The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 29, 2014, 09:50 PM   #1
ZVP

Forming holsters?

I just bought a Triple-K Hickock holster from Cabela's and tried to form and contour it to one of my '51 Navy's.
That leather is pretty thick and the water soak (2 minutes) and hand rubbed contouring didn't form very well.
I think the thickness of the leather preventrf getting sharp contours from showing through, though the basic form transfered pretty well and the revolvers holster easier.
I used a .44 caliber Brasser to open the shape up to help it accept a .36 standard model Navy. I hope the slightly larger cylinder will make the holster keep the slightly larger form.
Should I worry about getting sharper contours in the thick leather or just be content with what I have?
I'm suprised that this "Bargan"holster is made of such thick leather! It'swell stiched and the belt loop is angled to place the grip "up" when worn strong side. This is really neat because it gives the chance to wear the holster Cross-Draw, with a nice rake to it! I was wondering where I could find a nice cross-draw for my soon delivered standard 7 1/2" Navy model. Problem cured!
Back to getting a better revolver imprint, is there any other way than water and rubbing to get a sharper imprint?
For $24 and change, this holster is a deal!
Old October 30, 2014, 05:28 AM   #2
Snyper

You might be able to use some strategically placed clamps to help define the shape, but personally I'd just let time do it rather than try to rush things
Old October 30, 2014, 06:25 AM   #3
NoSecondBest

A two minute soak isn't nearly long enough. If the holster has any oils or finish on it, it won't even begin to get pliable in two minutes.
Old October 30, 2014, 06:51 AM   #4
tobnpr

Perhaps a bit OT because you're talking about leather....but have you considered forming it from Kydex?

I just received my Alien Gear IWB holster- my first using Kydex- and the stuff molds tight around the gun (including the grip slots machined in the slide).

I've never used it (yet), but the molding process looks like a pretty straightforward DIY project.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old October 30, 2014, 08:04 AM   #5
Grizz12

In the past I would soak the holster in water until it was SOAKING wet and dripping. I would shake off the excess and let drip while I wrapped my gun in plastic wrap. I stick the gun in the holster and then vacuum seal with my food vacuum sealer. Let it sit over night before opening, remove the gun and let the leather air dry for a day or two and it will shrink and be shaped to your weapon.

One more thing, oil up your gun before wrapping it, the vacuum will push water into every nook and may cause some rust.
Old October 30, 2014, 08:25 AM   #6
wogpotter

Quote:
A two minute soak isn't nearly long enough. If the holster has any oils or finish on it, it won't even begin to get pliable in two minutes.
This^^^^

Unless you've felt the leather getting softer it hasn't.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old October 30, 2014, 10:28 AM   #7
ZVP

Thanks guys!
See what I get for buying that book "Packing Iron"? Great book!
I guess I'll just use the slow process and let the holster just fit itself to the revolver.
I actually got some shapeing to the .44 cylinder revolver and a .36 fits pretty well. it stretched the leather just enough to open the top of the holster so the .36 cylinder fits securely.
I know I didn't get the leather soaked, but evidently it got wet enough to stretch a bit!
I love the look of the old Slim Jims that have taken shape to even the loading lever! I guess I'll have to be content with what I have because I don't even have a food vacuume sealer (good idea!).
Thanks again
ZVP