The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 31, 2013, 11:42 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

I think we going to sell our 11-48 collection

I would assume there is a collector market for these, but don't know for sure if these are collectable at all ???

I assumed that certain bores are rarer than others... these were collected by my FIL, & we've never fired them, I think all are in reasonably good shape... have a .410 with an extended, extended mag, & a scope mount, this is just how my FIL bought it, a 28 ga, 20 ga, 16 ga, & a 12 ga with a scope... I think all are vent rib, & pretty long barrels

any prizes here ???

I was thinking $1,500.00 as the whole group, or more for the .410 & 16 ga, if I split them up ( gun Broker seems to have a lot of 28 ga... I assumed the 28 would also be rare, but a quick Gun Broker check showed 12 of them for sale )

am I in the ball park on prices ???

thoughts or suggestions ???
Old July 31, 2013, 01:12 PM   #2
BigJimP

The 11-48's were produced from around 1950 thru the late 1960's or so....and unless someone has modified them, they are all "fixed choke" guns....some may be Modified, some Full, etc....

to some extent, how they are choked and how long the barrels are ...( most of them were probably made in 28" barrels ...maybe 26" .../ but 28" barrels were common as I remember )....

extended mag and a scope mount ...may be good or bad ...depends on the buyer...

Value.... $ 150 - $ 300 apiece is probably about average in my area. They can still be used ( depends on the chamber length in the guns as well as the choke for each ) ...as good starter guns, or extra guns for the family, etc.....but "collectable" no, not really, in my opinion.
Old July 31, 2013, 03:47 PM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

OK, thanks for the info... if there are no old geezers collecting these, maybe I'll just put them on the table at the one gun show I sell at... maybe spray them down, & shoot each, to see which are the nicest, & keep one or two...

maybe pull off the goofy extended, extended mag off the .410 & keep that one, & maybe the 20 ga if all are equal as far as function & wear... I have plenty of 12 ga shotguns, otherwise I'd just keep the common bores

also have a couple old Mossy 500's with long barrels, one in .410 & one in 20 ga that I planned on keeping... if the .410 & 20 are good keepable shotguns ( in the 11-48's ) maybe I'll part with those Mossy's instead... any idea if the Mossy's are more collectable ( worth more ??? )
Old July 31, 2013, 04:19 PM   #4
BigJimP

value is in the eyes of the buyer....but it depends what you want the guns for ....either the 11-48's or the Mossbergs...

fixed - open choke guns ( cyclinder choke) are common in some of the mossbergs, etc configured for defense....

Fixed - Full Choke guns ...are of little to no use for clay targets or for most hunters...
------------
It depends on how each gun is specifically configured - chamber length, choke, barrel length, length of pull etc....and all of it affects value. A lot of these old guns were "cut down" to fit kids, etc...and that might make them worth next to nothing....but its not an easy answer without having photos and full specs on each gun...???
-----------
As an example: ...
a. I have no use for a defensive shotgun...(no interest, don't want one, don't need one....).........but that's me/some guys love em, I hate em. If that's what your mossbergs are...they have value.../ if they're field grade guns with changeable screw in chokes they have more value..

b. Fixed choke guns - unless one of them is a Modified / or maybe IC or Skeet...its of little interest to me for hunting, clays, etc.....and its not something I would even buy as an extra gun for some of my young grandkids...because changeable screw in chokes makes the guns more flexible. I can buy a new Browning BPS pump gun for $ 600 with changeable screw in chokes...and that would be more versatile ...as an extra gun ...and I can buy that gun in 12ga, 20ga, 28ga or .410 ...( or 16 ga ??)...

c. 16ga ...isn't much use these days, in my opinion. Typically the 16ga was a 1oz shell....when I was a kid, in the 50's and 60's ( before we had screw in changeable chokes ) and before we could get a lot of different shells....the 16ga had its place. Today 1 oz shells are common in 12ga or in a 20ga...so the 16ga gets squeezed out. 16ga shells are expensive ...about $ 16 for a box of 25 in my area.../ so why will someone buy a 16ga ??? I have a 16ga ...had it for 50 yrs ....but I haven't shot it, in at least 30yrs.... I reload shotshells....so its easy for me to load 1oz, 7/8 oz or even 3/4 oz of shot in a 12ga shell....or a 20ga shell.../ so I'd never fool around with a 16ga.../ todays variety of shells available in 12ga and 20ga have made the 16ga almost obsolete. Some 16ga's are made on a smaller frame than a 12ga ....and some of them have value / but its usually the O/U's that guys want ...not semi-autos or pump guns in a 16 ga.

d. 28ga is a great gague / good learning gague for a young kid ...patterns great ....but no screw in chokes, means it isn't versatile / but depending on how its choked and what size chamber it has / it might sell very quickly for $ 400 - $500...if someone wants a semi-auto 28ga. But you can buy that Browing BPS pump for about $ 600 new in box....so the gun you have in 28ga still has limited value ..probably....( barrel length, chamber size, choke, etc...will affect its value big time...)...

e. .410 ...is an "experts" gague .....I like to shoot it for Skeet ...but its a terrible gun to teach a youngster to shoot with, in my opinion .... / the 28ga is much better for a new shooter. If the .410 is choked as "Skeet, or IC ...or maybe Mod - then its a little more versatile..../ but shells for the
.410 and 28ga are also expensive... The only .410 I shoot is a Browning O/U with 30" barrels .../ too many .410's are real light, short and whippy...and reloads, unless you're really careful - don't feed too well in semi-autos or pumps for that matter..../ so the .410 needs a niche buyer...

I think the way I look at some of these guns - is typical for older shooters that have a lot of guns...most of us have a safe full of shotguns / we might buy something just for the heck of it ...for a few hundred bucks.../but at some point, it has to fit some need...a birthday present, a training gun, a kick around travel gun... or something....

-----------------
If you have full specs and photos on these guns....( and make sure you include chamber sizes and chokes ) as well as overall length and length of pull....and some of us can tighten up our value appraisals..../ other guys will chime in, once they know what you have...( 180 guys read the thread ...but nobody else said anything...)...

Last edited by BigJimP; July 31, 2013 at 04:32 PM.