The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 2, 2010, 10:07 PM   #1
BlackFeather

Frozen goose, What do I do?

I didnt know where to put this and it has been a long while since i've posted anything.

I have a goose from a friend that was frozen directly after death, I need to know what needs to be done in order to clean and pluck it. Its innards are still present and im not even sure if its still good, didnt think it would be but worth a try...

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old January 2, 2010, 10:42 PM   #2
Catfish25p2000

Dude, throw that nasty bird out in a field for the coyotes! The meat will be bad if it still has its guts in it. Don't even mess with the dirty bird.
Old January 2, 2010, 11:01 PM   #3
BlackFeather

Thought so...

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old January 2, 2010, 11:12 PM   #4
troy_mclure

toss it.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 3, 2010, 01:00 AM   #5
Fat White Boy

Set it up 100 yards downwind and wait for a coyote to come in on it for dinner...
Old January 3, 2010, 02:28 AM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

FWB is spot on...

As others kinda elude to... NO EDIBLE MEAT PRODUCT IS TO BE CONSIDERED EDIBLE IF FROZEN WITH GUTS INTACT.... Unless it is a starvation issue, at which time... I would eat frozen maggot turds...
Brent
Old January 3, 2010, 11:00 AM   #7
Pahoo

Quote:
I have a goose from a friend
Do you still call him your friend? Not only that, but perhaps, not an ethical hunter. Have a neighor that phoned me and asked me if I know how to clean a Pheasant and of course I said I did. She had asked two other friends that if they ever got any Phesants that they did not want, she would take them. Sure enough, they left them on the porch after coming in from the field. Thankfully they were not frozen. Don't get me wrong, I have given away game but it's always cleaned, washed and usually frozen and wrapped. It's all part of the hunt that my Grandsons are being taught. This Goose is not worth the the chance of getting food poisoning.

Be Safe !!!
Old January 3, 2010, 12:10 PM   #8
treg

I read about a chef in some high falutin' New York City restaurant that was also a hunter. He would freeze his game birds uncleaned, then thaw and clean them as needed.

The meat is not neccessarily bad. Your goose meat will mostlly depend on how long it was dead before freezing. If you know that it froze shortly after dying it should be good.I would thaw the goose and fillet the breast meat out and rinse it well. If it smells funny after cleaning or cooking at least you tried. By cooking thoughrouly you will kill any harmful bacteria. Use a temp prob if you're not sure. You can still use the rest for coyote bait.

Your friend needs to know that gifted game needs to be cleaned unless previously discussed.
Old January 3, 2010, 12:13 PM   #9
Dragon55

By golly HOGS

Quote:
... I would eat frozen maggot turds...
I too would have to be pretty dern hungry!!:barf:
Old January 3, 2010, 02:00 PM   #10
LateNightFlight

Leaving the bird whole, uncleaned, and hanging it for up to 7 days is actually a recipe for game birds. Some subscribers to the method hang it by the head, and when the head separates and the body falls, it is "ready" for preparation and cooking. My understanding is that the enzymes from bacteria make the meat more tender and flavorful.

I'll take a pass on those methods. Wild birds can be carriers of bacterial pathogens like e-coli and salmonella, which can even propagate on a cold carcass - as in the example of the "good bacteria" that survives and propagates to tenderize and flavor the meat of hanged birds. (This is the actual process in making things like salami. But if you get it wrong, it can kill you!)

Personally, I'll stick with game that has been cleaned and cooled ASAP. What's more, since freezing alone does not kill all the bacteria, I prefer recipes that get every bit of the meat up to 160 degrees. I can cure any dryness from cooking to 160 by adding gravy or sauce a lot easier than a doctor can cure an e-coli infection. (I've never worried about cuts of venison. I frequently cook this rare and have never had a problem... knock on wood.)

Last edited by LateNightFlight; January 3, 2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old January 3, 2010, 03:25 PM   #11
BobR

Quote:
Leaving the bird whole, uncleaned, and hanging it for up to 7 days is actually a recipe for game birds.
Pheasant in Scotland come to mind for this treatment. While staying there for a week or so thanks to our best Uncle we became friends with a pub/restaurant owner and he took us down into his basement to show us how the whole birds were hung. He said he would normally hang the bird for 2 weeks or so.

The big difference here was the birds were never frozen.

bob
Old January 3, 2010, 03:52 PM   #12
Buzzcook

In theory it should be ok. In practice it's better not to risk it.

