The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 10, 2014, 03:00 PM   #1
BuckRub

Tumbling with Mineral Spirits

When tumbling would using paint thinner in media work same as mineral spirits when used in media ?
Old April 10, 2014, 03:33 PM   #2
Bart B.

I wouldn't use either in a tumbler.

What's your objectives in using either?
Old April 10, 2014, 03:54 PM   #3
TATER

I have always used just the odorless spirits .. I use a spray bottle.

Bart, it will rejuvenate the media.. .Run the tumbler for a few minuits before the brass goes in.. give it a try.
Old April 10, 2014, 03:56 PM   #4
kerreckt

I believe mineral spirits and paint thinner are the same. I use a a couple of teaspoonfuls in my media because it makes it last longer. It also keeps down the dust. YMMV.
Old April 10, 2014, 04:41 PM   #5
45_auto

A dose of oderless mineral spirits and a shot of Nufinish car polish in the media makes brass look better than new when it comes out of the tumbler.
Old April 10, 2014, 05:10 PM   #6
Bart B.

Tater, how do you know it will rejuvenate my media? What kind of media do I use?

As I don't enter my brass cases in beauty contests, I don't care what they look like. They only need to be clean.

Nor do I want any chemical residue in cases interfering with powder's burn characteristics.
Old April 10, 2014, 05:17 PM   #7
BuckRub

Bart, I've always heard same as in post 5. But I guess you're right. I always have tumbled in walnut or corncob and sometimes use alittle Flitz Media Additive. I like shiny but always tumble for really making things clean. I do all I can to take care of my dies.
Thanks for your replies.
Old April 10, 2014, 05:20 PM   #8
MEATSAW

Just don't use too much. You only need at a max a shot glass full. Half that is good to go.
Old April 10, 2014, 06:10 PM   #9
mikld

Quote:
Tater, how do you know it will rejuvenate my media? What kind of media do I use?

As I don't enter my brass cases in beauty contests, I don't care what they look like. They only need to be clean.

Nor do I want any chemical residue in cases interfering with powder's burn characteristics.
! ! !: !

Most of the time I use corn cob blast media nekkid... (not me, the media)
Old April 10, 2014, 06:55 PM   #10
Clark

I put 100 rounds of rifle brass, stainless steel media, warm water, a tablespoon of Dawn detergent, and a teaspoon of Leminshine in my tumbler and the brass comes out like new in 2 hours.

I don't see any reason for using chemicals any stronger than baby bath water.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old April 10, 2014, 08:32 PM   #11
SVO

I would be concerned about the tumbler's motor igniting the thinner vapors.
Old April 10, 2014, 08:32 PM   #12
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Basically, either one would work. Depending on the size/type of your tumbler and amount/type of media used, just a couple of tablespoons will be more than enough.

I use a vibratory tumbler. Mineral spirits (or paint thinner in your case) goes in my walnut media. I crank up the tumbler with no cases and dribble it in. About 30 min later, I add my cases.

After that, I prep my corn media the same way with NuFinish. A cap full in a fresh batch, 1/2 cap full at most on subsequent batches.

Never have my reloads been affected adversely using this process. The key is to be judicious with the amount used.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old April 11, 2014, 04:49 AM   #13
hooligan1

I also use mineral spirits and Nu-Finish in my tumbler, where I mix a 40% walnut and 60% corn cobb.

The mineral spirits doesnt effect brass, and the carwax will clean and shine brass to a like new appearance. Its real effective on range brass, and I love to bring home free brass and shine it up!
Old April 11, 2014, 09:07 AM   #14
TATER

Bart, I responded without think'en.
Old April 11, 2014, 09:40 AM   #15
schmellba99

I used to use mineral spirits when I vibratory tumbled. I never bought in that it "rejuvinates" media in any way - the purpose of the mineral spirits was to help remove dirt, carbon and any other type of fouling from the brass. You don't need much.

If you are worried about the motor igniting the vapors, keep in mind that you'd have to have an almost perfect storm of things happening to get the correct mix of atmosphere to have that happen. I've never heard of it happening, and there are thousands of reloaders that do this on a daily basis. I actually keep my tumblers in large Rubbermaid containers to keep the dust at bay and it's never been an issue.

A shot of NuFinish was great to get a good polish and leave a very light coat of wax on the brass - helped to keep it from tarnishing, made it a touch slippery and kept media, dirt, etc. from sticking to it as well.
Old April 11, 2014, 10:09 AM   #16
totaldla

A couple tablespoons of denatured alcohol works great and evaporates nicely. Doesn't leave a film.
Old April 11, 2014, 05:23 PM   #17
cdoc42

Hooligan you said:" I also use mineral spirits and Nu-Finish in my tumbler, where I mix a 40% walnut and 60% corn cobb.

The mineral spirits doesnt effect brass, and the carwax will clean and shine brass to a like new appearance. Its real effective on range brass, and I love to bring home free brass and shine it up!"

I'm missing something; the mineral spirits will dissolve the Nu-Finish wax..unless the proportions are such that you have more Nufinish in there than Mineral spirits....????
Old April 13, 2014, 11:30 PM   #18
bbqncigars

I use a tablespoon of odorless mineral spirits in untreated walnut to remove lube from finished rounds. Never a problem and my guns get sparkling 'factory fresh' ammo.
Old April 15, 2014, 10:03 AM   #19
sig2009

I always use mineral spirits and Nu Finish. Never a problem.