The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 16, 2013, 12:36 AM   #1
FLChinook

Which is the best clip loader?

I've never had a clip loader but I've often seen shooters at the range using them. My wife is struggling a bit loading her new Sig 2022 9mm clip and I'd like to get her a good one to use. I've picked up several but can't tell without actual use which might be the better design.

Since we can't be talking about a lot of money here we can let price be no object...
Old April 16, 2013, 12:42 AM   #2
BarryLee

I like the UPLULA.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old April 16, 2013, 01:02 AM   #3
FLChinook

That's good enough for me. Just ordered one. Thanks!!
Old April 16, 2013, 01:27 AM   #4
Death from Afar

In the most respectful way, do not use the phrase "clip". It is a magazine. :>)
Old April 16, 2013, 01:28 AM   #5
Theohazard

Just a heads up: your wife's SIG doesn't have a clip, it has a magazine. There are almost no guns these days that use clips.

I hate to sound like a firearm elitist, but when I see people confuse "clip" and "magazine" I see it as a symptom of our country's general ignorance about guns. And ignorance about guns is what gives us ridiculous laws like the "assault weapons" ban.

And on topic: The UpLULA is a pretty good product. It makes loading a magazine a lot easier, especially when you get to the last few rounds of a double-stack mag.
Old April 16, 2013, 06:42 AM   #6
chuckles

the only "problem" with the UPLULA is it enables you to burn through ammo at a faster rate. I have LULA loaders for almost every magazine fed firearm I own.
Old April 16, 2013, 07:34 AM   #7
CurlyQ.Howard

Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoSNHe413rY
Old April 16, 2013, 09:37 AM   #8
FLChinook

Oh my goodness. I use "magazine" 9,999 out of 10,000 times but had a relapse late last night. Clip does have fewer letters to type...

Sixty years ago when I started shooting with a little .22, I recall it had a "clip". Is it OK to say clip wrt a .22?
Old April 16, 2013, 09:52 AM   #9
Theohazard

Quote:
Is it OK to say clip wrt a .22?
A "clip" and a "magazine" are different things. A clip is a strip of metal that holds rounds by the case rim for loading into a magazine. Guns that require clips have fixed, internal magazines. They can also be used to load regular detachable magazines: military 5.56 ammo comes on stripper clips to make loading M4/M16 magazines faster and easier.

Old April 16, 2013, 09:57 AM   #10
Gaerek

This is a clip:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sourc...66210175251821

It holds ammo to be loaded into a magazine.

This is a magazine:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-loGZKC-QlF...n30-shot-5.jpg

It is what ammo is loaded into, and what the firearm uses chamber additional rounds. A magazine doesn't have to be detachable. An M1 Garand is a popular example of a rifle that uses clips to load it's integral magazine:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rand-Rifle.jpg

If the device on your .22 looked like the first image, it's a clip. If it actually holds the ammo, and is what the gun uses to chamber a round, it's a magazine.

Sorry for the lesson...it's a pet peeve of mine. It may just be semantics, but there is a complete functional difference between a clip and a magazine.
Old April 16, 2013, 10:03 AM   #11
Theohazard

Quote:
Clip does have fewer letters to type...
Not if you're lazy like me and use "mag" a lot of the time.
Old April 16, 2013, 10:13 AM   #12
TailGator

Clip is a term that has been misused so much that most people understand both meanings now. I'm not saying that is a good thing, mind you. Using the correct term will endear you to gun people.

Uplula? Heck, yes. I wish I could get a commission for all of the people who have bought one after trying mine out.
Old April 16, 2013, 10:15 AM   #13
FLChinook

Wow.. who says an old dog can't learn something new. Now, if I can just remember the difference between boats and ships... and rifles and guns...

Quote:
Not if you're lazy like me and use "mag" a lot of the time.
I thought a mag was what I get each month in the mail from the NRA...
Old April 16, 2013, 10:31 AM   #14
Technosavant

I'll leave the semantic debate alone.

