The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 6, 2007, 03:17 PM   #1
VA9mm

Anyone like TOPS knives?

Just ordered the Marine Patrol Bowie. I was just wondering if anyone owned a TOPS and what they thought of their products? I will order one of their folders in the future. But, I'll carry the folder I have for now.

O/A Length:1 3.25"
Blade: 7 3/8 x 3/16"
Blade Color: Black
Steel: 1095 High Carbon Alloy RC 56-58
Serrations: 1 7/8" Full Tang
Handle: Canvas Micarta®
Sheath: Ballistic Nylon

Last edited by VA9mm; October 6, 2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old October 6, 2007, 05:14 PM   #2
50 shooter

They make some really nice knives.

Here's my story about buying one. My job takes me to Yuma AZ, while waiting around to return home I was walking around "Old Town" Yuma. Walked into a kinda junk store to see what they had, saw a knife that looked interesting.

The person working there handed it to me and I flipped it over to see who made it. It said TOPS, had the company logo blah blah blah. I looked at the price and it was $30 BUCKS! I figured some Marine was out of cash and sold it to them for a few bucks. So knowing that I wanted this knife I whipped out $30 and was on my way.

When I got back home I jumped on their site to see which model it was and the price. I found the knife and price ($200) but it was just a little different from the picture. I figured it might've been an older design and sent them an email asking about it. They replied and asked if I could send a pic of the knife and so off to get my camera and sent them a pic.

Get a reply back a couple hours later, the knife is a fake! Seems that the Chinese have been making copies and selling them, right down to using the companies logo!!! I went from to oh well, guess I learned a cheap lesson. Sure is one heck of a nice looking knife though.
No time for rearranging.