The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old February 6, 2014, 06:41 PM   #1
the1mu

No Weapons Signage

First off, I live in Washington where there is no force of law for signage. Secondly, I try to never go to a place and spend money where there are no weapons permitted signs. Thirdly, I always look at the front of stores to see if there is any visible signage before going in.

I have always been pleasantly surprised at how little signage my home state has including the mall (and movie theaters) where I sometimes take my not yet 2 year old daughter to play (she doesn't understand gloves and coats as being important so on even chilly days I try not to take her outside for too long). As always, I checked (again) for signage and proceeded to play with my daughter. At one point, I noticed a code of conduct posting near the main entrance. It was only about 11x16 in size with relatively small size.

The second "rule" was no weapons, (and it said this) even those that may be possessed with a legal permit. Needless to say, I was disappointed. I was also frustrated that it was not more clearly displayed. If perhaps I had been noticed by mall security (I generally carry OWB with a shirt covering my gun) they could have asked me to leave and have that code to back them up (no force of law, just trespassing if I didn't comply). One, that I'm sure 99% of the people have never seen or read.

Now I have to decide if I will ever go back there or not (play place is free). What would you do? And why?
Old February 6, 2014, 07:21 PM   #2
Microgunner

I completely ignore the signs and go about my business.
If there is a convenient option without the weapons ban signage then I opt for permitted business, but otherwise I pay no attention.
I've been carrying for 27 years and find no one notices I carry, even when I think it's obvious.
Old February 6, 2014, 07:53 PM   #3
glh17

Carrying in a no guns allowed zone is a criminal offense in TN and is subject to a $500 max fine. However, the sign must closely follow the state requirements to be valid.

Based on my reading of the law, a no guns allowed statement that is part of list of prohibitions or is not conspicuous at all entrances isn't satisfactory, although one of those picture signs of a gun with a slash through it qualifies.
Old February 6, 2014, 08:16 PM   #4
KeeperOath

Guns or no guns:

Places should let us know if they have guns inside to protect us or not. If they do not then tell us that we need to provide our own if we want protection. A simple "Yes Guns" or "No Guns" is all that is needed. Either way, just let us know. I do not mine carrying concealed.
Old February 6, 2014, 08:29 PM   #5
Garycw

Other than airports, courthouses etc., I've always looked at them as more of a suggestion than a rule. Kind of like the 5-9 miles over speed limit on the interstate.
Old February 6, 2014, 08:50 PM   #6
cjwils

Private property owners can enforce whatever rule they like, although I think their enforcement is limited to asking you to leave and charging you with trespass if you don't. However, in some malls, the line between private and public space may be blurry.
Old February 6, 2014, 09:30 PM   #7
dakota.potts

They could charge you with trespassing whether or not there is a "no guns" sign on the door. In your state, if you are correct about them having no force of law, the sign has no effect on you either way.
Old February 6, 2014, 10:11 PM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

We've been down this road dozens of times before. There really aren't any new points to be made.
Old February 6, 2014, 10:37 PM   #9
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Adding to the Closing Remarks by Tom Servo.

the1mu, your opening post was off topic. You weren't asking about a particular law, a set of laws or a civil rights question. You stated some facts, already knew the consequences should your actions be discovered, and asked for everyone's opinion, as to what they would do.

You want opinions on already known facts and consequences? Please, go to the General Discussion Forum, next time.

I would have closed this on those grounds.
Closed Thread