The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old April 16, 2014, 12:27 PM   #1
sparkytx

Now I'm starting to get ticked...

Last year started shooting with my wife's 9mm. Enjoyed it so much got myself an XDS 45 for Christmas. Enjoyed that one so much got me an XDM 45 Compact a month or so ago.

Because I was enjoying shooting so much and I'm a DIYer and hobbyist, decided to get into reloading. Bought a good starter setup and started collecting brass (45 and 9). Have read one manual cover to cover (excluding all the load data explicitly) and have been buying bullets anytime I see a good sale.

I now have about 3000 rounds of 45 brass and another 3000 rounds of 9mm brass resized, deprimed, cleaned and polished. I have another 2-3000 rounds of 9mm brass still awaiting that first step.

But no powder! I've had some on order for a month now, but am being told 3+ months wait! Hate it when I get the bug BUT THEN CAN'T DO IT!!!

Thanks for listening to me vent!
Old April 16, 2014, 12:31 PM   #2
madmo44mag

I feel ya!
I reload 9mm with 5 different powders just because I can not always get my "go-too" powder.
The up side is I have a number of loadings now for 9mm and can almost always find a powder to load with.
Old April 16, 2014, 12:52 PM   #3
passtime

It's out there. I just got back into reloading but knowing the reality of availability right now I purchased the powder and primers before I purchased the press and dies. I was able to find a couple of pounds of IMR SR4756.
Old April 16, 2014, 12:53 PM   #4
Blindstitch

It's happening to the best of us. Maybe you can find it somewhere online. Of course the $28 hazmat fee sucks. And then if your shipment comes in you will have some stock.
Old April 16, 2014, 02:13 PM   #5
jtmckinney

sparkytx,

Have you tried "Eueless Guns & Ammo" up on Texas 10 and "Alpine" in Kennedale? They both had primers and at least some powders last time I was there.

If you ever make it to Dallas try "Rays Sporting Goods" on Singleton close to down town.

Hope this helps.
James
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"
Old April 16, 2014, 02:38 PM   #6
rebs

for a few months the gun shops in my area were getting powder and now for about the last month it seems to have dried up again.
Old April 16, 2014, 02:48 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

It's frustrating, but we have a running thread on all things shortage....

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521685
Closed Thread