The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 13, 2010, 09:22 AM   #1
tet4

new year's resolution - deer hunting

Hey all -

I've got a new year's resolution. A few years ago I moved to a part of the country that gives me much better access to hunting and wildlife in general. Before this I lived in large cities, so it just wasn't feasible to get into hunting and I wasn't all that interested.

However, I want to start deer hunting this fall/winter and I know I've got a lot of time between now and then so I want to do this the right way. I currently don't shoot rifles (I live in a brushy area of AL) and haven't shot one since I was a kid, so I'm thinking my first step is to pick up a used .22 and go to an appleseed event in the next few months.

After that, decide on a suitable center fire rifle some time in the spring/summer, get it and start familiarizing myself with that. Then in mid/late summer, start scouting some open hunting lands and getting the rest of the necessary gear. I'm not planning on going on multi-day trips. I'm just looking for a few places that I can drive within 30-60 min of my house so I can go out often on weekends for just a few hours for scouting and hunting.

My questions are more on the procedural lines of how/where to get information on AL hunting laws, where to take a hunter's safety course, what am I forgetting or don't know about, and good online references for a new beginner, etc, and is the timeline workable and do I have things straight or do I need to move some stuff around?

Oh, and I know many people will say - find a hunting buddy. Well, I'll try but in the event I can't find soemone, I'd like to be prepared.
Old January 13, 2010, 09:35 AM   #2
youp

Go to your local sporting emporium and inquire about a gun club, join it. Go Alabama fish and game department web site and check out laws. They also have biologists that can help. Get out from behind your computer and into the woods. Company is better there anyway. Have fun and good luck.
Old January 13, 2010, 12:44 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Most gun stores have the freebie copies of the state rulebook on hunting/fishing.

You'll likely find an Alabama-specific magazine in the rack at one of the big chain bookstores, with ads about hunt clubs.

Sometimes you find notices at the seed'n'feed stores, of landowners who lease for hunting. Those stores are also a good place to ask about local-area hunting.
Old January 13, 2010, 01:26 PM   #4
Major Dave (retired)

Some things to think about -

First, try to somewhat pinpoint your hunting area, and scout the terrain for a general idea of 2 things:

1) Is it brushy, lots of undergrowth, or more open. In other words, will most shots be close, medium range, or long range?

2) Taking terrain into consideration, what technique/tactics will be most suitable
Trail watch/ambush?
Still hunt/"sneak and peek"?
Tree stand/ground stand?
Bait (if legal) and shoot?
Organized drive - at least one driver and one stander
Use of hounds/dog pack (where legal)
Food plot overwatch (where legal)

Once you have decided on which one (or 2 or 3) of the tactics suit the terrain, then you can choose appropriate weapon action and caliber.

30-30 lever gun?
Bolt action (many calibers to choose from)
Pump action in 308, 30-06, etc
Semi-auto (many calibers possible)
Single shot
Shotgun ? Buckshot? Rifled slug?

You will need different equipment for each technique/tactic you decide to try. For example, trail watch/ambush can be from a ground blind or a tree stand. Tree stands can be "strap on" requiring some type of steps to be affixed to the tree (several types can be used), or "self-climbing" (for straight trunked trees with few limbs, such as yellow pine), or "ladder stand" (which combine a ladder with a seat and footrest all in one - and used on trees that don't have straight trunks and/or have too many low branches to trim off.

I haven't began to scratch the surface, but I don't want to overwhelm you. Just start with terrain, then one appropriate technique, then appropriate weapon (action/caliber). If your .22 is the same action type as your deer rifle, it will make it easier to transition from one to the other. Same thing with the sights - scoped deer rifle, scoped 22. Open sight deer rifle, open sight 22.

When it comes to caliber choice, there is a huge array of OK calibers, starting with .243 (smaller calibers require great care to be effective) up to any .30 caliber (larger calibers cause too much meat damage). Don't get hung up on which one is BEST. You could start a 100 page thread on this forum if you asked for opinions on BEST cartridge for deer! I will only say that slow moving, round nose cartridges are NOT best beyond 200 yards - 30-30, 32 Rem, pistol cartridges (even when used in a rifle), for example.

Even if you narrowed caliber choice down to best for - each technique, there is no ONE best. Just "most favorite" (308, 270, 30-06, 7 Rem Mag, 300 WM, etc).

Generally, lever actions, pump actions, and semi-autos are for rapid initial and followup shots, close range to medium range. They are accurate enough for deer, but not for tight "paper punching" groups.

Generally, again, bolt actions are a little slower to throw up to your shoulder quickly (taking a snap shot, if you are still hunting/sneaking and peeking, etc.). Bolt actions are also, generally, considered more accurate, which is primarily a concern for longer range game shooting, and tight "paper punching" groups.

