Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 16, 2010, 01:02 AM   #26
Webleymkv

Al, my thoughts exactly.
Old March 16, 2010, 01:16 AM   #27
Doc Intrepid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipitas
"This also tells me that something transpired in that time frame (between the student and the professor? possibly) that we know nothing about. It could be a culmination of many "little things" that set off the professor. However, the letter to the FBI indicates that something else is going on here, and it doesn't necessarily have to do with the student...."
It would certainly seem from the professor's own hand (to the FBI) that one issue which he found particularly provocative was the fact that the student presented the professor with information from the professor's past that was negative to some extent. Certainly the professor appeared to be taken aback that the student (a) possessed the information; and (b) brought it up with the professor during office hours.

Whether he thought it was threatening, or merely embarrassing, it was clearly information that the professor thought was either sealed or otherwise not available to the public - which led to the accusation that the student had access to LEO files (in this case federal LEO files).

Whether he did or didn't is unclear - however, for anyone who has enough time to search, an appalling amount of private information is available through various means on the internet - and nothing that happens in the LEO field is ever truly inaccessible. The student could have acquired the information in any number of different ways.

It would seem, to me at least, that being presented with this information was a act that tipped the professor over the edge from "being annoyed" to "being alarmed". Alternately, it was certainly one particular action that escalated the disagreement.

FWIW...

(IMHO the professor was still way out of line, regardless. No amount of concern for one's students excuses having an emotional meltdown in the middle of an undergraduate economics class. There are simply too many other options that the professor could have chosen to take that would have produced a far more effective and less melodramatic outcome.)
Old March 16, 2010, 10:24 AM   #28
Glenn E. Meyer

BTW, I don't think a professor can grant permission to bring a gun to class if PSA is like other schools. Most codes allow firearms for some educational purpose but permission is from some higher up than the professor.

The president, a VP or Director of the security service - or the like.

I guess we will have to wait for the sex tape?