Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 10, 2015, 02:27 PM   #26
jdscholer

EARTH FIRST!!

We'll log the other planets later.
Old May 11, 2015, 08:22 AM   #27
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

A few more and then I figure we've done enough damage.
Old May 11, 2015, 11:07 AM   #28
buck460XVR

Few tears back a local shooting preserve had a problem with feral cats preying on released pheasants. Since it's legal here to shoot feral cats(and recommended by the DNR) they posted a sign in the office asking all hunters to shoot any cat seen on the preserve's property. This brought animate protest from the local cat lovers. The Preserve's response was to sell hats, shirts and bumper stickers with the phrase, "I LOVE cats, they taste just like Pheasant!"
Old May 11, 2015, 12:01 PM   #29
Husqvarna

In the 70s SAKO the fine finnish rifle manufacturer did ads with nude women standing shouldering rifles in the woods, healthy, hairy women

I guess I can't link to them here...

We have a saying in Sweden now concerning wolves, and it pops up on hats, bumperstickers etc

Skjut, gräv, tig, translated shoot, dig, keep your mouth shut
often just SGT

makes for a badass song to

Raubitier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpnBeMOce2g
Old May 11, 2015, 12:01 PM   #30
tahunua001

I love all of gods creatures.... smothered in onions.

a favorite parable of mine:
a hunter was driving on his way to his deer stand when a car pulled up behind him and started following him. the hunter continued on his way well aware that the car was following very closely and making a very deliberate attempt to follow him. once he got to his destination he climbed out of his car and grabbed his rifle, and checked his gear just as the person following him hopped out of their car and started screaming at them that he was a terrible person for murdering innocent animals and he didn't say a word, just started walking into the woods. the protester followed making as much noise as they possibly could and continued yelling insults. about an hour later, several miles from where he had left the vehicles the hunter stopped, turned towards the worn out protester and said, "this is where I leave you". the protester looked at him and said "I'm not letting a cold blooded murderer like you out of my sight". with that the hunter simply glanced at his rifle, his sidearm and his knife before looking the protester dead in the eye and replied "I don't know who you think you are, but you better take a look at where you are at".

I always thought that was kindof funny.
Old May 13, 2015, 12:28 PM   #31
buck460XVR

As responsible gun owners and hunters, we need to remember there's a difference between what's politically correct and what's legally correct. While there may be a wide gray line and difference of opinion when it comes to political correctness, when it comes to what's legal and what's not, the line is very definite. To publicly condone any illegal activities is not the image we as responsible gun owners and hunters should want to present. Even to other gun owners and hunters.
Old May 13, 2015, 03:21 PM   #32
rickyrick

Should I turn myself in for laughing at the endangered species tasting like another endangered species joke?

Btw... It is legal to hunt and kill Bigfoot in Texas.

The Texas parks and wildlife department has classified them as a non-native species. No bag limit
Old May 13, 2015, 06:57 PM   #33
kilimanjaro

Here in Washington, Bigfoot is a protected species, by law. It's a felony to shoot one.

So far, no one has been caught with a Sasquatch rug.

It's also illegal in the next county to milk a cow on Sunday, for some reason.
Old May 14, 2015, 08:21 AM   #34
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

No real argument, Buck, but politically incorrect humor is as American as mom and apple pie. Always has been and always will be.

Reasons vary. Stress relief. Protest against self-righteousness or smugness. "Different strokes for different folks."

Some of it is merely a recitation of fact: A whooping crane can feed more hungry people than a spotted owl.

"Don't take life seriously; it won't last forever." But at near age 81, I sometimes wonder.
Old May 14, 2015, 01:56 PM   #35
rickyrick

Glad to know, because I live in Washington now, so I won't shoot any big-foots. I'd love to sit around the campfire with one and share a smoke and six-pack
Old May 14, 2015, 05:15 PM   #36
Pinky Carruthers

Quote:
Skjut, gräv, tig
Husqvarna, we have the same saying here in the US. It is Shoot, shovel, shutup or "the three S's".
SOM
Old May 15, 2015, 09:25 AM   #37
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Eatman:

