The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 19, 2006, 11:00 AM   #1
ZeroJunk

Remote Hunt?

Sounds like BS but I just had a guy tell me that there is a website that you can pay to shoot a deer by remote control.The rifles are mounted and you move them with your mouse and click when you want to fire.The place will send you your mounted deer.Is that crazy or what?
Old October 19, 2006, 11:06 AM   #2
FrontSight

it's real, and very sad
Old October 19, 2006, 11:27 AM   #3
Ian2005

I know it at least was real, but it can't be in Texas at least as there are rules saying "remote conrolled" hunts are not allowed.

Here's another link to posts about it. I don't know if its legal or not currently.

Ahh.. Found the answer:

Restricted Methods
1. It is unlawful for any person, while hunting or engaging in recreational shooting, to knowingly discharge a firearm in such a fashion as to cause a projectile to cross a property line, unless the person owns the property on both sides of the property line or has obtained written permission from the owner of any land crossed by the projectile.
2. Remote-controlled Hunting: A person may not engage in computer-assisted remote hunting of any animal or bird or provide or operate facilities for computer-assisted remote hunting if the animal or bird being hunted is located in Texas.
Old October 19, 2006, 11:34 AM   #4
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Yup. This was discussed here about a year ago. Here is a link to a 2004 article by MSNBC with video of the system, and an interview with Lockwood, but their link to the actual site, live-shot.com, is dead.

Either Lockwood thought better of it, or the State shut him down.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old October 20, 2006, 12:43 PM   #5
Venison_Jerkey32

What is the legal status of attaching a motor to the trigger, in the NFA section they say that a "shoestring" can be a machinegun, or anything else that allows you to fire a gun without pulling the trigger. Is this only true when the rifle fires more than once, as in a machinegun?