The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 14, 2014, 12:33 PM   #1
besprague

Please help! reloading problem?

I have a new 6.5x300 wsm, Proof research barrel 28" 1in 8 twist, my smith mounted it on a Winchester long action an old 7mm belonging to my father that I wanted to use more regularly. I have tried many loads without the accuracy I've expected. Stock is piller and glass bedded and forward lug tightened to 50-55 in lbs.
I have noticed the fired cases will not let a bullet easily drop in. Most fired cases I have in other guns will allow a bullet to easily go in a fired case. I noticed a tight ring at the mouth of the cases ( cant push a bullet in)so I inside reamed the fired cases,resized and shot with same result. I then again inside reamed,turned the outside of the neck. and trimmed them way back. The seal on the necks really improved but have tight taper at the mouth still not as tight as before but still there. I have to force a bullet into the fired case.
I took a cast of my chamber I'm nowhere near to long with my brass, the neck measures .301. Loaded ammunition neck measures .294 on new brass before any reaming or outside turning. I tried win., Norma, and Nosler brass in 270wsm necked down with a 6.5 wsm Lee die.
The resized brass before loading seems to have a tight mouth edge before putting bullet in could the die be an issue? maybe barrel isn't trued properly or something but not being able to put a bullet in fired case seems like it could be telling me something.
Old April 14, 2014, 12:55 PM   #2
243winxb

Starting loads of slow burn rate power may not expand the case neck fully. The lighter the bullet for the caliber, the move likely it will happen in my 243 win. The tight ring at the mouth of the case needs to be addressed. Ask the gunsmith, if you have not already.
Old April 14, 2014, 02:06 PM   #3
Bart B.

Without measuring your dies, I think you might have fairly brittle case neck brass.

Try turning some case necks to .013" thick so loaded round necks are .290" diameter then try them.
Old April 15, 2014, 11:25 AM   #4
besprague

Thanks for help

I asked my gun smith and he was as baffled as I am. He hand turned the reamer in the chamber but saw no problems. I turned the necks on some older 3-4 times fired cases down so when the case was loaded the neck measured .289 and the neck was .013 thick. I decided to try some quicker powder (reloader 22) so I changed that parameter also but what a result. The cases release and the 3 shot group was covered easily with a dime at 100yds.
Everyone said that the neck needed as little as 3 thousandths clearance and some liked 5 around the neck. I had .007 and now have .012 that seems like a lot more but obviously works. I cant understand this very well. Will my necks split sooner? How much neck clearance is to much?
Thanks 243, and BartB.
Old April 15, 2014, 12:27 PM   #5
243winxb

Quote:
He hand turned the reamer in the chamber
When, while doing there orginal job or on the 2nd visit when you went with the problem.?Hand turning a reamer will remove metal. Tight neck clearance is a minimum of .003" or .0015" each side. Normal factory neck chamber are about .008"
Old April 15, 2014, 12:53 PM   #6
besprague

He told me he inserted the reamer what he did exactly I'm not sure. he thought their might have been a burr or something. He said after inspecting he saw no problems.
The reloader 22 that I tested was fairly hot, I didn't exactly work up the load but did some (guesstomation) I believed the load and expansion of neck is related to your earlier comment. I had tried Rl-25, retumbo, and even RL-33, with the thicker neck and all had tight mouths.
I've since tried the reloader 22 and untrimmed cases and still have tight mouth cases, so Bart's neck size point must have been mostly the issue. But no question the RL-22 is looking very good. I want to chrony this load.
Thank you guys so much, I had probably shot 150 rounds trying to get this gun to shoot and was about to cry.