The problem is thawing it and cleaning it quickly enough. Many of the cases of holiday food sickness is because turkeys are improperly thawed. Add the time needed to clean and pluck the bird and you're well into the danger zone.
Old January 3, 2010, 11:13 PM   #13
banditt007

I personally wouldn't touch something that was frozen w/ the guts intact....honestly how long does it take to breast out or gut a bird!!??? If you are set on trying it, like another poster suggested i'd breast it out and make sure it doesn't smell funny, or feel slimey ect. Then cook thoroughly. Again if it tastes weird i'd just chuck it.
Old January 4, 2010, 03:17 AM   #14
impalacustom

I age all of my game birds with the entrails and feathers on. I age them at about 50 degrees for anywhere from 4-10 days then pluck and gut them. You won't get a bird with better flavor or more tender. Now I have never froze one with everything intact, I would think that it might not be the best idea to eat it and I'd err on the safe side and feed a coyote with it.
Old January 4, 2010, 09:53 PM   #15
bangbang777

Do yourself and your dinner guests a favor. CHUNK IT!
Old January 4, 2010, 10:44 PM   #16
Gbro

Two have said,
Quote:
If you are set on trying it, like another poster suggested i'd breast it out and make sure it doesn't smell funny
Well now, that would sort of rule out eating any goose IMO (note the missing H)

As far a freezing a bird with natures stuffing shouldn't hurt a goose like some say,
Quote:
I age all of my game birds with the entrails and feathers
To each his own
For all of us 50 and up, our parents or surely our grandparents had to dress any bird bought at the market.
All water foul sold at market was just like it was when picked from the water, unless a few 180's were required.
The secret to good goose is 2 weeks without anything to eat. (Maybe)
Old January 5, 2010, 12:43 AM   #17
jhgreasemonkey

Bummer. Goose is soooooooooooooooooo goooooooooooood. Cooked one for christmas dinner.
Old January 5, 2010, 01:46 AM   #18
grubbylabs

I turn all my Duck and Goose into sausage. I use High Mountain Italian seasonings and 3lbs of bird and 2lbs of pork so that it has some fat for the sizzle in the skillet. I really like it. Great in red sauce.
Of course I would start with a different Goose

Last edited by grubbylabs; January 5, 2010 at 01:51 AM.
Old January 5, 2010, 12:24 PM   #19
Magnum Mike

Depends on how long it was dead before freezing. I have shot geese in minus 10 degree weather before. By the time I was home they were froze solid. I'd put them in a plastic bag in the frig for 2 days then breast them. The meat was still a little froze because of the feathers and my fingers hurt from the cold. I think geese smell anyways but still a treat to eat.
Old January 5, 2010, 08:22 PM   #20
langenc

In the 50s when your mothers/grandmas went to the store for a chicken it went like this::

Ma told the butcher she needed a chicken. He picked a couple up and asked which one. They agreed on the bird. The butcher weighed it AND then drew it, (removed guts) and it was NOT frozen.
Old January 6, 2010, 10:11 AM   #21
troy_mclure

one of the biggest things people are forgetting when saying "its fine, my mom/grandma bought them like that at the butcher shop".

well those birds were killed either by beheading, or neck breaking. NOT pellets punching thru the intestines to spread the bacteria in there thru the whole cavity, and possibly the whole goose.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 6, 2010, 11:01 AM   #22
cheff

Quote:
well those birds were killed either by beheading, or neck breaking. NOT pellets punching thru the intestines to spread the bacteria in there thru the whole cavity, and possibly the whole goose.
Bingo!! That makes a huge difference.
Old January 6, 2010, 11:53 AM   #23
johnwilliamson062

about 10,000 people die every year from food poisoning in the US.
The numbers used to be much higher although they were not tracked well so definitive figures are not available.
"24 hour flu" Absolutely no relationship to the influenza virus. Almost always some sort of food poisoning.
The first month I lived in Taiwan I was sick about every other day until my body got used to the bacteria from food storage like this.
For almost every action you take you are "rolling the dice."
Just b/c your Grandma and Grandpa were able to roll the dice daily and made it through doesn't mean there wasn't a risk or that you won't get sick when your body isn't used to this sort of thing.

All that being said, I would try it.
Old January 7, 2010, 02:33 AM   #24
HiBC

Myself,once I was given a frozen goose in one of my less prosperous periods.maybe I could not afford coffee.

It was a few years old,broken leg protruding from puntured foil.I decide we would save a little money on food for my daughter's pesky cat.I didn't even like the cat.So,with no trace of my inner Galloping Gourmet,I tossed the bird in a pot of water and simmered it a while.No Bay leaf,Garlic,thyme,not even any salt.

darn,the house started smelling good!!

Way it worked out,we got some real good sandwiches and the cat got to pick bones.

Then,I figure road kill deer that is still loose and warm is groceries,and my kid liked it with catsup.

Nothing wrong with making it pet food,cook it.

It would probably work to work it as it thaws,skin it,filet the breasts off,and toss the rest,but,how much is a case of squirting and barfing worth??How truly hungry are you?
Go shoot your own goose!!

I live in the land of Chronic Wasting Disease,and I politely decline such delicacies as the venison salami 3 finger harry's taxdermy and game processing made from a co-worker's deer and maybe 7 other guys deer all in one 100 lb batch.
take care of yourself.
Old January 9, 2010, 01:26 AM   #25
T. O'Heir

Not much eatin' on maggot excrement.
Hanging a bird isn't the same as freezing one.
"...foul..." Exactly.