The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 10, 2013, 11:46 PM   #51
BIG P

Just while Deer season is in,not for yotes,or hogs never seen another hunter out there 10 + years.
Old February 11, 2013, 11:57 AM   #52
RevGeo

Only when hunting on public land or private land open to other hunters. Then it's just a blaze orange ball cap. Orange is not required here in Idaho during big game season.
I like the post further back about wearing an orange vest over a couple of hundred bucks worth of camo. I find it interesting that camo has become such a fashion statement. I do wear an old red and black mackinaw jacket when hunting. It may not be as cool looking as camo, but it does go with my boots and pack
Old February 11, 2013, 12:16 PM   #53
johnwilliamson062

My vest is orange camo and works great so I wear it when hunting.

One thing to think about, if you or your loved ones run on public land in the fall they should also wear orange or a neon green/yellow traffic vest.
Old February 11, 2013, 02:49 PM   #54
huntinaz

I generally do not as I am not required to by law. However, there are times when I feel it is appropriate, like when I'm in a heavily hunted area. Or this year I was on an antlerless elk hunt, and my dad pointed out that the hood on my coat looked just like an elk's mane (by golly he was right). I definitely draped the orange flap from my pack around the hood.
Old February 11, 2013, 03:02 PM   #55
L_Killkenny

There was a day when I avoided blaze orange like the plague whenever the law allowed and sometimes when it did not. Fast forward a few years and a couple close calls and I wear it when ever there is the slightest chance someone else may be in the woods or field with a gun.
Old February 11, 2013, 03:06 PM   #56
BuckRub

No, we do t have to in Texas but its a good idea if one is hunting where others are or poachers could be. I hunt about 50 yards behind my house so I don't.
Old February 11, 2013, 04:09 PM   #57
SPEMack618

We had problems with poachers at work a couple of seasons a go. Whenever, I would take someone to thier stand or go look for somebody late checking in, I looked like a walking pumpkin.
Old February 11, 2013, 04:23 PM   #58
tahunua001

some states require Orange. Idaho doesn't so I don't wear it. if I lived in a state that requires it, I would.
Old February 11, 2013, 07:04 PM   #59
sc928porsche

I would rather wear it and not get shot.
Old February 11, 2013, 07:24 PM   #60
shortwave

Quote:
I would rather wear it and not get shot.
..and as far as deer hunting goes, hunter orange has never made a difference in my success/failure rate in taking deer but may have kept me alive a time or three.

Far as turkey hunting, I carry a hunter orange bag for packing out my querry. More people accidently shot while turkey hunting then any other hunting.
Old February 11, 2013, 09:29 PM   #61
reynolds357

We should not have to wear orange, but unfortunately a small percentage of hunters who are idiots make it a necessity.
Old February 12, 2013, 03:59 AM   #62
bamaranger

I hate wearing orange

Seems silly to put on a full set of camo clothes and then plunk an orange hat on your head, (100 sq inches) but that's what AL requires in areas open to gun deer huntng.

Except that, once you get up in an elevates stand a certan height, it is no longer required. So a popular item is a reversible hat. But..........I do the vast bulk of my deer hunting on public land that is usually closed to gun hunts, but open for archery. Somehow, I feel cleaner.........
Old February 12, 2013, 06:23 AM   #63
natman

Quote:
Seems silly to put on a full set of camo clothes and then plunk an orange hat on your head, (100 sq inches) but that's what AL requires in areas open to gun deer huntng.

Deer's eyes are different than human's and they don't perceive red and orange the way we do. To them it's just another shade of green.

Orange clothing is not required in CA, but I wear orange or orange camo clothing when out in the woods during rifle season whether hunting or not. The only exception is turkey hunting.
Old February 12, 2013, 10:32 AM   #64
L_Killkenny

Quote:
We should not have to wear orange, but unfortunately a small percentage of hunters who are idiots make it a necessity.
It doesn't take an idiot to accidentally shoot something they don't even know is there. Fact is that shooters can and do miss, bullets do go thru critters. If you're on the other side of that critter and not wearing orange than it's 100% on you if you get your ass shot. Not on the guy pullin the trigger. The idiot is the guy not wearing orange.

Quote:
Yep pretty silly. But then again for most hunting putting on a full set of camo is silly all by itself. It's not the orange that's over rated it's the camo you put underneath it.
Old February 12, 2013, 11:10 AM   #65
shortwave

Well said L_K.

Too, some may not know but there are anti-hunting organizations out there that the main topic they use to promote their anti-hunting agenda is hunting related shootings/accidents. These groups are not hard to find with a quick 'Google'...

...soooo, since I love to hunt, and wearing orange whether required or not is a proven method of helping preserve what I love to do by cutting down on hunting related shootings , it seems a small thing to do.