No real argument, Buck, but politically incorrect humor is as American as mom and apple pie. Always has been and always will be.
While politically incorrect humor may be as American as Apple pie, how it is presented and it's content does promote an image. <<<The jokes we make based on stereotypes or invective tend to stereotype us and open us up to invective in turn. If we are trying to promote a certain image of ourselves, we can damage our own cause if we are unwise in the way we exercise our right to be politically incorrect.>>> As a minority in this country, hunters have a hard enough time defending their sport to those that oppose it and us. We do not need to promote a "Bubba, the law breaking redneck" image to those folks and folks that are still neutral to hunting. Most of these folks know we are not really eating feral cats, spotted owls and whooping cranes, but when we promote the idea that we regularly SSS protected wildlife, or threaten others with our hunting firearms, it is not a joke to them, and because I take my right to hunt and the threats against it seriously, they really are not a joke to me either. Almost as tasteless as politically incorrect jokes about sexual predation on children. Some find those funny and tell others to "lighten up Margaret!" too.

Last edited by JohnKSa; May 16, 2015 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Replaced some examples & text that were apparently viewed as an irresistible invitation to stray off topic.
Old May 15, 2015, 09:56 AM   #38
Chuck Dye

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick
"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"
I offer a short interlude with Flanders & Swan. ( Almost all of their stuff is fun.)
Old May 15, 2015, 11:35 AM   #39
dirtd0g

"Being politically correct means saying what's polite rather than what's accurate. I like to be accurate." - Robert Kiyosaki

"What's politically correct a lot of times is not funny." - Denis Leary

I support the constitution. This includes our right to free speech. Surely no one here can honestly claim to unabashedly support the second amendment without supporting an individual's right to say whatever the hell they want at the same time. The way what you say reflects on you is your problem, but go ahead; make an ass of yourself!
Old May 15, 2015, 08:07 PM   #40
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

"As a minority in this country, hunters have a hard enough time defending their sport to those that oppose it and us."

Ergo, don't use politically incorrect humor as a form of protest if you are in a minority group?

Please realize that I'm not talking about "funny comments" that are rude, crude and gross.
Old May 16, 2015, 11:40 AM   #41
buck460XVR

Quote:
Ergo, don't use politically incorrect humor as a form of protest if you are in a minority group?
Duh.........kinda what I've been trying to say from the start, Art.

I have no problem with humor, my problem is when these threads go from humor to promoting and condoning unsafe and illegal practices, especially under the ruse that it's "humor".

I help teach hunter safety. Some of the things we try to impress upon our students besides firearm safety and ethics in the field are following game laws and presenting a positive image as a hunter to others. Altho on opening day of deer, pheasant or dove season, it does not seem like it, Hunters are a minority. One only needs to look at the amount of viewers/posters on this forum and see that. While at this time there are 250 folks viewing and posting in the semi-auto handgun subforum, there are only 23 viewing and posting here in the hunting subforum. Numbers are similar even during the height of hunting season. If we want respect from the majority of non-hunters, we also need to be respectful of them and not give thm a negative impression of us. Many folks here will complain about how some open carry folks give a negative impression by not using common sense when they open carry, but then think it's fine to promote the breaking of game laws. It all comes down to common sense. If you're a violator and think that you have some sort of justification to breaking a law, keep it to yourself. The rest of us law abiding hunters don't need the negative press.
Old May 16, 2015, 07:12 PM   #42
rightside

Maybe whooping cranes don't taste good or get hunted, but you really should try these, "ribeye in the sky!"
https://bestyummyrecipes.wordpress.c...crane-nuggets/
Old May 16, 2015, 07:15 PM   #43
Mosin-Marauder

Removed.
William Tecumseh Sherman

Last edited by Mosin-Marauder; May 18, 2015 at 09:05 PM. Reason: off topic stuff :p
Old May 16, 2015, 07:41 PM   #44
jmr40

My minor contribution. From our hunt camp in Colorado a few years ago. One of our party brought this and put it on one of the tents.

Old May 19, 2015, 10:38 PM   #45
Auto5

Years ago, I was lucky enough to draw one of the coveted opening day slots for dove hunting at a nearby state park. As the hunters took up their assigned positions, a group of protesters began flying rc planes just behind the shooters, from across the road, to keep the birds away. One of the planes strayed just a bit too far forward. As if an unspoken signal had been given, the toy plane disintegrated in a barrage of gunfire. Empty shells were quickly ejected and pocketed. Barely able to keep a straight face, the conservation officer went down to each shooting position and dutifully asked who had fired. Receiving only negative replies and innocent looks, he then relocated the model aircraft enthusiasts to a "safer" location.