But I will chime in that the UpLula is truly great for loading those double stack thingys. Definitely saves the thumb some trouble and even speeds up the process. I've not felt the need to use mine on a single stack 1911 magazine, but when you're filling up a 15 or 17 round mag, yeah, they're worth it.
Old April 16, 2013, 10:33 AM   #15
campbed

I strongly prefer the HKS speedloaders, video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mt2L8ysoZ0

$16, and you can load without resting on a bench/table.

I gave my UPLULA to my brother. It works fine (as long as you have a table/bench to rest on), the HKS is just easier to use and more versatile (and half the price).
Old April 16, 2013, 10:56 AM   #16
Gaerek

Quote:
I'll leave the semantic debate alone.
There's no debate. This isn't a matter of opinion, it's a matter of what each word actually means. It'd be like calling all round fruit an apple, even though the fruit your talking about is a cross between red and yellow in color, has a thick skin, and the meat has little capsules of sweet juice. There's no debate there either, it's an orange.

Quote:
It works fine (as long as you have a table/bench to rest on), the HKS is just easier to use and more versatile (and half the price).
I'm actually in agreement here. The UPLULA is tough to use without something to rest it on, and it's no fun using your knee. The HKS, although I find it a bit slower, is easier to use and more versatile. Having said that, I personally don't use them. My wife uses them for the same reason the OP wants them. I find it faster and easier for the most part to load by hand.
Old April 16, 2013, 11:08 AM   #17
LewSchiller

It's not unlike people who use wench when they mean winch.
Two different things
Old April 16, 2013, 11:15 AM   #18
KMAX

I have an ADCO Super Thumb that works for me. They have six sizes. I think she would need the ST1. I think I paid about $11 from Midway. I don't remember what the LGS was asking, but not much more.

As for "clip", I have learned to only try to correct someone if I really think it will make a difference. If someone says "Whatever" I usually give up on them unless I feel like ridculing them for some fun.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old April 16, 2013, 11:26 AM   #19
Gaerek

Quote:
As for "clip", I have learned to only try to correct someone if I really think it will make a difference. If someone says "Whatever" I usually give up on them unless I feel like ridculing them for some fun.
My father in law call them clips. I corrected him once, and gave me the, "I'm not stupid, I'll call it what I want look" and haven't corrected him since. Not worth it, even though it annoys the you know what out of me.
Old April 16, 2013, 11:53 AM   #20
campbed

Quote:
My father in law call them clips. I corrected him once, and gave me the, "I'm not stupid, I'll call it what I want look" and haven't corrected him since. Not worth it, even though it annoys the you know what out of me.
I think you meant to say calls. I couldn't resist glass windows and all, and I'm an arse.
Old April 16, 2013, 11:57 AM   #21
David White

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLChinook View Post
I've never had a clip loader but I've often seen shooters at the range using them. My wife is struggling a bit loading her new Sig 2022 9mm clip and I'd like to get her a good one to use. I've picked up several but can't tell without actual use which might be the better design.

Since we can't be talking about a lot of money here we can let price be no object...
Old April 16, 2013, 12:33 PM   #22
BoogieMan

A bit of a hiccup on the clip issue.
http://www.mcfaden.com/cliploader.html
It is kind of a clip used to load .22 mags. Almost all the old school guys I know say clip when they mean mag. I think it comes from the Garand days.

@the OP. I use the mcfaden for my 22/45 mags and the uplula (umpa lumpa) for all my other mags. Relatively quick and easy on the fingers.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old April 16, 2013, 12:56 PM   #23
Gaerek

Quote:
I couldn't resist glass windows and all, and I'm an arse.
That's true.

But intentionally using a name for something that isn't correct, and light striking the 's' key are two completely different things.

And if you are wondering, I'm just playing...
Old April 16, 2013, 06:25 PM   #24
ShootingNut

Getting back to the OP,
I have both HKS and Uplula.
One nice thing with the Uplula is it is universal, works for both
single and double stack mags.
You and the little lady will be happy with it.
Old April 16, 2013, 07:05 PM   #25
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryLee View Post
I like the UPLULA.
That's what I use. It loads 380, 40, 45, 9. I don't remember if it works on my Coonan 1911 357.