The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 23, 2002, 11:04 PM   #1
Watchman

CZ-75 Clone

I took a CZ-75 clone in on a trade and I dont know much about it. Perhaps some of you RKI's could help me out.

Its a 9 MM and it came with 3 -15 shot mags. The gun was made in Italy, the box says F.A.B. but it was imported by E.A.A. out of Florida.

The gun is a solid as a rock and appears to be very well made. It has an ambidexturous safety, and extended slide release, and serrations on the front of the slide.

The gun has a bright blue finish that is outstanding. It appears to have wanut grips on it.

The sights are fixed and the rear is adjustable for windage. The more I play with it the more I like it, it fits my hand very well, but the trigger sucks.

How could I improve the trigger? The gun is very accurate, I cant help but think it'd be more so with a decent trigger.

Ive looked around on the net but cant seem to find much on it.
Thanks for any help.
Old February 24, 2002, 12:03 AM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Sounds like the EAA Witness. They are not bad guns at all, and considering that they run a hundred bucks or more under the CZ pistol, they are (IMO) good buys.

Check out their impressive web site at www.eaacorp.com for more info.

Jim
Old February 24, 2002, 09:32 AM   #3
Watchman

Thanks for the link Jim...

It has the same frame as the Witness, but the saftey is different as is the slide release which is a bit longer and different stlye.

Basically it looks the same but it is not. The slide only has serrations on the front. Where is E.A.A. made ?

It's got to be a clone. Could it be a special run for a large dealer here in the states ? Personally, I like the slide release and the ambi saftey better than the stock models. Its easier to get to.
Old February 24, 2002, 10:26 AM   #4
stans

I think what you have is a FAB 92, it is a copy of the CZ-75, but has a slide mounted hammer dropping safety. These pistols, like the EAA Witness and TZ-75, were made by Tanfoglio of Italy. They are generally good shooters.
Old February 24, 2002, 10:47 AM   #5
Watchman

Stans:

You scored a direct hit. FAB92 is stamped on the slide. I guess I forgot to mention that.

An you tell me anything more about it ? How much is it worth ? I would guess somewhere in the 300 range ?

How come I cant find anything on it ? Got any links ? Thanks
Old February 24, 2002, 11:08 AM   #6
Watchman

Ok...I just got back form the Tangfoglio site...

It appears that I have a "standard" pistol in the "defence" catagory. What threw me was this gun does not have Tangfolio stamped on the frame like the illustration does. Mine appears to have custom grips on it.

Now the big question...

how can I fix that atrocious trigger pull ?
Old February 28, 2002, 10:11 AM   #7
Strayhorn

Watchman -

Since the safety on the FAB is different from the CZ, I'm afraid that the instructions I have for a trigger job on a CZ would not apply here so I won't take up space with them.

However, the main problem I see on these guns (both the CZ and the various Tanfoglio clones) is that the hammer notch is cut too deep, and the sear angles are wrong.

The hammer notch can be cut down to .15 on a CZ and it will still be safe. The sear angles often cause the hammer to move backward when pulling the trigger from the full-cock position (i.e., the hammer is cammed back). Resetting sear angles takes a couple tools you probably don't have, but most importantly it takes a practiced hand to to this without making the gun unsafe.

The good news is that this is a fairly common job and most 'smiths I know do several a year, and it's no big deal.

The quick, cheap thing to do is clean the sears and hammer notch very carefully and apply one of the new hi-tech greases, such as Militech or Tetra-Gun. That will help.

"We spent the night at Strayhorn's farm, about nine miles from Hillsboro."
-- Lt.Gen. Wade Hampton
Old March 2, 2002, 12:31 AM   #8
Watchman

Strayhorn:

Thanks for the info. Actually ,I do have the tools that it takes, stones, angle guages ,milling machines and the like. Ive done a bunch of 1911 45.s its just that Ive never messed with a CZ ,TZ or FAB before. I can see that they are not as simple as a government model.

I have noticed that the hammers tends to cam back when the trigger is pulled.

The gun is very accurate and fits my hand well. You probably know how it is once you get used to tuned triggers, you just cant live with one that is not. Pretty much all of my pistols have 4 pound triggers on them and a 9 pound trigger is not conducive to good accuracy.

Can you give me more details on sear angles ?