The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 21, 2007, 07:58 PM   #1
huchahuchax

Is this dumb or am I over reacting?

I was cleaning my Taurus Gaucho tonight when I noticed something peculiar. With the hammer down, every time I pulled the trigger the firing pin would engage. Since the Gaucho has a transfer bar I was pretty positive it wasn't supposed to do this. I checked my Ruger single actions and none of them had this problem. Still perplexed, I drove to my local gun shop where I knew they had a brand new Gaucho on display. The firing pin would engage on that gun also. I figured out that the Gaucho firing pin, transfer bar and hammer all have rounded edges and angles on them. The transfer bar is hooked directly to the trigger, so when you pull the trigger it wedges the bar directly into the firing pin.

I know, I know...
"Well, just keep your finger off the trigger".

I understand that. I'm just saying it seems silly to put a transfer bar on a single action revolver that will engage the firing pin every single time the trigger is pulled - really hard if the hammer is back or less hard but still engaged when the hammer is forward.
Old June 21, 2007, 08:14 PM   #2
MikeG

It might be sillier to have a revolver where the transfer bar didn't engage when the trigger is pulled.

I don't think the transfer bar can contact the firing pin hard enough to fire a primer by itself, when the hammer is down. It takes the hammer dropping on it to do that.

IMHO, the revolver is safe like that - don't worry.
Old June 21, 2007, 08:32 PM   #3
Joe the Redneck

It's fine. Think about it. If if didn't do that, the gun wouldn't work when you fired it.

Joe
Old June 21, 2007, 10:33 PM   #4
RJay

No, it isn't dumb and Yes, you are overreacting.