The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 8, 2015, 08:13 PM   #51
Hunter Customs

I thought it was a 30-06, I believe in one of the shows his son was hand-loading some 30-06 ammo.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old March 9, 2015, 11:46 AM   #52
Deerhunter

Quote:
Speaking of Otto, from what I know of that area, Otto could make a dern good living with his landing craft hauling supplies and equipment for others who live in that part of Alaska.
Otto does use his landing craft to help out others / barter for goods. They used it to clear a beach recently where they got to take all the metal from the clean up. He moves horses for one lady and she trades hay/straw with him for it to feed his cattle.
Old March 10, 2015, 09:55 PM   #53
Bucksnort1

Art EATMAN, is he or will Chip be a felon? By the way, have you ever seen anyone in more dire need of a visit to the dentist than Chip. His wife is not fare behind him.
Old March 10, 2015, 10:04 PM   #54
Bucksnort1

I do believe Chip's wife, as I mentioned earlier, can do things non-natives cannot do.

Last year, I watched an episode of "Yukon Men". I saw two of the regulars, in the dead of winter, looking for a hibernating bear to shoot while in the den. This didn't seem right to me so I did some research on the internet and found that natives in the Yukon can hunt anything, in any manner, anytime of the year. While doing the research, I must have had a brain fart thinking the show is done in Canada. I now realize the show's name is Yukon Men but it takes place in Alaska. I don't know if Alaska has the same rules for natives like in the Yukon in Canada but it seems unfair for them to take a sow bear with youngsters in the den in the winter.
Old March 10, 2015, 10:51 PM   #55
weedsnager

Atz kilcher has a net worth of 5 million. Otto- 4 Million.
Old March 11, 2015, 07:24 AM   #56
fineredmist

Where did you get the information re: net worth?
Old March 11, 2015, 07:49 AM   #57
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Pogybait, I don't know. He posted some details, some months back, but I've not kept up.
Old March 11, 2015, 09:06 AM   #58
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by fineredmist:

Where did you get the information re: net worth?

http://www.therichest.com/celebnetwo...her-net-worth/

You can also take a guided tour of the homestead, stay in one of the cabins or visit their living museum.
Old March 11, 2015, 12:26 PM   #59
AJG

In TV shows there is something called a SCRIPT!
And these characters as well as on other "reality" shows follow the script for the most part. Mother Nature and unintended occurances being outside the realm of the script, I actually like the show for it's entertainment value...
Old March 12, 2015, 10:15 AM   #60
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by AJG:

In TV shows there is something called a SCRIPT!

I actually like the show for it's entertainment value...

Unless you are using domesticated animals trained to come to a particular spot to be shot, there is no script to hunting and fishing sequences. It is readily apparent that the Kilcher family is not hunting pastured animals or fishing in a barrel. Thing is, it is also readily apparent that the Kilcher family is not very good at hunting and fishing. We are led to believe they have been subsistence hunters all their lives. We are also told everytime they go to hunt or fish that "we need this meat to survive the winter". If that were really so, they would be much better at it. Funny how many times when they have success, they have someone else along to guide them. Then there are the examples of Jane and Atz Lee throwing lead at a bear at long range without knowing the yardage and then aimlessly wandering thru the brush to see if they hit it. Last week, Atz was shooting a shotgun and hunting waterfowl for the first time in his life. This is man supposedly born and raised in Alaska(on the final frontier), spent over half a century there, hunting for subsistence and never shot a shotgun, nor hunted waterfowl. Then there are the examples of taking a bush plane or a commercial ferry to an island hunting and coming back with no meat or one small deer. For the cost of the ferry or the float plane ride, they could have bought a couple more calves for Otto's herd.

Entertainment yes. Reality, not so much.
Old March 14, 2015, 10:28 AM   #61
Bucksnort1

22-rimfire,

I'm guessing you're right about a lodge. Another outdoorsman, who was caught trying to fool his viewers, is Bear Gryls. Bear was doing a show from the Scottish Highlands. The weather was awful so he build a nice shelter for the night. You did not see him sleeping in it. The next scene shows him crawling out of the shelter in the morning. Someone spilled the beans so he had to change wording and re-shoot scenes on some shows. I don't want to minimize his abilities and achievements by saying this so I'm sure he is quite capable of staying overnight in the shelter.

He and 11 English buddies made an agreement with the French Foreign Legion to see how many of them could make it through the Legion's tough basic training in north Africa. They filmed the ordeal. None had to commit to the five years in the Legion if they made it through the training. Bear and two others made it.

Bear also flew a powered hang glider over the top of Mt. Everest.