The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 29, 2011, 08:26 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Bought this antique car... finally found my way back to the loading bench

almost have the bugs out of my ( new to me ) 38 Nash... so I finally found my way back to the bench...

last night did up some ball loads for my 444 handload / shot Contender pistol... using a Winchester AA wad, I was able to stuff 4 - .375 lead balls into the 444 case along with a little Hodgdon Lil Gun powder... shot one to test... pleasent to shoot, went through both sides of a steel barrel ( would hate to get hit with that load... not much spread at 20 ft... only put about a 1.5" hole in the front side & about a 3" hole on the 2nd layer, back 4" ) I actually shot a barrel cover leaning up against a barrel... loaded up all the balls I had with 2 different charges... also did up a few more #5 shot loads switched from crimping the overshot card, to crimping an 1/8" nitro card & 285 grains of lead shot... those appear to be quite durable in the pocket, without ny glue needed... I just need to make sure my pattern looks as good as my last load...

also sorted through my 38 special brass for my new to me "vintage" Rossi engraved saddle ring carbine I bought used, to use for Cowboy action... I tried some factory 150 grain round nose Winchester white box in the gun, & found they shot a tight group at the right distance... so I just bought some 147 grain cast flat points... hoping I can come up with a load that works as well as those 1st WWB cartridges

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=740899

anyone tried these on here ??? BTW... also bought a Lee factory crimp die to help em stick in the brass a bit better... any suggestions for powder or loads ??? want the cartridge to be well above the power factor, but still competitive... I've got most common powders... could try a case full of Trailboss or maybe Unique for a little smoke ???

here's the rifle... maybe a bit too nice for cowboy, but I paid less than for a new plain one, this is early & has no safety, & cycles & feeds better than the new ones I've seen lately... plus has a 20" barrel so it holds at least 10 rounds... seems all the newer saddle ring carbines are 18" o shorter & don't hold 10 rounds ???

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; June 29, 2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old June 29, 2011, 09:45 AM   #2
Doodlebugger45

I suppose we will excuse your absence... this time.

It's always very interesting to hear your latest adventures and projects. They are far more interesting than what most of us do.

Super nice rifle!!!
Old June 29, 2011, 09:54 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

Thanks... the car is really cool ( Mrs. Magnum said I had to find another hobby I was buying too many guns )

been wanting to try cowboy shooting... ( I play around at home, but would be cool to try competing )

got a pair of Montados in 45 Colt, this new to me lever in 38 / 357 ( only thing I don't like about the gun, is feeding the rounds, the 38 gate is too small for me to easily get a round inserted... don't know how I'll wrk that if there are stages that I have to do a reload ( was reading about state championship stages last year, & I think they had some that you started with 8 rounds in the gun, but had to top off 2 rounds )

also have an old chopped coach double...

I think I'll buy reduced recoil loads for the shottie, but need to finalize what I want to use in my revolvers, as well as I'll be starting from scratch on the 38... I could load 357's, but already have 800-900 older brass 38 special cases that don't get used for anything...
Old June 29, 2011, 10:31 AM   #4
Doodlebugger45

I don't know anything about Rossis, but I hear you when it comes to feeding in new cartridges through the loading gate when there's already cartridges in the magazine tube. I have the same problem in my Win 94 30-30 to some extent and it's really tough on my Marlin 45-70. I cut my thumb pretty deep one time on the Marlin when I was pushing to get the shell into the magazine. You might be able to do a little bit of machining on the loading gate to make it easier to push shells in.
Old June 29, 2011, 05:08 PM   #5
Macantic

38 nash

Being a car guy myself and a mechanic I would love to see some pics of the car. If you post some be sure to PM me to let me know please.
Old June 30, 2011, 06:38 AM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

welll..... I don't have any pics of the car with a gun ( not sure how the mods feel about posting non gun pics ) but the car is really gangster looking being a trunk back suicide door sedan... been thinking about getting a tommy gun air soft as a back seat accessory

so I ordered 200 more .375 round balls ( 36 caliber black powder pistol balls ), yesterday, as well as 500 lead flat point bullets... & a factory crimp die fr the 38 special... that stuff should be here by Friday... so I might find some time to handload some 38 special carbine loads...

heres a thread on that 444 shot pistol...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433825

& a pic of my other distraction... it had 36,000 original miles on it when I bought it, got stuck into a barn in N. Dakota in the 1950's... it's never seen road salt... my 1st collector car

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38 nash June 10th.JPG (99.0 KB, 228 views)

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; June 30, 2011 at 06:47 AM.