The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 4, 2008, 11:02 PM   #1
Sigma 40 Blaster

Separating Different Trigger Pulls

Guys,

Anyone who likes to shoot a LOT of different kinds of guns?

My primary carry is a XD .45c. I have several thousand rounds through it and can shoot well with it.

I recently acquired the following guns:
4" S&W 686
M&P 9 compact
Taurus 1911

The 1911 and revolver are for match shooting only, the M&P gets some holster time (will likely get more time as I grow to trust it and get familiar with it). I take the XD with me at least every other week to the range without fail, I need to stay sharp with it.

I usually take the revolver and my Mark III together, now I have to find a way to work my Taurus into the mix.

I saw, and replied to a thread about shooting guns with different triggers and can truly appreciate the problem after breaking in my Taurus today. It's trigger is NIGHT AND DAY between anything else I shoot. The revolver is in it's own class, and my other semi autos are similar enough it's not an issue.

So do any 5 gun masters have any tips or techniques they use to get ready to shoot different kinds of guns on any given day with NO warm up period?

I keep telling myself "straight back and steady" for my Taurus, "straight back and up a little" for anything other than my revolver...and for it I just say "do the best you can".

Any tips or tricks to training yourself for VERY different trigger pulls and adapting as soon as possible would be appreciated.
Old July 4, 2008, 11:24 PM   #2
grumpycoconut

Stop analyzing and shoot! A trigger pull is a trigger pull is a trigger pull. My S&W 4006 is different from my Glock is different from my S&W 686 is different from my AR-15 is different from my High Standard Supermatic Trophy but none of that matters unless I spend too much time thinking about it. As soon as I decide to press the trigger I just press the trigger. The only time I think about different trigger pulls is when I'm first learning a new gun or working extra slow to get past a problem. Once I'm working at speed I find that conscious thought about the physical parts of shooting seriously degrades performance.

Try laying all your toys out on the bench and change guns every time you run one dry. Change guns early and often until the transition happens without thought.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Old July 5, 2008, 12:33 AM   #3
crashm1

I don't worry about it much, the fundamentals are the same with all of them. I mostly own 1911s of various types and sizes but I do have a couple double action revolvers and a S&W 39-2. I carry a 1911 so that is what I practice with the most and the transition to a DA pull at the range with the revolvers is weird for a couple shots then I forget about it. I don't really like the transistion from DA to SA on the 39, fortunately it's just a range gun. If I can't get used to it after acouple thousand rounds of practice I'll get rid of it.
Old July 5, 2008, 01:18 AM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...Any tips or tricks to training yourself for VERY different trigger pulls...breaking in my Taurus today..." Triggers don't get 'broken in'. They get fixed. All new firearms require a trigger job due to frivolous law suits. Then it's a matter of adjusting your shooting technique according to the firearm. Just like you would if you go from a standard transmission to an automatic. A DA revolver will never be the same as a single action pistol. It's in your head. You do have to shoot all of your firearms regularly though.
Old July 6, 2008, 02:03 PM   #5
MLeake

Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire...

... and focus on not letting the front sight move.

This works very well with a CrimsonTrace or other laser pointer, too.

Cheers,

M