The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 10, 2011, 08:32 PM   #1
Mad Martigan

New to reloading

Welp, I just got my press up and running. I shot more than 8,000 rounds just in 9mm last year and finally had to pull the trigger on a handloading setup. I bought a Hornady LnL progressive. I'm pretty happy with it so far, aside from having to look all over the damn country to find someone with a 9mm shell plate ready to ship.

I loaded up 150 rounds a couple days ago, all with Win 231. 50 124gr FMJ, 50 115gr FMJ, and 50 125gr LRN. I tested them in my RI 9MM Tactical, although they will probably see more use in a springfield XD. All the bullets came out the right end of the gun when I pulled the trigger, and all the gun parts stayed inside the gun. I'd call that a success. They were at least as accurate as I am, too.

The biggest complaint I have so far is this SmartReloader scale. It seems so testy, sometimes flipping back and forth on readings by as much as 0.4gr. Also, I need to find some cast bullets that don't smoke as much as these.

I'm only set up for 9mm now, but I plan to load .45ACP, .38/.357 mag, .30-30, and .223. If I can find enough brass I might load some .44mag for my brother.

This is much more enjoyable than I thought. Time to try loading these Berry's plated bullets I just got.
Marlin 336(.30-30, .35), 1895 .450, Model 60SS
Old April 10, 2011, 08:44 PM   #2
moxie

So why do you damn our country?

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old April 10, 2011, 08:58 PM   #3
Mad Martigan

calm yourself
Old April 10, 2011, 10:04 PM   #4
RWNielsen

Scale

You might want to just get a beam scale. It will always work and all you're really going to use it for is powder drop set-up and spot checks. I have a Dillon and an RCBS 10-10 that I rely on. Trouble free
Old April 10, 2011, 11:21 PM   #5
grubbylabs

I think the best mean scale I have used and seen is the Hornady scale. Good luck on slimming what you reload. You might as well stick your head between your legs and kiss your other end good buy.

I can't even get out to shoot for another month at least and I could not help but load a bunch of rounds yesterday.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old April 11, 2011, 12:05 AM   #6
okiefarmer

Good luck on finding cast bullets that don't smoke. Coincidentally, it's not the lead that is smoking, it is the lube you applied to it. Jacketed projos don't smoke for the same reason the don't have lube smeared on them.

Wesson oil is the only oil that don't smoke, according to Florence Henderson in that old Wesson oil commercial from the 70's. I guess the shooting industry never picked up on that technology.
Old April 11, 2011, 12:14 AM   #7
Mad Martigan

Safflower oil is supposed to have a high smoke pint.

I already have my eye on some Bayou Bullets. They have a "smokeless" line. I've seen several shooters using them. Not smokeless, but a large improvement. Marginally more expensive.
Old April 11, 2011, 12:42 AM   #8
Lost Sheep

.4 grain variations?

How close is your scale to any other electronic devices? Or even a power cord?

Electronic scales can be affected by stray electronic signals. Flourescent lights seem to be especially effective (or, at least, popular) at disrupting electronic scales.

Consider five feet a minimum distance. If that cures your problem, you can try lesser distances until you get erratic readings again. Just don't compress your comfort zone. Be safe. Always, all ways.

Or get a good balance bean scale if distance does not cure your problem, until the manufacturer makes good on their warranty.

My opinion: If you are using a powder measure with your progressive press and only weighing every so often, there is not much advantage in using an electronic scale vs the slightly slower mechanical balance beam. Consider trading out.

Random thought: Plated bullets are as clean as jacketed, perform much like cast lead (and use the same loading data) and only cost a little more than cast lead.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; April 11, 2011 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Add plated bullets reference
Old April 11, 2011, 05:45 AM   #9
KW Gary M

The Berry's Bullets will stop your smoke problem for sure. I shoot mostly cast and pretty much at an indoor range all the time and my only complaint is the smoke. I bought some Berry's and the issue was solved.