Single shot actions may be quick to shoulder, allowing a snap shot, but slowest for followup shots. Some are accurate to long range, some not so much. They can be really light weight. Some are designed to have easily interchanged barrels, allowing numerous caliber barrels on the same buttstock/action.

You can keep it simple, or you can make it complex - whatever suits you - and the available terrain you will hunt.

Concerning your time frame, my suggestion is - DO IT NOW! Get out on the terrain and look for cast off antlers - sheds. Shed hunting will tell you what class of bucks survived this most recent season, and where the animals feed, bed, and travel during hunting season. Look for tracks, and scrapes, and rubs on trees. If you wait until late spring, or later, the sheds will have been eaten by rodents, and the trails will not be the same places as hunting season trails.

Have fun - be safe.

Last edited by Major Dave (retired); January 14, 2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Typo
Old January 14, 2010, 01:05 AM   #5
semi_problomatic

As far as a gun the 45-70 may be a good option too. In Mississippi its legal to use during primitive weapon (black powder) season even though its a centerfire cartridge. So it'll extend your hunting season without you having to buy another rifle. And they're pretty effective out to 200 yards if you're a decent shot.

Can't give you any better advice than whats already been given about finding a spot to hunt.

Wouldn't get too fancy on the gear though. You can get a ladder stand pretty cheap if thats the way you want to hunt. A big orange vest and some warm clothes. And that scentless mosquito repellant!!!

Also if you're just getting into it, you may want to consider going on some paid hunts. I don't know your financial situation but success breeds success. So it may not be a bad idea to go to a place thats just there for hunting and have a guide show you around a bit, so you can get a feel for things and kill something while you're at it so you don't get discouraged early.
Old January 14, 2010, 09:48 AM   #6
ojibweindian

This page will have what you need to know concerning Alabama's fish and game laws, licenses, fees, WMA's, etc: http://www.outdooralabama.com/hunting/

Deer season runs through the end of this month, and if you live in N. Alabama, James D. Martin - Skyline WMA has a hunt coming up in the next week or so. The WMA is in Jackson County, pretty close to Scottsboro. The area itself was hunted by Davey Crockett (pretty freakin' cool, if you ask me), specifically the Walls of Jericho area. Most of the WMA is fairly rough country. Mostly canyons, steep ridges, etc. The "Walls" area is reputed to have some huge deer, but you'll have to get pretty far down into the canyon to have a real chance at 'em. Also, ATV's are not allowed, so if you do go there and shoot a deer, be prepared to lug it up a good 300 - 500 feet up some rather steep terrain.

Last edited by ojibweindian; January 14, 2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old January 14, 2010, 06:33 PM   #7
tet4

Thanks all for the info! I found the AL hunting site, and found the online hunter's ed program. So, I'll have to do that soon and get that out of the way, and attend the 5 hour field trip too. :-) I'm going to be there with a bunch of 14 year olds!

Sounds like I should start scouting soon. It seems like there are a bunch of forrests and WMA areas within 1-2 hours so maybe I'll start popping over to them with my camera every once in a while. I love photography so it seems like a good marriage - scouting and photo op.

It seems like if I spend the next few months just getting stuff in order and reading up and trying to get to know some hunters I should be good to at least give it a whirl this upcoming season.

Thanks and any other advice would be awesome!
Old January 14, 2010, 06:43 PM   #8
youp

If you know your WMA, why don't you google earth them and just look before you head over.
Old January 14, 2010, 06:46 PM   #9
DiscoRacing

Keep your brass... even if you dont reload... you can sell it to those who do reload.... It will help finance a portion of your new ammo.
Old January 15, 2010, 09:15 AM   #10
tet4

So, another question - is it really worth trying to find private land to hunt on for the first time. I know several people suggested maybe a paid hunt the first few times, and that's a good idea. However, without that, is there a dramatic difference between private and public lands when the season starts? I feel like public lands would provide more scouting opportunities throughout the year and possibly excuses to go camping/hiking, but private land may not. What are your thoughts on how much time to look? If I do a paid hunt, then I guess no scouting would be necessary.
Old January 16, 2010, 02:26 PM   #11
James R. Burke

Your state should be able to get you a rule book, and let you know about a hunter safety course which is a great idea. Having a hunting buddy is also a good idea, and having people know were you are at, and expected time home etc. Cell phones are working great. Your state should be able to provide you with most info you will need. Give there web site a try. You also have a good idea on practicing, even to much cant hurt. Pracatice till you have that confidence you know you will hit what your aiming at. Shot placement is always key in my book no matter what caliber you choose to use. If you cant get placaement leave it walk. Might even come back or grow up and be bigger the next year. Leaving something walk because you can not get a good shot makes you a great sportsperson in my book. You will need to choose a gun and caliber. Lots will depend on the area you hunt. Some places shots are close because of cover, and some places you can get out there pretty far. State land should be easy for you to fine. D.N.R. or friends should be able to help you out there. I always scout out the area good, and try my best to stay away from other folks spots. Gives you a better chance, and shows some respect and gives a little safety. I always liked the 30-06 but that is just me every one has a favorite, and there are many calibers just has good or better. But that 06 you can get lot of differnt types of ammo for. I am sure you will get lots of replys on your post and welcome to the forum, there are some great folks here that know what they are doing and alway willing to help out. Good luck, keep it safe, and have fun!
Old January 17, 2010, 08:43 AM   #12
sc outdoorsman

