The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Closed Thread

Old July 10, 2009, 09:23 AM   #1

Burris Scopes...any respect?

Just wondering about people's opinion. It would seem that Leupold, Bushnell, And Nikon all get their due but, Burris not so much. I really took a look at Burris after my good friend got one. I know he's the type to do his homework as he is an extremely anal retentive die maker by trade. Long story short, I bought a Burris Signature Select 3-10x40mm with a ballistic plex. I'll tell you the reasons for my decision later in the thread. Just throwing it out there....and begin.
Old July 10, 2009, 09:40 AM   #2
publius

I have several Leupolds, a Nikon, and a Burris. The Burris is, in my opinion, every bit as good as a VXII Leupold or Nikon.
Old July 10, 2009, 09:50 AM   #3
bclark1

I have Publius' exact same spread and I agree. Don't let the smaller price tag fool you - Burris makes great optics.
Old July 10, 2009, 10:49 AM   #4
sholling

I like their Signature Select and XTR series scopes. What bothers some people is that its ocular rotates when you zoom the scope. If you're addicted to flip up covers that's a problem.

Burris XTR 1-4x24 Tactical on my MK68 Recon.

Burris Signature Select 3-10x40 on one of my Tikka T3 Lites.
Old July 11, 2009, 12:53 AM   #5
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
I looked at both a Burris and a Leupold for my Rem M1903 and picked the Burris glass over the Leupold. Cash was not an issue on either. Still happy with my choice.
Old July 11, 2009, 01:19 AM   #6
riggins_83

Quote:
What bothers some people is that its ocular rotates when you zoom the scope. If you're addicted to flip up covers that's a problem.
I agree.... that's the reason I only used their 2-7x35 on my varmint rifle where it will never be taken off 3x. If it wasn't for that I'd probably have more Burris scopes.

This is a Burris XTS-135 Red Dot and a Burris FullField II 2-7x35. Had a FullField II 3-9x40 on a 30-06, held zero very well. I think they're a very good value but I'm not a fan of the rotating ocular for zoom.
Old July 11, 2009, 09:07 AM   #7
Inspector3711

I have a Fullfield 2 and like it about as well as my Leupold VXIII as far as optical quality goes.
Old July 11, 2009, 12:11 PM   #8
Scorch

US-made Burris scopes are excellent, foreign-made Burris scopes are a mixed lot. If it is a foreign-made Burris, Japanese is best, China and Phillipines are only so-so.
Old July 11, 2009, 02:56 PM   #9
oldcspsarge

When the oldest gunmaker in the world sought to buy the best scope company in the US...they sent a team of engineers and looked at everything.

Their lenses transmit light better than Leupold and their lifetime warranty and service is first rate.

That's why BURRIS is now OWNED by BERETTA !

They are a first class company with fine products and service based on my sales of them since 1991 .
Old July 11, 2009, 07:39 PM   #10
skydiver3346

Burris scopes:

I like the older mode Burris scopes. Great light gathering glass and very clear and durable. Signature models were super. Really don't care for the brand new versions myself. You can still get pretty good deals for the older model Burris scopes on Ebay and Gunbroker. I still have a couple and they work great.
Old July 12, 2009, 07:08 PM   #11
ForneyRider

Burris is best bang for buck.

I have FFII in 3-9x40 and 4.5-14x42 scopes for my 7mm Mag and AR-15. I got the 3-9 with the binocs deal, and the 4.5-14 with the spotting scope deal.

I put the quick release Burris rings on so I can use the iron sights as well. I wouldn't try shooting a cigarette out of someone's mouth, but they are somewhat repeatable.

My brother picked up a 4.5-14 after having issues with several Cabela's scopes in same price range. He loves his.

Having power ring and aperture adjustment on the tube makes the flip-up scope covers a PITA. But I still bought them and used them. The Black Diamond has side focus and power ring.

I think the Nikon is comparable, but I like the Burris reticles better.

The Burris Ballistic Plex, similar to Zeiss and Swarovski hunting reticles, is great for hunting.

I don't get into the tacky "White Out" lettering of the Burris and Pentax. The Pentax has a Ballistic Plex offering whereas the Burris is only fine plex and mil-dot.

Black Diamond fine plex 8-32x is on the wish list for target shooting. It's comparable to the Nightforce BR, Zeiss Conquest and Leupold Mk IV. Bushell 6500 series only has 1/4 MOA adjustments, but is similar in price to the Black Diamond. One complaint is the range of adjustment is not as wide as more expensive models, but remedied with a 20 or 30 MOA mount.
Old July 12, 2009, 07:21 PM   #12
ForneyRider

dupe.

