The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 10, 2010, 11:50 AM   #26
2rugers

Saw this just yesterday.

Maybe not the strangest thing I have ever seen , but definitely weirdly humorous.

He goes where they go and was even trying to get my bull to fight with him like he would another boar hog.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wild piglets 1-8-10 001.jpg (269.7 KB, 438 views)
File Type: jpg wild piglets 1-8-10 012.jpg (265.8 KB, 364 views)
Old January 10, 2010, 05:57 PM   #27
Deerhunter

About 10 years ago a few of us were out on opening day of pheasant season. My buddy and I walked down a field. We were walking back towards the other guys when a big 6 or 8 point buck ran right between us. We were in a corn field with about 2 rows between us. I could have reached out and touched it. We both just looked at each other and couldn't believe what happened. If that deer would have hit one of us it wouldn't have been good.
Old January 10, 2010, 07:58 PM   #28
langenc

Jumped a nice ringneck pheasant on two different occasions-bird flew 20 yards or so and smacked into the barn. Got one but the other recovered for we could get around and out of the weed chocked corral.
Old January 10, 2010, 08:26 PM   #29
robhof

robhof

I got to my ground blind a few years ago before daybreak and as soon as I'm settled in I start hearing cracking brush and sniffing sounds around my blind and the faint scent of skunk. The zipper on my blind doesn't close completely and the little skunk comes in and looks around and finally leaves. I wasn't going to move or bother him for sure. He looked up at me a few times, but seemed very relaxed thank goodness.
Old January 10, 2010, 10:47 PM   #30
Fat White Boy

10-96... I found a weather balloon, also. I was about 12 years old, hunting pheasant with my dad near Ontario, Ca. I was convinced I would get a big reward for sending in the card. Needless to say, I was slightly disappointed when I got a Thank You card from NOAA...
Old January 11, 2010, 01:07 AM   #31
LateNightFlight

A couple of weeks ago, my cousin and I got a late start for a black powder hunt because he stopped to dispatch and retrieve a deer he witnessed being hit by a car. By the time he got a permit from the sheriff’s office to keep the deer, then got it field dressed and hung, it was too late for us to go over to the farm we planned to hunt. Instead, we decided we would walk out to the back of the farm we were on and make the best of what would only be an hour before dark. As we got to the end of the lane and started into the back field, we were shocked to see two puppies out on the snow. And by “pups,” I don’t mean young lost dogs. These tykes just waddled along, bellies dragging through the snow, way out in the middle of nowhere, unsheltered in some serious negative wind chills.

At first I wondered if they might be feral, but they weren’t afraid of us. Even if they were feral, where was the mother and how had they not already been eaten by the hawks patrolling the fields, or coyotes, or a bobcat? We wondered if there might be others, so after scooping these two up, we tried to back track along their meandering prints looking for more puppies they may have separated from. But within a hundred yards or so, the blowing snow had covered their tracks. It was bizarre – and we darn sure couldn’t figure out how they got there, where they could have come from, and how they ever made it through the snow drifts. But we knew they hadn’t just fallen out of the sky!

They were shivering, so we tucked them in our coats and packed them back to the house. As luck would have it, my aunt had just learned that a neighbor’s dog had pups, so we took them over to their house and sure enough they had been looking for them. They were very happy and hugely relieved. These 7 week old puppies had somehow traveled almost a half mile as the crow flies. Perhaps they had tried to follow their mother, but got separated because of the snow drifts and then began to wander?

These are two very luck puppies! If the deer hadn’t been hit… if my cousin hadn’t stopped… hadn’t learned he needed to go to the sheriff’s office and so forth, we would have never been there. And there’s no way two 7 week old puppies would have survived the night. If the predators didn’t get them, the cold would have finished them for sure.

Old January 11, 2010, 01:27 AM   #32
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If I were the owner to get them back, I would name them Lucky and Chance
Glad it worked out as it did for them and hope ya'll missin' a hunt and finding them will be rewarded with a right fine deer of the type you seek, be it trophy or freezer fodder.
Brent
Old January 11, 2010, 03:30 AM   #33
WhistlerSWE

I was out in the woods with a couple of friends shooting airsoft rifles on each other (we do it in the summer when the hunt is off) when my friend accidently scares up a doe, who runs straight at me, not seeing me being all ghillied up and sitting still. At that speed, those things sure are large! I threw myself to the side and found myself wishing for a whole other type of rifle.

