The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old March 10, 2010, 07:13 PM   #1
zeezee

2010 census

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all… The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic… There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else. Teddy Roosevelt

Answer only two questions, the first being; How many people live in this house and the second, line 9.

You are an American or you are not. If you are, identify yourself on line 9 of the census as; Some other race - Print race. Let it read AMERICAN!!!!
Old March 10, 2010, 07:22 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

And then we have one group who hyphenates with a continent instead of a country of ancestral origin and another group who uses an entire language (not a country, continent or anything tangible) in their hyphenation.
I will not list either here but if you want to know, PM and we can discuss it.

I agree with the OP but this is gonna be "political" I am afraid, in short order...
Brent
Old March 10, 2010, 07:40 PM   #3
n7qvu

I found it interesting that the census computers can add 1 plus 1 and hopefully get 2, but they cannot take my birthday and figure out how old that I'll be on April 01, 2010..Else why would they also ask my age???
JWsGUNs.com FFL-07, NFA SOT-C2.
Old March 10, 2010, 08:29 PM   #4
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Brent, it won't turn political, because it started as politics.

Closed.
Closed Thread