Last edited by ForneyRider; July 12, 2009 at 07:22 PM. Reason: dupe.
Old July 13, 2009, 11:13 AM   #13

The reasons

I said that I would give my reasons for going with the Burris and I'm a man of my words. First, the only thing I didn't like was the variable power adjustment that make it nearly impossible to use flip cap lens covers. What I do like is the price compared to Leupold, Nikon, and Bushnell. I like the glass, the quad seal design, and the ballistic plex. But, most of all, I like that it's made in the good old USA. It is sad that to compete, they had to start producing the Fullfield models over seas.
Old July 13, 2009, 08:29 PM   #14
oneounceload

I have an older Burris 6X fixed power compact scope. I prefer the fixed powers, less to go wrong.....hard to find 6 and 8x fixed powers anymore
Old July 14, 2009, 09:03 AM   #15
WagonM

I have a Burris FF II 2-7x 35mm, I was in a shop comparing FF II 3-9x with equivalent from Leupold and Nikon. It is just as good for less $$$, I like the B.Plex better and I wish it does not rotate when zoom.

Came across someone selling a "never-used" 2-7x Camo for just $140, went with it and I can't be happier.
Old July 16, 2009, 08:03 PM   #16
big26john

Burris, Nikon and Leupold are similar in quality (for the price you pay). For example a Nikon Prostaff is comparable to a Leupold VX1 they actually have the same glass (Leupold doesn't make their own glass). All three have a good reputation for standing behind their products. All three are durable. If your scope is clear and crisp (every scopemaker has an occasional lemon), and you like the reticle then you made a good buy!
As long as your happy with it don't worry about everyone else's opinion (unless they show you a scope that is far superior and you see it with your own eyes).

Anyway don't second guess yourself, you have a nice scope!
Old July 17, 2009, 02:46 PM   #17
davebig

Im using a Burris 3.5-10x50mm Fullfield and it added at least 10 minutes to my dawn and dusk shooting. Great low light scope
Old July 22, 2009, 08:43 PM   #18
kiwi56

Burris Scopes

I have a Burris Fullfield 11 6.5-20 X 50 and it is superior to my Leupold vx11 6-18x40
The target image is brighter which you would expect but also in the Burris 224 bullet holes are visible at two hundred and fifty yards, my Leupold can't even see them at two hundred. My shooting partner used to only use two brands of scope Swarovsky and Leupold but after comparing my scope to his leupolds his latest varmint rifle now wears a Burris identical to mine.
Old July 23, 2009, 10:10 PM   #19
Sevens

My good buddy has Burris scopes on two of his rifles and I like them a lot.

I don't have any rifles... well, any worthy rifles... But I -REALLY- want the Burris 12x handgun scope for my 14" .223 Contender, but I can't get past the price.

Does anyone know of another maker of a handgun scope that does long eye relief and 12x, or more?

I want to shoot half inch groups at 100 yards but at 6x, I just don't have the magnification I want.
Old July 26, 2009, 03:14 PM   #20
ForneyRider

I had a Burris 4x on my Ruger BlackHawk for a while. The B-square mount couldn't stay put so I took it off. I picked up the Burris for 180$ with rings used at a gun show.

Leupold, Nikon, Simmons and a few others make pistol scopes. I like the 20in of eye relief of my Burris.
Old November 20, 2013, 12:53 AM   #21
COYOTE165

Burris hand gun scope

i have an older Model 7x IER Handgun scope mounted on my T/C super 14 gun. I am looking to put a sun shade on the end of this scope put cannot find a part number for it.
Old November 20, 2013, 08:38 AM   #22
skoro

My Mini-14 is topped with a Burris Timberline 2-7x28 scope that is very compact and works perfectly with that rifle.
Old November 20, 2013, 08:57 AM   #23
eldermike

I have a bunch of Leupold on rifles (I love them all) and two burris scopes on pistols. One is an older burris fixed power (4x) and I don't like it. It's to fussy on eye relief for my old eyes. The other is one of the newer Burris pistol scopes (2x7x) and it's on a TC contender and I could not imagine a better setup.
Old November 20, 2013, 09:05 AM   #24
MarkCO

Burris makes excellent optics. Their MTAC line is one of my favorites and the "new" line for 2014 promises to be even better.
Old November 20, 2013, 11:51 AM   #25
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

4+ Year old thread bumped for complaint.
Closed Thread