About ten or twelve years ago I was out with my family on a weekend canoe trip. We followed a small river that went pretty deep into the forest, where we really didn't expect any kind of civilisation. About 60 feet up in the air we see a large white bird strung up on a Y-formed branch. First we thought it was a prank, that someone had placed a rubber bird there as a prank, but as we paddled closer we saw that it was a real animal. It was too far up to say for certain, but it was probably a swan that had flown into the tree and hung himself.
Old January 11, 2010, 11:46 AM   #34
Noonan

Many years ago I was canoeing in Everglades National Park with some friends. We had stopped to camp, and we saw a very strange animal climbing up a tree on the other side of the river. I took a picture of it, it was kind of like a giant raccoon. Years later I found out that it was a Coati, which is not native to the area, but was introduced into the Everglades. We had no idea what this thing was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coati
Old January 11, 2010, 04:29 PM   #35
A_Gamehog

I saw a Goose nested in a tree in a lake!

Hyatt Lake, Or. when I was hunting there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-001X.JPG (93.2 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-002X.JPG (175.6 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-003X.JPG (96.7 KB, 206 views)
Old January 11, 2010, 07:11 PM   #36
CajunBass

Those remind me of some pictures I used to have of geese nesting on top of a duck blind. I've always thought the perfect caption would have been: "They'll never find us here."
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 11, 2010, 09:37 PM   #37
POKEYJOE04

I was rabbit hunting with my brother-in-law and his three beagles. The beagles jumped a swamp rabbit and chased it out into the edge of a small lake, and the rabbit turned around and tried to drown one of the beagles. My brother-in-law had to wade out in the cold water and rescue his beagle from the rabbit.
Old January 11, 2010, 09:55 PM   #38
Big Bill

I saw a Woverine up by Lick Lake in central Idaho,

In about 1972 I saw a comet pass directly overhead. I thought it was a plane going down at first, but then it just kept going north till it went over the horizon. It was hissing and popping the entire time and it was HUGE!
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr

Last edited by Big Bill; January 11, 2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old January 11, 2010, 10:17 PM   #39
fisherman66

Quote:
1. Aunt and Uncle out night clubbing and on the way home in the fog hit a deer broadside with their Cadillac. No damage whatsoever to the car, deer not so lucky, he rolled over the hood and kept on rolling uo over the windshield till it was atop the car and came to a stop with the rear feet over the passenger door and the head and feet over the driver side door. They drove home and at dark thirty in the morning sat in the driveway honking their horn. Next door neighbor was a game warden and they need him to get the deer off the car so they could get out and so he could tag it as road k9ll so they could keep the deer.
Wow, you might be a redneck...

I ain't got nuttin on most of these stories, but I'll share.

We had a full house on the opening weekend of whitetail season several years ago. I was in the bunkhouse with several other younger lease members and guests. One young hunter awoke in the middle of the night screaming. Apparently he had a rat crawl into his sleeping bag and nestled against his chest. He had just gotten a new puppy; who slept in his bed at home, and in his sleep he confused the rat for his new puppy. After he pets the varmint for a few minutes he realizes he's not at home and his puppy is. It didn't take long for him to realize he was petting a rat. When he screamed, he jumped, flinging the rat into the middle of the room and hitting his own head on the top bunk, putting a pretty nasty egg in the center of his forehead. We all brought rubber rats to camp for the next several years, tucking them into his sleeping bag when he wasn't looking. That's not the only rats story of that weekend, but that's the one I remember the most vividly.
Old January 11, 2010, 11:58 PM   #40
Huffmanite

While not strange, more unusual, but one day I was driving through the woods along a little used dirt road on the way to the land I hunted on. There was a part of the road that was little more than a trail and I had slowed down my car to almost a crawl and I was just a couple of feet from a barbed wire fence on the driver's side of the car when I looked out my side window to see a sight that few people have probably ever seen. Just a few feet on the other side of the fence was a doe that had just given birth to a fawn. I stopped my car to watch the doe jump up and run a short distance away leaving the fawn on the ground. I spent several minutes watching the fawn struggle to stand up for the first time on it wobblely legs. What a beautiful sight as it finally stood and took its first steps on its way to the side of its mother.

