The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 4, 2005, 08:25 PM   #1
rockinguy2

Browning BT-99 shotgun

My name is Paul and i am looking for information on the browning bt-99, i was justs looking to find people who own one and see what they think about them. Also, if anyone knows a cheap place to buy one let me know. Thanks in advance for the imput
Old April 4, 2005, 08:34 PM   #2
kudu

I've shot one a handful of times, but don't have one. They have a real following. Check a couple of sites for prices.

http://www.indianagunclub.com/default.aspx

http://www.jaquas.com/gunlist/Search.asp
Old April 5, 2005, 06:49 PM   #3
NGP58

Hello Paul, I've owned a BT99 stainless steel with a 32" angle ported barell adjustable buttstock and Invictor plus chokes for about 4 years now. I LOVE it!! Bought it from a friend that I shot in a Trap league with. Besides getting a great deal from him I got to try it out first. One thing about them that everyone(myself included) seem to like is the nice tapered forend, it gives a nice grip on the gun. The angle ported barell takes alot of the recoil away. For me it's an excellent singles gun!!
Old April 6, 2005, 01:20 PM   #4
arcticap

I bought a base model with a 34" barrel. I think it's a smooth shooter and has good handling and a nice rib. The only problem that I had was a trigger spring broke within a year in the middle of a trap set. It was sent to Browning and was taken care of quickly for free and I have no complaints. One of the best shooters I know has one with an adjustable buttplate. I wish the forend had a little bit more wood like the older models from Belgium, but they don't have the invector plus and backboring. It can definitely reach out a long way with the 34" barrel & sights, so I find myself a little more able to be patient with my shots as opposed to some of the other shooters who are much quicker to shoot. I don't mind not having the porting, and because the action took a while to start to break in, I found that resting it between shots helps to prevent arm fatigue.
Old April 9, 2005, 03:54 AM   #5
SmokinTom

The BT-99 is a great gun for 16 yard shooting butt for handicap shooting they suck,Period. They shoot to flat and you have to cover the bird. That is NOT good.