The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 26, 2007, 02:04 PM   #1
azredhawk44

Ruger Redhawk Bluing

I've shot my redhawk a lot over the last 3-4 years of owning it. It's gotten carried tromping through the desert on hot days, sweaty hands on the grips when shooting, etc.

The backstrap of the grip frame is starting to lose its bluing.

Do gunsmiths perform a "ridging" or stipling of the backstrap on wheelguns like they will for 1911's? Smith 629's seem to have some vertical lines on the exposed backstrap.

And/Alternatively, can the blue be matched to the rest of the Ruger bluing on my gun?
Old March 26, 2007, 02:50 PM   #2
rantingredneck

You can send it in to Ruger to have it factory reblued. Check their website at

www.ruger-firearms.com

I think it costs something like $50.00 but I may be wrong there.

EDIT: Whaddayaknow. I was right. From Ruger's website:

Quote:
Rebluing: Pistols, Rifles, Revolvers: $50.00 / Shotguns: $75.00
Not sure but I think return shipping charges may be extra though.

Last edited by rantingredneck; March 26, 2007 at 08:48 PM.
Old March 26, 2007, 06:51 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

Most any gunsmith worth the name can stipple the back strap, and if you're handy with tools, you can do it yourself.
About all you need is a small padded vise to hold the part, and a small hammer and a stippling punch.

After it's stippled, send it in to Ruger for a re-blue.
Old March 27, 2007, 11:46 AM   #4
paul salchow

Even though stipping works as intended, it looks like hell. checkering looks better if done correctly but the cost can be $150.00 to $200.00 for a good job.
If you have the time stippling is a good low cost way to gain control of grip under recoil.
I would see if ruger still does checkering and the cost of it, for me it is a better finished looking job.
Old April 1, 2007, 09:42 AM   #5
Jason280

Personally, I would send it back to Ruger and have them reblue it. Cost is $50 plus shipping, and turnaround time is about two months. I had them do a couple of single actions for me, and the results were pretty good. Granted, they aren't going to spend a lot of time on metal prep, so don't expect a deep mirror blue. If your gun has any significant pitting or gouges, they are still going to be there when you get the gun back. However, you will have a very nice bluing job that you can't beat for the price.

Here are some pics of the two they did for me. The first gun is a 3-Screw Single Six, and the second is a first year New Model Blackhawk in .45 Colt. I requested Ruger to check the lock work on both guns, and each came back with superb triggers!

As far as the stippling, are you sure you want to go that route? Some loads can get a little uncomfortable in the .44, and I don't know if I would want any stippling digging in to my hand. Checkering would be a little better, but considerably more expensive. Personally, I would cut a strip of skateboard tape the width of the backstrap and try that first, which would give you a good idea of whether you will like it. Some call this "poor man's checkering", but I have found it to be very effective on the frontstrap of steel framed pistols.