mm longslide/ H&K usp compact .45 acp/ Ruger SuperBlackhawk Lipsey Edition/ S&W 686+ 3-5-7 talo edition
Old October 17, 2012, 07:40 PM   #10
DFrame

The timing, or cylinder lockup, on post 69 Colts (like the Anaconda) is much like the rest of the guns out there. Colt purists were horrified when Colt changed manufacturing processes accused Colt of "Smith & Wessonizing" their guns. The Anaconda doesn't go out of time any more often than a smith or ruger, though if it ever does, it's a good idea to have the factory do the work. The Python has and always did have the pre 69 action that is a bit more tricky.
Old October 18, 2012, 09:23 AM   #11
pete2

I like the 29 better than the Colt but get what you want. Life's too short.
Old October 19, 2012, 12:24 AM   #12
RsqVet

I would not if I were you.

For one thing I personally think the Anaconda and Cobra among other colt prices will stabilize if not do gown a bit --- there seems to be a feeding frenzy on the python and other guns colt made are surfing that wave. They made many of them and though less common than say a 629 they are far from rare, in fact I have seen 2-3 in pawn / gun shops in the past year. Esp if you want a 6 inch barrel that should not be that hard to find.

Second if you can stick cash aside and keep your current guns you can have the luxury of time to find an Anaconda at less then "crazy prices". They are out there, but you will have to find one and that takes time. If you sell both of your guns you will want to buy one ASAP and that drops your chance of a deal.

Third as with any used gun you want the time to find the right one. I too have always liked the Anaconda and have looked at a few, as with any gun there are ones that seem "tight and right" and those that do not, either from prior abuse or simply looking like they were fit at 5 pm the friday before new years weekend. You don't want that gun as it's not going to be a shooter and as with anything in the collector world if you are looking at it and can see the flaw so can anyone one else you might sell it to.
Old October 19, 2012, 01:43 AM   #13
Redhawk5.5+P+

Post#2

Quote:
Do what you want. It is your money.
First, do you have a deal set up, or are you just stroking me?

Sorry if "I" (not "i" /3"= 3 incher)

Point? You (not "u") could give me an anaconda (not an Anacolda) Same thing right?

I'd sell it and buy two S&W M29s.

TBS, the Ruger Redhawk is the 44mag of choice in my stable.

FYI, don't drop (on hard surfaces) your Colt.
Old October 19, 2012, 01:51 AM   #14
coolbreezy

no deal in the making, i thought about it and i am keeping my smiths. that 3" wheelie is an absolute awesome gun and i know i would be kicking the crap outta myself if i sold or traded this bad boy. fwiw, the 29 is starting to grow on me, i havent shot it that much (50 rounds), but its an impressive gun for the money and a hell of a range beater. i also own a 1983 year 7.5" redhawk the way it shoots and its action are incredible (i cant blow it up, i put 120 hammerhead 330 grainer +p's through it).
Old October 19, 2012, 03:59 PM   #15
DFrame

I understand about that 3 inch wheel gun. I have a few myself. Never found a barrel length I liked better. The only thing I would trade MY Anaconda for, is an Anaconda with a shorter barrel. One of the finest large bore revolvers I've ever used.

Last edited by DFrame; October 19, 2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old October 21, 2012, 11:09 PM   #16
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
i also own a 1983 year 7.5" redhawk the way it shoots and its action are incredible (i cant blow it up, i put 120 hammerhead 330 grainer +p's through it).
How was recoil?

I shot the simalar Buffalo bore 340g HC +P+s out of my Blued Red Hawk w/5.5" barrel. Not an every day range round.