Others advice is very good. If you can find a friend or neighbor whom you can TRUST to show you the ropes it will be a great help. There are people who want the sport to grow and have more people involved so we keep our traditions alive. You can pick their brains ,maybe shoot a rifle or two and get through alot of frustration trying to learn on your own You just need to make sure they care about and respect the animals, the land and especially they are careful with their weapons.
I hunted on public land for many years and did fairly well. The best advice I can give you is to not be lazy. You need to work harder to be succesfull. You need to be willing to hunt several places and move with your prey. You also need to try to pick stands that use terrain and other hunters to push deer to you. These will be located a good way in from roads and require a good walk to get to them as most hunters are lazy and dont get far from roads. The only way to find these areas is to scout and hunt a place for a few years. It may not be easy but you will learn alot in the proccess.

Last edited by sc outdoorsman; January 17, 2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old January 17, 2010, 09:09 AM   #13
SEHunter

in my opinion, you should not waste money on the 22, unless you wanted to have one anyway which is fine, i love mine. Being you are an adult, I would go ahead and start shooting what you will be hunting with. You are an adult so being responsible and using common sence will help you. All you need is a friend or someone who is willing to spend 30 minutes to an hour with you at a range or on some property where you can set up and target shoot your new rifle. This will help you get familiar with it. Just keep the muzzle up, keep it unloaded unless shooting, and chamber your round after you get situated in your stand. You can do this relatively quietly with most all guns.

There are all different types of terrain when you start going to different public tracks, hunt clubs, and private land so i would advise a more versitle gun, preferably somthing chambered in a bolt action gun. The 270 Win, 308 Win and 30-06 will all fill the bill. Lever guns with 200 gr, + or -, are good guns and i have one but is not the best if you find you are in fields, power lines, etc. IMO a great beginner (and non beginner for that matter) gun will be the 308 chambered in a bolt gun.
Old January 17, 2010, 07:20 PM   #14
James R. Burke

SC Outdoorsman is correct on folks being lazy. They like to stay my the main roads. Were I am at I very seldom see anyone, and it is state land. Sometimes a few hunters are good to move things around, but I just as soon be by myself. With a four wheel drive which you need I am about five miles of the nearest gravel road. Then I am about a mile for a walk to the blind. I just stick to fairly big deer. One heck of a drag if you get one. I bought one of those deer sleds, I know they sound a look alittle stupid, but they work great. Snow or dry they do work good. Also thats were a hunting partner pays off. I make sure there is a few folks that stay familar with were I am at just in case. My cell phone works from that area also, and I carry a G.P.S. Seem like you always get a deer aroung dusk, and when your done it's black out. Good flashlights and the G.P.S. work great if you should need them. So far never needed the G.P.S. I hunt with the wife so what I dont have she does, even some first aid stuff. I take coumadin which is a blood thinner. Little cuts no problem, but if I get a big one major problem. Got her into hunting worring about me. Which turned out to be great. Since she started were two for two. But no doubt she made some nice shots, and was a fast learner. She is very safe, and figures the most you could do being to safe is miss a deer, and she is correct better than any accident.
Old January 17, 2010, 08:33 PM   #15
sc outdoorsman

I hope I was not misunderstood in my previous post. What I meant by letting other hunters push deer to you is to let people walking in to their stands and leaving their stands spook deer and move them by your stand. That is why terrain is so important. If you can find bottlenecks on the opposite side of heavily hunted areas you will kill deer. That is where the scouting and time comes into play. These places sometimes are not obvious until you observe both your prey and other hunters. Sometimes the deer will not move when expected on heavily hunted areas. I killed lots of deer late in the morning and early afternoon on public land between 10am and 3pm. That is when people leave the stand in the morning and go to the stand in the afternoon. Know your prey but also know your competition. I have one of those deer carts as well and they are worth every penny when you need to move a deer a good ways to your truck.

Last edited by sc outdoorsman; January 17, 2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old January 17, 2010, 08:42 PM   #16
2rugers

I have not lived in Alabama since the 80's but at that time it was full of public hunting opportunities.

U.S. pipe and Kimberly Clark come to mind.

Don't know where you are but good hunting was readily available and cheap west of Columbiana.
Old January 20, 2010, 12:23 AM   #17
tet4

Great ideas from everyone - thanks so much! I think I've got most of the info I need, and now I just need to make it happen. Thanks for the positive feedback and great encouragement!