The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Closed Thread

Old September 4, 2011, 11:02 AM   #26
threegun

Be nice to fast forward to the finals LOL.
Old September 4, 2011, 01:48 PM   #27
Glenn E. Meyer

Hey, I know a revolver champ around here who knows him too!

Anyway, I certainly fast forward the Red Headed Self-Proclaimed God of the Shotgun.
Old September 4, 2011, 02:20 PM   #28
Rspeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
Anyway, I certainly fast forward the Red Headed Self-Proclaimed God of the Shotgun.
I'm not a fan of the redhead either...he's just not good. But I did gain a little respect for him in the elimination round with the gatlin gun. Drawing out diagrams and studying them.
Old September 4, 2011, 05:55 PM   #29
Jason_G

Quote:
I was actually kind of pulling for the guy until he blew it in the slug challenge. I mean, it was awful! Bad case of the nerves I guess. After that, I thought "he's doomed". I'm surprised he didn't go home that episode.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old September 4, 2011, 11:57 PM   #30
KChen986

His cockiness annoys me. I wish he'd get eliminated already. He totally sucked on both the shotgun challenge and the shooting dice challenge.
Old September 5, 2011, 10:25 AM   #31
threegun

Quote:
Hey, I know a revolver champ around here who knows him too!
Glenn, Its not Jerry Miculek is it?
Old September 13, 2011, 06:44 PM   #32
Eghad

I like Top Shot myself and I get chuckles when the whiners come out. Remember the last two still have to hit the targets to win.

Quote:
Glenn, Its not Jerry Miculek is it?
Cliff Walsh is one of a few people who have defeted Mr. Miculek

NRA Life Member
Old September 13, 2011, 10:08 PM   #33
publius

He beat JERRY?!! Some bash Top Shot, saying these people aren't the top shots. It's just the name of the show, the winner is the top shot in the show, not in the world. They don't claim to be. Good luck to your buddy, sounds like if he knows a little about politics he should have a very good chance. I keep threatening to try out, but am too lazy to put together a tape
Old September 14, 2011, 11:15 AM   #34
loose_holster_dan

he is an animal! kinda nerdy looking, but he cleans up!
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old September 14, 2011, 12:35 PM   #35
NWPilgrim

Cliff is flying under the radar as "just a revolver guy." Last night he was the ONLY one who cleaned both explosive targets with one shot each in the rope course using the carbine. He obviously is pretty good with semi auto pistols and rifles, at least.

The Cornershot looks impractical, specialized use but maybe too specialized. It is just a Glock mounted in a hinged stock with a camera sight. But who is going to carry that around with them? And it has the range of a pistol not a rifle. I could see it sits in a patrol car and pulled out when pinned down, but I can't imagine the military hauling one of those along on a patrol because you have to have your carbines, SAW, grenades and ammo. As big as a carbine with only the range/ammo of a pistol.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old September 14, 2011, 01:04 PM   #36
ripnbst

The corner shot is impractical??? What about the gattling gun or cannon? No one said it was practical but they do have their uses.
Old September 14, 2011, 02:40 PM   #37
NWPilgrim

Quote:
The corner shot is impractical??? What about the gattling gun or cannon? No one said it was practical but they do have their uses.
I believe the Gatling gun and the cannon used WERE practical at the time of their manufacture and military use. This makes them historically significant.

The difference is that the Cornershot is in current production and intended for current use. It certainly works around corners, but who is going to lug one around in place of, or in addition to, his normal patrol weapon?

Do any current military or police forces employ the Cornershot? Other than the Israelis who manufacture the CS? General issue, supervisor only?
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old September 14, 2011, 03:53 PM   #38
ripnbst

I am not up to snuff on who carries what but in the show they did say that they were brought to popularity due to the recent more urban environment we are fighting in, in the middle east. Well maybe not urban but villages with buildings. Instead of:
A. Blind firing into a doorway
B. Attempting to quickly about face, asses situation, then fire

the corner shot is used.

What I was getting at is they all have their place. Shotguns are used in combat today, one may argue that isn't not practical to carry that either but people still do.
Old September 14, 2011, 04:49 PM   #39
Glenn E. Meyer

No, not Jerry. But my friend just came in second under Jerry in a recent match.

http://www.ammoland.com/2011/09/08/s...olver-contest/

Gregg! Real nice guy at local matches.
Old September 14, 2011, 05:27 PM   #40
thmsmgnm

I only watch that show to watch the whiny *******s get humbled, I was disappointed this week, Coach Attitude survived.