Another story is on the strange side. Back about 1966, I'm attending SFA University in Nacogdoches, Tx. I had ridden home with a friend for the weekend and we were returning to Nacogdoches late at night. Back then most of Hwy 59 was a two lane asphalt road and we were between Lufkin and Nacogdoches, along a stretch of the road where few people lived. I was half asleep in the front seat. when my friend began yelling at me to wake up and look in front of us. Well, I awoke with a start and looked. My friend had hit his high beams and I was able to see what he was yelling about just as it was leaving the headlights. Before I could say anything about what we had seen, my friend asked me what I thought it was. Now to be quite honest, I had not seen all of the critter, just from the front shoulder to its tail. Just as my eyes had focused on the critter, it had turned slightly so I could not see its head. Anyway, I replied to my friend that at first I thought it was just a big black dog with short fur, but no way it was a dog with the way it held its tail and how it ran, that I had seen some kind of very large BLACK cat, that appeared to be larger than a cougar. My friend, who had seen it the whole time it had crossed the highway in front of us then told me that I was right, it was a big black cat. I do not like to use the term black panther to describe the cat. About 6 years later, while attending a sporting show at the Astrodome complex, the Texas Parks & wildlife people had an exhibit and I chatted with a game warden from that part of Texas, telling him my story about the cat. Well, lets just say he did not believe my story, but he did say there had been stories about black cats in East Texas, but none had ever been documented......and etc. LOL, several years ago I read an article in the Houston newspaper that pretty up confirmed their existence in East Texas and western Louisiana.
Old January 12, 2010, 01:57 AM   #41
Sgt. Happypants

In Arkansas I saw a terrifying, gigantic mutant hyena beast. I have no idea what it was but it had teeth stickin out of its closed mouth.

And when it ran, its ass was all low to the ground.
Old January 12, 2010, 05:34 AM   #42
Nnobby45

Quote:
In Arkansas I saw a terrifying, gigantic mutant hyena beast. I have no idea what it was but it had teeth stickin out of its closed mouth.

And when it ran, its ass was all low to the ground.
Yes, and some of the best and most potent White Lightening is locally produced in more than a few 'ol barns in various local areas. You're supposed to wait 'till AFTER you're done hunting for the day.
Old January 12, 2010, 08:50 AM   #43
geetarman

I was maybe 16 years old living in Kentucky. I went squirrel hunting around Cunningham, Kentucky in a patch of woods I thought I knew.

I used to get out into the woods well before dawn so I could hear the squirrels as they began to move out of the nests and begin cutting hickory nuts.

You could follow the moving leaves as the cuttings fell and find the squirrel.

I was sitting on the ground in the dark with my back to a tree.

Something came up behind me and let out a roar that just about made me mess my pants.

I do not know for sure, but think it must have been a wildcat that got pretty close to me and smelled me.

I can tell you I have never been so scared in my life. Whatever it was, there was only the single roar and it was gone.

I have had raccoons walk up to me as well as foxes and sometimes dogs and have walked up on deer unexpected but this was different and it really got my attention.
Old January 12, 2010, 11:46 AM   #44
LateNightFlight

Quote:
I used to get out into the woods well before dawn
Yes, odd sounds in the dark can be unnerving!

This past rifle season, I arrived in the dark and had just gotten out of the truck to begin my walk down to a tree stand when I was startled by the sound of a blood curdling scream. It sounded like a woman in shear terror, somewhere about half way between me and the road, right along the edge of the woods. I spun towards the scream as the hair stood up on my neck and waited for another scream, or any other sound to locate the origin of distress.

Man, I’ve heard screech owls before, but this particular owl needs to go back to screech school. He was so far off the standard screech that I doubt another screech owl would consider him one of their own!

Screech owl: 1 LateNightFlight: 0
Old January 12, 2010, 12:20 PM   #45
Uncle Buck

When I was a kid growing up in Hopkinton RI, I was visiting a friends house and the girls father asked me to go out and turn the lights on in the barn. I turned the lights on and there was an ungodly scream. Damn Peacocks!

I thank the Good Lord that the girls brother wore the same size pants as I did. They laughed so hard and said I did not touch the ground except for once between the barn and the house.

I have hated peacocks since then.
Old January 12, 2010, 03:16 PM   #46
Daugherty16

Not so good, but anyway...

Was out for a deer hunt this fall, and the darn squirrels were so thick and noisy, scrabbling around in the leaves, they really startd to tick me off (you know, you think its a buck but its only a darned squirrel). So i sight in on one, a big old grey. Like he knew i had him in the crosshairs, he took off up a huge old hickory tree. i lowered the gun, and just sent him some mind bullets. So he climbs way up, tries to jump to a neighboring tree (probably done it 100 times before) but he missed - and fell about 100 feet to the ground. Shot him with mind bullets - not bad, but apparently not fatal either. He got up, cussing like mad, and disappeared up the other tree.

