The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 17, 2014, 03:42 PM   #1
NHSHOOTER

Barnes bullet dilemma

On impulse and because they were on sale I bought some barnes bullets for my 243. Not thinking or not knowing I wouldnt be able to find load data for them anywhere online or in my 243 caliber specific loading manual. I cant even match them bullet weight for another brand since they are 68 and 72 gr bullets, I dont really want to order a catalog for just 2 bullets I may or may not ever shoot again. Any of you have any suggestions or maybe somewhere I could look that I havent thought about?
Old April 17, 2014, 04:55 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

https://www.barnesbullets.com/information/load-data/
Old April 17, 2014, 04:56 PM   #3
steve4102

You didn't say what "Model" Barnes bullet, so I will assume your 68 is a Match Burner and your 72gr is a Varmin-a-tor.

If this is correct, both of these bullet are Standard Lead core Jacketed bullets, not the Barnes all copper bullets.

It is perfectly acceptable to use data from other Cup-N-Core bullets with your Barnes Cup-n-core bullets.

If you can't find data for the exact weight of these bullets, move up to the next heavier weight and use that data. For the 68gr that would be 70gr data and for the 72gr that would be 75gr data.

You can also call Barnes if you wish.
Old April 17, 2014, 05:59 PM   #4
NHSHOOTER

Thanks Steve, I did send a email to Barnes but havent received a response yet. You were right about the "model" bullets I have and I will do as you suggested and use load data from Sierra.
Old April 17, 2014, 07:15 PM   #5
steve4102

I would suggest you use Data from your powder manufacturers/distributors web site before using Sierra data.

Sierra is the only data source I know of that does not use pressure testing equipment to develop their manuals. They use regular firearms and read primers and the brass case just like you and I do. In other words they guess. Sierra is the last source I would use or trust.
Old April 17, 2014, 07:18 PM   #6
NHSHOOTER

Steve, I have gone over Nosler, Hornady and Sierra, comparing all 3 and starting at minimums just to be safe. But I will go to the Hodgdon sight and double check my figures..