FWIW, putting hunter orange on a camo ground blind is a good idea as well. Animals just don't pay attention to it but another hunter can see it from afar.
Old February 12, 2013, 11:17 AM   #66
globemaster3

Growing up in FL, there was an orange requirement during deer gun season. A vest met the requirements, but I would usually shed it once I got in the stand. Why wear orange when I've got all this camo, thought I.

First assignment at Fairchild AFB in Spokane, WA, and shortly after arrival I found myself invited to hunt some private land for the ongoing gun season. Despite my most ardent searching, I could not find my vest.

The landowner chuckled at my conundrum, and offered me a huge orange parka. So I hit the woods looking much akin to a blaze orange marshmallow with this huge parka, never once thinking I would actually see something.

I sit on the ground, back against a blowdown, at the top of a ravine, thinking every animal in sight will know I am there, when I see movement coming up the ravine. I count a handful of deer. I shoulder my rifle and wait. Lead deer is a buck, 5 point, and he's working his way STRAIGHT towards me. I wonder how long he will continue this suicidal trek, as its obvious he MUST see this blaze orange blimp sitting there, and certainly one of those does is going to blow soon.

He kept up his casual death march.

Finally, with him at 25 yards, and more deer spread out behind him casually browsing, I decided to end my "how close will be get without seeing me" experiment with a shot to the chest, head on and slightly downward. Game over.

Now, there was nothing of significance between me and him or the others for that matter. By all accounts, he should have seen me. They all should have. But, they didn't. That's when I started believing about how deer see orange.

Don't get me wrong, I still think camo helps, and don't voluntarily wear orange during archery, but I am also not concerned about it during gun season.
Old February 12, 2013, 04:49 PM   #67
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by globemaster3
They all should have. But, they didn't. That's when I started believing about how deer see orange.

Don't get me wrong, I still think camo helps, and don't voluntarily wear orange during archery, but I am also not concerned about it during gun season.
The most recent research I've seen indicates that not only do deer not see Orange, or rather see it as another shade of brown, they also do not see small details beyond a distance of about 30 yards.

In other words, almost all of the currently marketed camo, with it's high-detail, dark-colored visualizations of various forest background, looks essentially like a solid color to any deer farther away than about 30 yards.

The most effective patterns, therefore, are those that have large patches of highly contrasting sections, or a light background with SMALL patches of dark colors. ASAT and the LIGHT COLOR version of the newer Scent Lock Vertigo being two examples.
Old February 12, 2013, 05:12 PM   #68
souther33

I would on public land but not on family or your land
but if it is required then yes
Old February 12, 2013, 05:36 PM   #69
Major Dave (retired)

Keg, comment #42

You are right that Texas does not require Blaze Orange - ON PRIVATE LAND.

But when you hunt National Forest (Davey Crocket, Angelina, Sam Houston, etc.), and/or the numerous Wildlife Management Areas, and/or numerous Type II areas, BO is required.

Also
Fort Hood (Killeen), Fort Bliss (El Paso), Camp Bullis (San Antonio), etc.

I'm just saying.
Old February 12, 2013, 11:23 PM   #70
doofus47

yep.
Rules is Rules...
Old February 13, 2013, 12:32 AM   #71
jason_iowa

When its required by law. I don't like getting shot at.
Old February 13, 2013, 01:28 AM   #72
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Sweet pic Frankenmauser, I thought youd be taller!
Thanks.
I'm fairly average - 5' 10" or so, after the day's shrinkage.
Old February 13, 2013, 02:55 AM   #73
Brotherbadger

During Rifle season for Deer: Yes, as it is required by law(here).

During Spring Turkey Season: No, as it is not required.

During Bow Season for Deer: No(not required)

Basically, i won't wear it unless the law requires it. However, in my area there isn't much Turkey pressure, or pressure during bow season. If i hunted in a high pressure area, i might change my tune. I also hunt on private property, so that makes my situation a bit different.
Old February 13, 2013, 08:55 AM   #74
stevelyn

Noop. Not required in AK.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old February 13, 2013, 01:10 PM   #75
Panfisher

During Firearms deer seasons, absolutely yes, vest and hat or coat and hat depending on weather. Missouri specifically says the "camo orange" doesn't count so its not an option for me.

If on a hunt with other people, example running rabbits with beagles where we are spread out and its easy to loose track of others, an orange hat is mandatory (or I don't unload my dogs).

If hunting with my son, absolutely.

Otherwise woods wandering, and hunting privately land for small game by myself generally not.

I have laughed at myself many times for wearing camo clothing and putting orange on over it, real reason for the camo its usually my favorite because it has lots of pockets and I like pockets. And I always carry an extra $5 vest in my fanny pack during deer season, have given one away to another person twice so far, once to a young kid who was looking for his dad, the kid was dressed in a mish mash of muted green and brown during rifle season.