Another time i was hunting with a buddy, posted about 100 yards from me. Out strolls a little button buck, down the path, then he turns toward me. I had the wind, and was behind the scope to HIDE from him. Didn't want to shoot him, kind of small. So he kept walking closer until finally i decided, i'd better shoot him or soon i'd have to wrestle him to the ground. So i shoot - and blow a sapling into pieces, a sapling i never even saw in the scope.

So he runs away, then turns straight at my buddy. I hear, real quick, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM. Then Tony yells my name. The little buck ran straight at him, fast. He thought he was going to get run over, so he shoots and pumps, shoots and pumps, so fast I thought he had his shotgun on automatic.

Talk about a lucky deer. From a distance of less than 20', i completely missed this deer and killed a tree. From a distance of 25' and closer, Tony missed 3 straight shots. He said, "I would have done better if i'd just swung it like a club". Me too.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.
Old January 12, 2010, 05:27 PM   #47
phil mcwilliam

While I didn't witness this, I was staying on my mate Mike's 2,000 acre cattle property in Australia at the time. Mike had got up early for a fish on his property that has 5 miles of river frontage.
Mike had settled in for a fish, when he heard dogs barking, with the barking getting louder as they headed in his direction. After a few minutes a big buck kangaroo hopped down to cross the river at the spot where my mate was fishing.
The buck kangaroo was followed by a few female kangaroos and all were being pursued by 2 wild dogs.
The buck kangaroo stopped in the middle of the river which was waist deep, and allowed the female kangaroos to cross safely to the other side. The dogs arrived at the river and swam out to the waiting buck kangaroo.
This old buck roo waited until the dogs were swimmimg near him & with his front paws held the dogs underwater, attempting to drown the dogs. Mike said this went on for a good 5 minutes, with the dogs repeatedly trying to attack the roo, and being held underwater before breaking free & surfacing coughing & spluttering.
The wild dogs eventually tired & swam to the shore where they became aware of mike & high-tailed it into the bush. The old buck roo also became aware of Mike, but held his ground in the middle of the river. Mike reckons the roo was sizing him up, and as he had just witnessed it fending off 2 wild dogs, Mike decided to call it quits for fishing for that day & proceeded back to the main house to relate this story to me.
Old January 12, 2010, 07:37 PM   #48
N.H. Yankee

Reading the posts has jogged my memory. While hunting in the Monadnock region of N.H. miles from any house I saw a large dog run across a logging road and stop. A couple minutes later I heard puppies whimpering and catch up to the mother. I continued my hunt and a couple hours later heard the whimpering again non-stop. I decided to investigate and found one of the puppies stuck at a high stone wall. I could barely hear the mother barking what had to be 1/2 mile or more away and fading. I scoffed up the pup and carried it quite a way back to my ATV.

The same day my buddy was getting his ham and cheese sandwich ready to eat when a deer came running by, he jumped up, shot at the deer and pursued looking for blood. He found no blood after a 150 yard search with light snow on the ground. As he went back to where he had been sitting he saw a dog grab his sandwich and take off with it. I think it was the same mother dog from the description.

I jumped on my ATV with pup in my arms and headed in the direction I heard mother barking from last. I never found mother that day or the next, I brought the dog home and contacted the PD of the town I had been in. I ended up finding a good home for the pup as I already had 2 dogs.

I am retired from the Air Force, a base I was on had a remote area that allowed hunting. The base had been a WWII bombing range, and the craters were numerous. One day while hunting I came across a 500lb bomb, I contacted CSC ( security ) and they called in DOD bomb disposal. The next day I was in my office when I heard a tremendous explosion. The blast was so loud I instinctively hit the floor as I felt the shock wave that followed could have broken windows. I called security and it was the bomb I had found the day before and the DOD guys found it was live and they blew it in place.

As a footnote, one day when I was cruising the rear area I actually saw a roads and grounds civilian pushing a 100lb bomb to the side of a dirt road with a grader. He had been grading the road when the bomb surfaced, I stopped him ASAP and immediately got security out there. Mr Einstein grader operator felt I was over re-acting, DUH!!!
Old January 12, 2010, 07:41 PM   #49
troy_mclure

ive seen a few dogs have to be rescued from coons trying to dron them, and saw one guy shoot his dog trying to pick off the coon.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 12, 2010, 08:54 PM   #50
bowtekhunter

got to my treestand opening morning only to see sasquatch in it holding a 30-06