I still can't believe the best challenges get reserved for the elimination round, the canon and the gatling should have been team challenges.
Old September 14, 2011, 07:09 PM   #41
Jason_G

Speaking of Jerry, I thought I saw him on the commercial for the next episode, but I was looking at it from the other room, and he had a gun in front of his face, and I couldn't tell for sure. Is he supposed to be on there next episode, or was it someone else?

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old September 15, 2011, 12:06 PM   #42
KChen986

With all due respect, how did Jake become an officer? I'm not seeing many leadership traits from him.
Old September 15, 2011, 12:16 PM   #43
aarondhgraham

Quote:
With all due respect, how did Jake become an officer?
All you need is a college degree,,,
Sadly, no leadership skills are required for a commission.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 15, 2011, 02:10 PM   #44
threegun

I don't know names but when a former Navy Seal cannot hit a target with a very similar platform to what they used in the Navy, then thats a problem. It took the guy something like ten shots to hit them.
Quote:
Good luck to your buddy, sounds like if he knows a little about politics he should have a very good chance. I keep threatening to try out, but am too lazy to put together a tape
If I didn't have this stinking equilibrium problem I would have also. Mountains and equilibrium a bad mixture. You should try out though. If you apply the principles of marksmanship anyone can shoot good. Thats Cliff. He simply knows how to shoot anything that goes bang. He's not flashy, although very close to flashy with a wheel gun, just a good all around shot. This match is his. After watching the inability of the others to effectively shoot a rifle, I am convinced that its already over.
Old September 15, 2011, 03:10 PM   #45
threegun

Quote:
Cliff is flying under the radar as "just a revolver guy." Last night he was the ONLY one who cleaned both explosive targets with one shot each in the rope course using the carbine. He obviously is pretty good with semi auto pistols and rifles, at least.
He ran an m14 open sights at a threegun match we shot years ago. He finished behind me on the round but only because the recoil of the 308 vs my 223. He was hitting plates at 200 yards open sights. Not very big plates either. No misses then either.
Quote:
he is an animal! kinda nerdy looking, but he cleans up!
Very reserved but super competitive. Nerdy looking times two but a dead shot and ice water in his veins. We would be shooting side by side at Dade City Rod and Gun Club and he would lean over and say hey Chuck get yourself a revolver so you have a chance to beat me and then laugh. I would tell him to get rid of that old man gun and bring out a pistol. When he did I beat him. With a revolver not so much LOL.

One thing is for sure if Cliff can do it a bunch of us here on TFL can do it. Half the field in the matches I attended could do it.
Old September 15, 2011, 09:17 PM   #46
NWPilgrim

Quote:
Thats Cliff. He simply knows how to shoot anything that goes bang. He's not flashy, although very close to flashy with a wheel gun, just a good all around shot. This match is his. After watching the inability of the others to effectively shoot a rifle, I am convinced that its already over.
That is my impression as well. The VLTOR TS3 carbine with fairly simple shots at 75 yds and 100 yds, WITH SPOTTER, was abysmal for all but Cliff and maybe one other. He nailed it. In every competition he is cool, relaxed, focused, and has a efficient plan that he works. Impressive.

I hope they have a DA revolver round coming up.

Dustin is the other surprised. I wonder what his background is besides Christian Campground Counselor. Do they have a combat range at camp or something?
- James Madison
Old September 17, 2011, 05:17 PM   #47
Eghad

Cliff made that G34 Glock talk...lol. He woke a few folks up. The church guy is pretty awesome too. He was a machine on the friend or foe elimination.

Cliff did lose out on round 1 with the S&W Model 29 which is a revolver. That could have been part of his plan tho...lol

NRA Life Member
Old September 18, 2011, 11:26 PM   #48
KChen986

Quote:
All you need is a college degree,,,
Sadly, no leadership skills are required for a commission.

Aarond
Off topic, but as an OCS Candidate, I will have to disagree. Especially as a line officer.

Anyway, I hear the show messes with the weapon's sights. Is this true?
Old September 19, 2011, 06:48 PM   #49
Jason_G

Quote:
Anyway, I hear the show messes with the weapon's sights. Is this true?
Where did you hear that?

Jason
Old September 21, 2011, 02:40 PM   #50
Bartholomew Roberts

Well something is definitely screwy with the zero when you need a spotter to make hits with an AR at 75yds and 100yds on an 8" target at 100yds. I wonder if they used a 25yd military zero? That would have made those targets much more difficult.
Closed Thread